[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Keep windows 7/8 as botnet-free as possible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: windows10-download.png (139 KB, 728x400) Image search: [Google]
windows10-download.png
139 KB, 728x400
Hello /g/entoomen,

I'm going to be installing windows 7 or 8 on my new hard drive when it comes in a few days. I use gnu/linux for 99% of my day-to-day tasks, but it's not possible to drop windows for gaymen just yet.

I've looked for a list of updates to block in windows 7 and 8.1 to block the windows telemetry and have seen only a lot of old info that's probably missing most of the newest updates that push this "upgrade" on you. Is there some complete list that is kept up to date? I didn't see any list on the wiki. Supposedly the enterprise version doesn't have all the telemetry garbage but I don't trust that as far as I can throw Balmer's fat ass.

Also, is there a place I can get clean isos of win 7/8.1 that don't have the telemetry updates already baked in? I have a windows 8 iso on a usb drive but it takes forever to update after a fresh install, but it might be worth it since I imagine the official ms isos to not have the updates I'm trying to remove already installed.
>>
>>51622270
>I imagine the official ms isos to not have the updates I'm trying to remove already installed.

Should read "have" not "to not have."
>>
bumpu
>>
i would also like to know of what this faggot asks
>>
>>51622270
Come on man... Just... Join the botnet dude...
We're all doing it... Comeonnnnnn. You're not a pussy, are you? Just... Do it bro... Dooo itttt...
>>
>>51622270
Even if you "block" the update, Microsoft will probably just silently download and install it to your computer anyway
>>
>>51623093
Honestly I would if they didn't start showing ads in the start menu. I know you can turn them off but just fuck M$ and Win10 on principle if they're going to pull that shit.

>>51623141
I'm sure they will, which is why I would download only known safe updates (hoping they didn't sneak the telemetry into those) and then just stop updating afterwards. I'm not retarded enough to get a virus online, and I only really use windows for games anyway, everything else is on linux. If I could update win7/8.1 to be as stable as it can be now and then stop updates I'll be happy.
>>
File: How to debotnet 7.png (2 MB, 1422x1800) Image search: [Google]
How to debotnet 7.png
2 MB, 1422x1800
>>
>>51623332
Not to be an ungrateful cunt, but that only goes up to August 20th, I'm sure they've put some more botnet cream on 7 since then.
>>
>>51623332
This guide is based in an enterprise guide to make Windows 7 completely silent. Its unrelated to Windows 10 and telemetry upgrades, but relevant imo.
>>
https://github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows
https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking
https://gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9#file-remove_crw-cmd
https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/
>>
>>51623370
As I said here >>51623371
this is not related to the recent updates. Doing as the guide says will make your computer stop trying to talk to Microsoft for anything, even downloading drivers or such
>>
>>51623332
>>51623347
Hey guys. Just a reminder that all of that work is for naught because Windows is closed-source (proprietary software) with confirmed backdoors meaning that what ever you do there is nothing guaranteeing that (1) those UX settings actually do anything at all, and (2) that Microsoft can't change them to whatever the fuck they want at any time they want to.

Trying to "debotnet" Windows is akin to putting a band-aid on an open jugular vein
>>
>>51623401
Not sure why you deleted this the first time, it seemed a little more up to date than the other answers. Didn't know spybot had branched out into attempting to kill win10 spying, but I have my doubts it actually scrubs all of it basically because of what >>51623422 said.

However since I'm going to want to play these games I'm going to need windows. I only use it for those games and nothing else, so if I have to deal with the botnet I guess I will, but I still want to minimize it as much as possible.

>>51623403
>even downloading drivers or such

I want to keep windows from sending my keystrokes to Satya's presumed a clockwork orange-esque wall of monitors where he faps to everybody's data, not break windows entirely. I don't think disabling windows updates turns off driver installation, does it?
>>
>>51623480
I simply replaced the release page
>>51623347
>https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases
with the home page of that repository
>>51623401
>https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking
>>
>>51623480
No, it doesn't.

Well, I've been using Windows 7 with everything above disabled and no updates since December/2014. Everything works normally.
>>
>>51623480
just play your games on windows and when your done reboot into Linux. That's currently the best way to play manchildren video games and remain as free as possible
>>
>>51623588
Ah ok, thanks.

>>51623611
I might do that then, although I have to admit I'm kind of partial to win 8.1 over 7 actually. Once you install classic shell it's just a faster booting windows with a better task manager and imo a better ui.
>>
>>51623649
...I already said I do exactly that in the OP. That doesn't mean I'm going to allow M$ to track me any more than I have to when I'm on windows, there's no reason to give them my chat/voice logs from mumble/teamspeak when I use them. It isn't practical to reboot every time I want to do something in linux quickly if I'm already on windows either..
>>
>>51622270

qemu

iptables -A FORWARD <win8 vm interface> -J DROP
iptables -I FORWARD <gaming shit on win8 vm interface> -J ACCEPT

gpu & usb pass trough to vm

/thread
>>
>>51623422
If that was even remotely the case, anyone could notice it with a hardware firewall to log all the traffic.

