[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Material Design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: layering.png (108 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
layering.png
108 KB, 1600x900
Now that we're two Android versions in, what does /g/ think of Material Design?
>>
File: google-play-music-android.png (227 KB, 600x355) Image search: [Google]
google-play-music-android.png
227 KB, 600x355
on board with it like 33% of the time.

google still has terrible designers. so many first party apps are entirely generic even with material.
>>
File: Music-Desktop-6.png (453 KB, 1000x593) Image search: [Google]
Music-Desktop-6.png
453 KB, 1000x593
>>51623013
oops wrong screenshot
>>
>>51623041
I actually like play music, its functional as fuck
>>
>>51622886
The problem is that Google way oversold it with the amazing animation demos at that one Google I/O a couple years back.

I think it's a pretty good look, certainly like it more than dreary pastels and frosted glass. They just overhyped for a fucking basic design language.
>>
>>51622886
It's fucking shit, Holo >>> Bloaterial
>>
>Material Design
Its copied flat design with a drop shadow and some stupid texture. Reminds me of 2000-2005 era websites.
>>
File: gmail-before-after.jpg (55 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
gmail-before-after.jpg
55 KB, 800x532
>>51622886

Needlessly reduced information density with bright colors and an awkward floating button.
>>
>Hey, let's remove information so that it's harder for the user to immediately see what they want to see!

Material design is garbage.
>>
>>51623375
Most things are but the shuffle button is the worst placement I've ever seen. Some of the idiots that do the UI amaze me
>>
>>51623928
Like what information?
>>
>>51623928
What are you talking about?
>>
>>51622886
It's beautiful except for the excessive whitespace.

>>51623419
It's not simple. You should read the design docs.
>>
>>51623996
>>51624017
Like this >>51623835

Plus they reduce the amount of actually useful space.
>>
>>51623928
information density = clutter

things don't become more useable just by throwing everything at the screen
>>
File: large.jpg (157 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
157 KB, 800x450
>>51624059
So you think overcluttered shit like this is good design?
>>
>>51624059
>a design language dictates dpi scaling
lol what the fuck m8
>>
The problem is google rusing developers who were around before material design. Then they update to material design but the ui winds up more obtuse since the app itself wasn't initially designed for the slightly more minimal feel of material design.
>>
>>51624117
The fuck are you talking about? Who the fuck talked about dpi?

>>51624101
No, but the picture on the left on >>51623835 is not overcluttered. The right one is oversimplified though.
>>
>>51622886
There's only two things I don't like about it.
This >>51623835 ,and the goddamn circular avatars that every app uses. Images are square by nature, it just seems super retarded to force them into circles for no real reason. I wouldn't even mind if most apps gave you a choice between circular and square, but most don't.
>>
>>51623835
I absolutely hate that "add" button in the right bottom corner.

Disgusting.
>>
File: components_cards_content1.png (633 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
components_cards_content1.png
633 KB, 720x1280
>>51624061
>information density = clutter

Not if you're a good designer. Plus, they're using a six inch screen as the benchmark for their UI. This is wasted space.
>>
>>51624231
that screenshot is well designed because there isn't much information there. It's literally 3 rectangles with clean art and short words overlayed on top.

coherency + glanceability > density
>>
>>51622886
Gud when developers can get it right.

Very aesthetic for sure.
>>
>>51624285

I don't need to glance at it from across the room. Unless it's a gallery app, there should be more than three items presented on that screen. That top card would be 3" x 2" in size on the N6.
>>
>>51624365
you wouldn't be able to glance at the material Gmail app across the room either. likewise, you're not going to read more than a subject line and a couple of words of each email while scrolling through your inbox, so why include 2 full lines? It's unnecessary.

the only other thing they changed was the time, the minutes of which are presented anyway if it's within the hour, and the FAB, which is closer to your natural thumb position while holding a phone.

The FAB also provides visual balance to the bold color bar at the top.
>>
>>51624471
>The FAB also provides visual balance to the bold color bar at the top.

kek is this what design students are taught in an attempt to justify paying tuition?

That button is stupid as fuck. Putting it as an icon in the top bar would both make more sense and save you from having part of an email covered for no reason.
>>
>>51624181
>Who the fuck talked about dpi?
you're implying that material design some how by default makes for less space on screen.
>>
>>51624502
>someone who uses language like "stupid as fuck" to justify his bullshit opinions putting down people who actually study this stuff for a living.
how queer.
>>
>>51624563
>being so effeminate you get upset over some harsh language on 4chan

You tried to save it by calling me queer, but it just smacks of being overly defensive about your sexuality and you didn't even attempt to refute my point.

2/10 thanks for playing.
>>
>>51624597
"provides visual balance" = theoretical approach that underpins a design choice.
"stupid as fuck" = random opinion from someone who hasn't thought about it at all.

yeah I think I'm gonna stick with the people who do this for a living and whose opinions actually matter.
>>
>>51624597
Actually I used queer in the traditional english sense of "strange". it was later co-opted by bigots. Don't blame the word.
>>
>>51624616
>le appeal to authority maymay

The people who "do this for a living" came up with an inefficient and stupid idea.

>>51624629
I don't have a meme arrow big enough for this one kek.
>>
>>51624222

it's gross.

I like material, but I think they should give gmail another go, because this isn't it.
>>
File: tumblr_npv8w8mdfv1tyyzzlo1_500.gif (2 MB, 500x272) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npv8w8mdfv1tyyzzlo1_500.gif
2 MB, 500x272
>>51624643
>le anti-authority maymay
how very anti-establishment of you!
>>
>>51623419
it was last year stop making me feel old
>>
For the life of me i don't understand why they got rid of the YouTube side panel. I love that menu, its basically a quick navi in any app. But no they had to take it off.
>>
>>51623720
it actually looks really really good with default browser chrome using windows classic theme

so that's a fair point.

if only designers back then had the sensibility to realize less is more

My only gripe with Google design principles is how they try to infantalize everyone into submission.

https://abc.xyz/ I mean fucking childrens blocks come on could you make it more blatantly obvious that your intent is to reduce everyone to toddlers who depend on you for everything and don't question anything you do

baka desu sempai
>>
My biggest gripe with Material Design is that it's not being used to its full potential. The only native Material app I've seen from Google that takes full advantage of the look and the animations is the dialer of all things.
>>
>>51625344
Googlew designers seem to enjoying stuff just for the sake of it.
>>
>>51623013

I blame the fact that most of their apps were written 5+ years ago with entirely different guidelines in mind.

It's why their newer apps like YouTube Music and Inbox are gorgeous while Play Music and OG YouTube are clunky and slow.
>>
>>51622886
I think it didn't really change anything for me.
>>
>>51623985
>using shuffle
theyre trying to discourage bad behavior. that's a good thing.
>>
>>51624563
>people who actually study this stuff for a living.

Studying "this stuff for a living" is no guarantee that you're a good designer, especially because the vast majority of people who "study this stuff for a living" are absolutely horrible at design since they care far more about making things "look good" than they do about making things utilitarian. Time after time designers step in and say "we need to clean this up," only to completely change the design to the ire of the users that they're supposed to be serving.
>>
Material Design is GOAT. I can't wait for Papyros to be ready so I can have material design on my desktop.
>>
>>5162288
It's nice, the animations they've built and enforced are really nice touches, but I miss Holo blue.
>>
Still using 4.4.4 on my droid 4. There are nice features in the CM -nightly 5.x builds but it saps battery faster overall, feels clunkier, and frankly the UI is a big step down. If 5.x ever becomes -stable or -milestone on this device then I expect I'll end up using xposed or whatever to force it back to looking and working how I like.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.