[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm in need of a short list (8-10) of pieces of audio manipulation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1176rack[1].jpg (228 KB, 1200x889) Image search: [Google]
1176rack[1].jpg
228 KB, 1200x889
I'm in need of a short list (8-10) of pieces of audio manipulation hardware that are essential for a recording studio. I'm particularly referring to a "traditional" studio, prior to the use of a DAW to perform functions such as compression, equalization, bouncing tracks.

So obviously I can add a hardware compressor, hardware EQ and a mixer to my list, but I need a couple more pieces of hardware and I want to hit the essentials, but I'm mostly only familiar with plug-ins and i'm not sure of the names you'd give to specific pieces of hardware

So, the OP image is a compressor rack... looking for a list of other equipment that perform different modulations like phasing, saturation etc. My guess is there's also a "hardware saturator" or "hardware phaser"
>>
Sorry, should've mentioned... I just got done making a chart listing price points and operating system compatibility of several DAWs like Ableton, FL, Reason etc... my next chart is going to be the essential pieces of audio modulation equipment and the price of purchasing all of them for use in a "traditional" studio, not using a modern DAW. I'm putting emphasis on the rediculous price of having a collection of hardware for audio production
>>
>>51633748
>muh dubstep
>muh placebo
>>
>>51633909
why would you even bother shitposting this thread? i'm working on a project for a information systems class and want input from someone that has a good understanding of audio hardware.
>>
>>51633937
Oh sorry i didnt see. I thought this was another consumerist thread. Carry on and good luck
>>
File: ssl-e-channel.jpg (175 KB, 357x690) Image search: [Google]
ssl-e-channel.jpg
175 KB, 357x690
>>51633748
A lot of times EQ and routing are done via the hardware built into the mixing console being used in an analog setup. Pic related is a plugin version of a single channel strip from an SSL console, minus the routing matrix and a couple other things.
>>
>>51634242
of course, these are the comparisons I'm making pretty much. Making it a point that for every functionality found within a DAW, there was in the past, (talking like 1970s-1990s i guess?) a piece of outboard hardware dedicated to performing that function.

So using FL Studio as an example, you might have the plugin Fruity Parametric EQ, which has all the capabilties but with far more potential than a standard hardware EQ routed to a mix track
>>
1. Mixer
2. EQ
3. Reverb
4. Compressor
5. Delay
6. Chorus
7. Distortion/overdrive
8. Pitch shifter
9. Phase shifter
10. Vocal correction ("autotune")
>>
>>51634536
>10. Vocal correction ("autotune")
There is no outboard equivalent for this I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>51634800
http://tascam.com/product/ta-1vp/
This is just one of many. They obviously didn't exist in "the old days" before microprocessors became prevalent though.
>>
>>51634800
Lol, you shouldn't be recording if you don't know this
>>
>>51633748
make sure you get a reel 2 reel for that phat analog bass
>>
>>51634800
You could switch it for a vocoder or harmonizer
>>
For saturation, just smash the audio with a compressor or limiter. Alternative is to get a sansamp.
>>
Since your not talking about DAW don't forget the multi channel recorder on top of the mixer since those are normally two different things in most analog studios.
>>
File: shekel.jpg (56 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
shekel.jpg
56 KB, 400x400
YOU NEED A RUN DMC CD

YOU MUST COPY TO DAW

DICE AS SAMPLES WITH REWIRE

THEN PUBLISH ON DISCOGZ

!!!
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.