Microsoft needs to give companies a way to make Windows completely silent, otherwise it isn't trustful for business. That guide was based on a book written by Microsoft about how to make W7 send no radio signal at all.

This might change with Windows 10, I didn't hear of anyone who was actively looking at the traffic (using hardware tools) and made it stop all communication with Microsoft.
>>
>>51623141
>>51623422
Yes, we all know Windows is botnet, so why not just run GNU/Linux only?
>install gentoo
Oh wait, what about these proprietary blobs on my BIOS?
>purchase lemote
Too bad my ISP still spies on me.

It's a futile chasing of our tails, but shouldn't we atleast try?
>>
>>51623714
CPU doesn't support that, and either way how would that stop microsoft from getting anything? It's still a version of windows connecting to the internet. It seems all that would do is be a pain in the ass.

>>51623716
Even if it wasn't actually sending anything, the fact that it has those "features" turned on and baked into the os makes it so I can't trust the OS.
>>
tiny dot cc /aegis-voat
>>
>>51623830

> CPU doesn't support that

I'm sorry to hear that OP. It sounds like you must accept your fate.

> how would that stop microsoft from getting anything?

This stops all traffic on a given interface, in this instance it would be a virtual switch that your Windows VM is "plugged in to" at the kernel level. This is how I run my Windows 8 virtual machine at work. It has never seen the internet and never been updated. There is one application that has to occasionally phone home and wont work without it...so I isolated the ip address it was trying to contact, and can whitelist it now as needed. The rest of the time when I run tcpdump on the vm's nic, I just see Windows trying unsuccessfully to call home to Redmond.

> It seems all that would do is be a pain in the ass.

Well if your wife was running around the neighborhood blowing a bunch of guys, I suppose it would be a pain in the ass to deal with it and try to stop it.

But sometimes you just gotta man up, and take control of your life. And who knows, you might even enjoy it.
>>
>>51624735
I play games online, so that wouldn't work well anyway, it's too much of a PITA to try and whitelist every IP steam and the game servers use. Thanks for the idea though, didn't know VMs could do that.

I'm just gonna use win7 and block the updates listed above.

And as for

>Well if your wife was running around the neighborhood blowing a bunch of guys

Then you get a fucking divorce or you're a literal kek.
Even if the bitch gets half your shit because the courts are rigged, it's better than being that huge of a beta bitch.
>>
>>51624787
>Then you get a fucking divorce or you're a literal kek.
then you're a literal kek
the equivalent of getting a divorce here is saying "Fuck your shit, Windows, I'm switching to Linux full time!". But you ain't gonna do that or stop that slut Windows from fucking around, you're just gonna tell her not to do that cause doing anything else is "too much of a PITA"
>>
>>51624816

...OR you take that bitch/asshole, lock them in the basement, and make them your fucking slave. "Scream all you want, nobody can hear you."

<shivers> Metaphorically speaking, of course!
>>
>>51624816
Because a computer isn't a woman, anon.

But for the sake of autism, going with the analogy, I'm not marrying the windows whore.

I just go to her every now and then because she gives really good head while I have a stable gnu/linux girl at home that cooks me dinner and is waifu material with the exception of giving shitty blowjobs.

The windows bitch might tell her friends how long it takes me to blow my wad but she doesn't have access to my wallet or private info and I gave her a fake name to boot, plus I can lose her number whenever I want.
>>
File: steam-os-bkgd-1200-80.jpg (105 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
steam-os-bkgd-1200-80.jpg
105 KB, 1200x675
>>
>>51625017
Congrats, you might just be retarded!
>>
Search for BlockGWX.
>>
>>51625017
Good idea, poorly executed.
>>
>>51622270
>but it's not possible to drop windows for gaymen
Yes it is. Just pick a non shit tier "hobby".
>>
>>51625720
Get rFactor 2 to run in Linux with the same wheel support and fps as windows and then we'll talk.

Saying "Linux can't do x? That doesn't matter x sucks anyways, and it's for manchildren because I don't like it" is macfag tier mental gymnastics.
>>
File: 1442365464882.gif (2 MB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1442365464882.gif
2 MB, 600x450
>>51622270
>7/8
>botnet-free
How delusional can you tech illiterate gamer kiddies get?
>>
>>51622270
Latest list

