[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished installing windows 8.1. What programs are good to have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 8.1.jpg (18 KB, 590x327) Image search: [Google]
8.1.jpg
18 KB, 590x327
I just finished installing windows 8.1. What programs are good to have
>>
install gentoo
>>
windows 10
>>
>>51613730
gentoo
>>
>>51613730
classic shell
>>
>>51613730
G E N T O O

E

N

T

O

O
>>
>>51613730
you uninstall it because you love freedoms, sit down and look carefully at the 300 linux distributions, decide what community you wanna become a part of and install that distro
>>
Fuck Linux. U can't play fucking popular steam games because they don't support linux. You really have to do everything through the gay and hard to use terminal.
>>
Make sure you install CryptoLocker. Windows 8 has weak security, so you want to make sure your files are encrypted and safe.
>>
>>51614805
>fuck linux I don't know a shit about computers lalalalalallalal computer games i am off to /v/ guys but i must say......linux on steam, only 1500 games
>>
>>51613769
This. Upgrade now before doing any installation work
>>
>>51613730

1) A linux distro that works for your setup
2) Qemu-kvm for the Windows 8 guest, usb & gpu pass-through
3) Good iptables rules on the VM host to block the botnet; logging, tcpdump & iftop to help poke holes as needed on a one-off basis
4) Windows automatic updates disabled from initial installation
5) Samba on the VM host, so you can upload stuff if you must to the Windows 8 guest
6) All the usual stuff on linux host for legitimate computer use, Windows VM for those one or two "must have" applications and gaming.

You seriously aren't running the botnet on bare metal, are you?

Are you?
>>
>>51614805
>popular steam games

>actually supporting proprietary bullshit DRM like steam
>>
chrome
>>
>>51614843
>linux on steam, only 1500 shitty 2hipster4me indie titles games
fix'd
>>
>>51613730
firefox, chromium, hexchat, qbittorrent, jdownloader2, mpv, foobar2000, kid3, markdown-edit, lyx, librreoffice, visual-studio, virtualbox, codelite, atom, honeyview, inkscape, blender, krita, bandizip, nirlauncher, bleachbit, wox
>>
>>51613730
Open hardware monitor
>>
File: 1442042086283.gif (3 MB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
1442042086283.gif
3 MB, 300x252
>>51613730

same crap you always use
>>
>>51613730
gentoo
>>
norton security
>>
>>51614805
>hurr durr fuck linux cause i dont know how to use a fucking computer sudo apt-get install 2hard
>>
>>51613754
>>51613777
>>51614094
>>51615390
You really should listen to these guys OP. I'm being serious when I say this, gentoo is a wonderful distribution. It has the 2nd largest repo behind arch and is extremely customization, down to how you can compile it.
>>
>>51613730
steam, anything else -> linux
>>
>>51613730
BonziBUDDY, that's a must have.
>>
>>51613730
As a fellow Win 8.1 user I'd recommend:
CC Cleaner
Everything - the best search utility

The rest is up to you.
>>
Okay ima try gentoo but I ain't deleting windows 8.1
>>
So someone help me out. I need to install gentoo with windows 8.1 currently on the PC. should I make a separate partition for gentoo and install it on there and run it like that
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.