[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I buy Apple because it's optimized for the hardware
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Jenny.png (70 KB, 250x182) Image search: [Google]
Jenny.png
70 KB, 250x182
>I buy Apple because it's optimized for the hardware it comes on.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=osx-capitan-fedora23&num=1
>>
To be fair, that's not what they're talking about. Most people care more about subjective responsiveness than hardcore number crunching.
>>
>>51633361
i remember reading about an iphone app developer forever ago

updated his app to load 2x as fast, but also added spinning wheels to tell the user something is going on while it loads.

People complained the app slowed down, he replaced the app with the OLD actually slower code as a test without the wheels, and people loved the speed increase.

Subjective performance is a much bigger issue than one may think.
>>
That's literally only said by pseudo-tech enthusiasts who want to sound knowledgeable and smart. 99% of Apple users buy Apple because of the shiny logo. The other 1% got one as a gift or was provided one by their employer.
>>
>>51633361
>>51633429
>>51633424
The OP has a point. Since Apple moved over from PPC to x86, I don't see a reason to use Apple when the majority of laptops can be made to work with linux nowadays.

I even like PPC era apple, except for the locked down bootloader and soldered RAM
>>
>>51633498
>I don't see a reason to use Apple when the majority of laptops can be made to work with linux nowadays.
People like OS X. They also like Apple's hardware designs even if it's no longer so distinctive.
>>
>>51633603
Right, but as I said I see no reason to use it when Ubuntu works on my Thinkpad.
>>
>>51633624
>ubuntu
get a load of this noob
>>
>>51635007
Arch was too involved to set up with full disk encryption. Gentoo/Funtoo are too. I just needed something for college.
>>
>>51633498
>I even like PPC era apple, except for the locked down bootloader and soldered RAM
The bootloader was only ever really "locked down" on the NuBus PowerPC models, which weren't terribly common, and even then it was still possible via some trickery to run Linux on most of them. As for soldered on RAM, in those days it tended to be some amount soldered on plus at least one slot so more could be added.
>>
>>51635235
Have you ever heard of Debian, fedora/CentOS, or opensuse?
>>
>>51635007
I have been using Arch for a long time and I am thinking of giving Ubuntu a shot. The minimal iso is not a bad idea.
>>
>>51633361
>subjective responsiveness
>subjective
"But--but--Apple is better at something that can't be measured!"
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.