1/2

KB3102812 - Allows background downloading of W10
KB3102810
KB2999226 - More Win10 compatibility bullshit, will allow you to run Windows store / desktop apps
KB2505438
KB3046480
(KB2670838 – Windows 7 Only (corrupts AERO and blurry fonts on some websites))
KB2952664 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10 (sends a bunch of telemetry data to M$, reported to corrupt system files)
KB2976978 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10; Windows 8 only
KB2977759 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10, installs telemetry
KB2990214 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3021917 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3022345 – installs diagnostic tracking service, reported to corrupt system files
KB3035583 – pitches the free Windows 10 upgrade
KB3044374 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3050265 – supposedly fixes an issue with windows update, but also changes system files to support upgrade to Windows 10
KB3050267 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3068708 – installs telemetry service, prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB2922324 – (reportedly pulled, uninstall it anyway if already installed)
KB3014460 – affects windows 8 only
KB3015249 – adds more damn telemetry
KB3065987 – makes “improvements” to the windows update client (really just more Win10 bullshit)
KB3075249 – adds yet more telemetry, This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels.
KB3075851 – makes “improvements” to the windows update client (really just more Win10 bullshit)
>>
>>51622270
>>51626220
2/2

KB3080149 – adds yet more telemetry, The diagnostics tracking service collects diagnostics about functional issues on Windows systems that participate in the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). CEIP reports do not contain contact information, such as your name, address, or telephone number.
KB971033 - Description of the update For Windows Activation Technologies

cmd:
sc stop Diagtrack
sc delete Diagtrack

Task Scheduler Library: disable
Everything under "Application Experience"
Everything under "Autochk"
Everything under "Customer Experience Improvement Program"
Under "Disk Diagnostic" only the "Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector"
Under "Maintenance" "WinSAT"
"Media Center" and click the "status" column, then select all non-disabled entries and disable them.

services.msc:
"Remote Registry" to "Disabled" instead of "Manual".
>>
Would like to know the same. It's a bit of a faff debotnetting PCs as I go
>>
>>51626228

Mac's don't do this shit. And they just werk.

Linux doesn't do this shit. And you have complete freedom and control.

Windows does this shit. It doesn't "just werk". It's giving you less and less freedom and control.

Fuck this shit.
>>
>>51623780
>Too bad my ISP still spies on me.
At that point you know you have left your own turf, so to say. The things inside my own house should not spy on me, but I sort of expect at least someone to know what I did when I went outside.
>>
>>51626220
>>51626228
It sucks the windows update memory leak got fixed in an update that slipped in win 10 shit.
>>
>>51627073
Which update is it?
>>
>>51626228

>Task Scheduler Library: disable

NO NO FUCK YOU NO. DELETE THEM, DO NOT DISABLE THEM.

There is zero reason for any of them to exist, period, delete - not disable, fucking delete them permanently and move on.
>>
>>51628683
I will change that to the pasta, calm down.
>>
>>51628683
since media center has a lot of entries, should I delete them ALL too?
>>
>>51626085
>as possible

How illiterate can neo-/g/ get?
>>
>>51622270
Installed win7 (pro version from dreamspark) a few days ago on my new laptop and proceeded to update it.
As far as I could tell I could install every single critical update and only a couple of the recommended ones contained telemetry shit (I looked at the descriptions of all recommended updates)
>>
>>51629702
To add: I don't have any "get windows 10" shit popping up either.
>>
>>51622270
Why are you de-botnetifying if you only dual boot for games? Fess up, you can't be fucked dual booting just like the rest of us.
>>
>>51622270
See
http://superuser.com/questions/972501/how-to-stop-microsoft-from-gathering-telemetry-data-from-windows-7-8-and-8-1

All the information you need.
>>
File: 1447560593500.jpg (61 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1447560593500.jpg
61 KB, 500x375
If you care about privacy, just install GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51622270
win 7 is botnet free you neckbeard
>>
File: 1448832345387s.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1448832345387s.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>>51630105
not even XP was botnet free, idiot
>>
How to placebo Windows
>>
>>51626220
>(KB2670838 – Windows 7 Only (corrupts AERO and blurry fonts on some websites))
can you please take that out of that copypasta? because it's that one red flag to signal that you're a legit moron.
>>
There's a .bat file on the installgentoo wiki that does all of this for you. It's as easy as that.
>>
File: fuck you microshaft.png (30 KB, 480x378) Image search: [Google]
fuck you microshaft.png
30 KB, 480x378
WHAT THE FUCK WHY THIS PIECE OF SHIT KEEPS APPEARING, I UNINSTALLED EVERY SINGLE WINDOWS 10 RELATED UPDATE!
>>
>>51632348
because Microsoft re-enables hidden updates - that's what they've did to me. The only thing that stopped the botnet updates, is that I've disabled automatic installation of the updates. If it would've been enabled, Win10 would be prompting me now for the 3rd time to install.

By the way I use Xubuntu now. Much better, feels more secure, and botnet free. I don't get the feeling that I'm constantly being watched by someone on the OS level.
>>
>>51632414
Unfortunately you are. Read about the Amazon and app features.
>>
>>51622270
>Keep windows 7/8 as botnet-free as possible
Install it
never run updates
never connect it to the internet
live completely botnet free
>>
>>51628630
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3050265
>>
>>51632454
Thats on Unity(it can be disabled tho), Xfce is fine
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.