[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ I just got this nice digital branded CRT with 1024x768
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (1 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 640x1136
Hey /g/ I just got this nice digital branded CRT with 1024x768 resolution but some prick cut the cord and I managed to strip what was left of the cord but the color codes aren't identical to diagrams I've found searching for a solution. Can anyone explain which pins these correlate to?
>>
File: image.png (452 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
452 KB, 640x1136
>>
File: trash.jpg (105 KB, 398x503) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
105 KB, 398x503
>>51588816
>CRT
>>
I'd help if I knew. Bump
>>
I just wanted to rant about how most CRTs are fucking awful compared to average IPS LCDs (only the expensive CRTs were actually good)

but then I saw it's made by digital.

probably still shitty image quality but hoo boy, this takes me back.
>>
the bare minimum are, RGBHV (red, green, blue, horizontal sync, vertical sync)

>>51588829
the 3 larger, individually shielded wires are most certainly R,G,B, mixing them up will only result in improperly mixed colors (just guess until the colors are right)

then you just need to guess which out of the rest are H and V
>>
>>51588865
at least i dont post jpegs all day scum

>>51588898
thanks pal

>>51588901
black levels :^) and i'm using it for running NEXTSTEP and the resolution is almost on par. like hell i'd use it with a recent operating system

>>51588905
you're awesome thank you, after posting i deducted that the thick grey was green
i found that yellow and white are h/v respectively

thanks dude i'll post back with it working hopefully
>>
>>51588905
note that RGB alone won't result in a picture

H alone (well, along with at least one of R,G,B) will likely result in something resembling a picture, but will roll vertically, not sure what V alone will do, probably nothing useful
>>
>>51588946
>you're awesome thank you
np, there's no visual downside to only connecting RGBHV wires, the only other ones used by pc monitors are those used by DDC, which newer pc monitors used for EDID, which is a list of supported modelines
aka, it's how newer pc crts told the computer which resolutions and refresh rates they support

if you know what it supports then you can just make manual modelines and use it just the same, the monitor will show up as "generic non-pnp monitor" in windows
>>
File: 1444995588174.jpg (771 KB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
1444995588174.jpg
771 KB, 1944x2592
>>51588946
best of luck, anon
>>
>>51588865
You need it to play duck hunt
>>
>>51588950
Okay I verified rgb is red gray and blue
I have crocodile clips and pins connecting the video card to the CRT and got something of a picture, the screen was solid blue with whitish writing with diagonal lines running fixed across the screen. Then it started to smell really hot and so it turned off.

It was thrown away so maybe either the rain got in or maybe I shoved 5 volts onto the wrong pin?
>>
>>51589499
what was it hooked up to? a pc set to 1024x768 output? (or less)

did the picture on a display resemble what the pc was outputting?

what's this about 5v? pc crt monitors don't require any power input over the vga cable (except for optional DDC)
>>
>>51589640
also, be sure that the RGB wires are connected with the center wire only, the outer wires are for shielding/grounding
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>51589640
Well the blue was solid across the screen so maybe I hooked it to the wrong pin of the video card. I got it working with just red and green though. Now I just can't remember my login

>>51589665
Maybe I did that. The blue wire was pretty mangled from the cutters they used
>>
>>51589499
You don't want to be passing Mains voltage through crocodile clips.

Do it properly, or not at all.
>>
>>51589806
good stuff, glad you didn't burn out the monitor or graphics card (cubieboard?)
>>
>>51589829
he's hooking up a severed VGA cable, not a severed mains power cable, VGA voltages are very low
>>
>>51589851
Ah, interpreted it as OP saying the previous owner had severed the power cord.
>>
>>51589806
>Well the blue was solid across the screen so maybe I hooked it to the wrong pin of the video card.
that means you had a constant positive voltage on the blue input wire, normally the only constant voltage from a vga connector is that used for DDC, which is right next to the blue pin (+5v on pin 9, blue on pin 3)
color voltage is normally only up to 0.7v for full intensity, so i'm not surprised it was starting to smell

hopefully you didn't kill blue...
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
>>51589954
I just checked the connections and I got it working. Now I just need to get some proper cable and a connector

However there is a white line on the right side of the screen. Any ideas what this could be? There's a brown wire and a black wire left over, could these be related to the issue?
>>
>>51589838
didn't know this was a threat! blind luck i suppose. and nah, it was running gnustep, so i named the machine loosely after the nextcube.
>>
That energy star logo is giving me powerful nostalgia.
>>
>>51590507
well, you have not connected anything for ground, i'm not sure how ground would affect the picture, i have not done anything with vga while leaving out ground

play with the controls on the monitor, a monitor of its apparent age should have a set of knobs under the front or at the back for controlling H/V positions and scale
>>
>>51590535
well, provided you tried to connect to pin3 (blue), the only explanation was that you had the clip touching both pin3 (blue) and pin9 (+5v), meaning you were forcing +5v into the computers' blue output as well as the monitors' blue input, neither designed to handle that
>>
>>51588946
>the resolution is almost on par
FYI vga/crt monitors don't limit horizontal resolution whatsoever, they simply display whatever the graphics card is pushing at any instance (so you're only limited by the graphics card)
they have a horizontal scan speed limit, but this only affects how many horizontal lines can be drawn over a given frame and frame time (aka, vertical resolution and vertical refresh rate)

i personally use a plain old SDTV as a second monitor, also over VGA, and i occationally play widescreen video on it at 1024x576 (interlaced, and at 48/1.001Hz) to make the most out the resolution, i could use an even higher horizontal resolution (i set it to 2560x576 just for fun once) but since it's an SDTV the color mask isn't very fine, so 1024x576 gets me at 16:9 so i don't need to set anything in my media player to stretch the image to some non-1:1 size
>>
last week I picked up a LACIE 22inch CRT I think it can do 2048 by 1538 and its a game changer

is that good ?? how to tell if a crt monitor has good colors ??
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.