[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sbg/ - Single Board General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: jetson-tk1-hand.jpg (135 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
jetson-tk1-hand.jpg
135 KB, 1280x720
>buying a Raspberry Poor

Reminder that ARM is objectively superior to x86.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers

Previous thread: >51541887
>>
>>51582475
looks fairly powerful
>>
>>51582475
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers
No mention of CHiP? Is it not considered a single board computer?

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/11/remember-that-9-computer-for-one-day-only-itll-be-8-plus-shipping/
>>
>>51582551
NVIDIA Jetson TK1
>>
File: apu2b41.jpg (143 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
apu2b41.jpg
143 KB, 800x600
Anyone /hyped/ for the new APU's?

Heard good things from the prototype testers already.

http://pcengines.ch/apu2b4.htm
>>
>>51582475
Need one with DisplayPort.
Wat one?
>>
>>51582614
oh, another not general purpose computer, ok
>>
I'm thinking of getting a banana pro for uni work (text editing, mostly) as well as Web browsing and watching videos. does anyone have experience with ~$50 usd boards as desktop replacements?
>>
Does it run Fallout 4?
>>
https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

>Single-board computers with no flaws
>The boards in this category have all their features working with free software.
>there are none

>Single-board computers with minor flaws
>The boards in this category are usable with free software but a few non-critical features don't work without non-free software. For most uses, it is not hard to do without them.
>there are none

When will a manufacture step up that cares about freedom?
>>
>>51582750
Freedom doesn't pay the bills, kid.
You'd realize that if weren't a NEET.
>>
>>51582664
DESU for that I'd just go with a Pi 2. Plenty powerful enough and tons of support/guides. For anyone even vaguely technically-minded, it just werks.
>>
>>51582750
They care more about making a product at a viable price point than free software. Nobody has done it because it would probably be prohibitively expensive to do so. Normies can just about be persuaded to give the RPi foundation money to get kids to code, they aren't going to pay to subsidise some purists desire for a board that runs on 100% free software.
>>
I am a new fag here, I would like some pi projects suggestions, I would like to make a touch screen car cpu with fm tuner. Only thing is I have no clue where to start.
>>
>>51582901
First time I've ever seen it suggested that hardware capable of running free software is somehow more expensive.
Keep em coming /g/.
>>
ODROID are great.
>>
>>51582640
ODROID XU-3 is the only one. It's $179 and end-of-life.
If you dn't need Display Port, there's the new XU4 for $74 that's better than the XU3 all around.
>>
>>51583375
>hardware capable of running free software
Hardware capable of running without proprietary firmware, and yes, it is frequently more expensive if you want the same level of performance. Almost everything requires some amount of proprietary code, frequently in the form of binary blobs that you have no control over, just to initialize.

The stuff that's actually free as in freedom that costs the same performs far, far worse. It's why you don't see more MIPS laptops and why Longsoon is a name completely unknown outside of China and /g/.
>>
>>51582798
I have a good amount of technical knowledge, I'm looking for the best one for the price.
Also interested in banana pro for openbsd support
>>
I just want something that has GPIO, multiple SATA ports, gigabit Ethernet, enough processing power to serve a webpage and is under 100 dollars. That's literally all I want. A home server board that I can control home appliances with too, so a next-level home server. Too bad the only option is going x86 and paying at least 200 for a power-chugging ATX shitbox taking up a load of space. Or 100 bucks for some P4-era crap that also doubles as a space heater.
>>
>>51582475
Still looking for an ARM board with full and proper OpenGL 2 support, not opengl ES.

I need this to test an ancient software port to ARM, but it runs like ass in mesa software mode. I cannot get the source to modify it to work as opengl ES either.
>>
>>51582629
I have a 5350, doing pretty much what I toss at it.

As far as I understand, the Jaguar solved some Bulldozer problems by going backwards.
>>
File: stallman imitating a gnu.jpg (836 KB, 1524x2032) Image search: [Google]
stallman imitating a gnu.jpg
836 KB, 1524x2032
>>51582750
It seems it's mostly the fault of ARM and their Mali GPUs which require binary blobs.
>>
Are any of these good for running mame and putting it into an arcade cab? It looks like most of these only have HDMI out. Any good way to convert the signal to 15khz for arcade CRT monitors?
>>
>>51582629
I've use Alix boards from this manufacturer, they're great. The APU might just be perfect since it runs CoreBoot
>>
>>51582629
>4GB ECC
Whats the price point? Are there any other SBCs that have ECC?
>>
>>51589758
I have the same t-shirts not a single person in my class gets it what a bunch of illiterate nubs.. Can't wait to get into uni and hopefully have some nerds in my class.. or at least have some cool people.. This was wildly off-topic.

I have nothing to contribute with so I'll lurk some more thanks all!
>>
>>51591763
Not that I know off, def also not with this kind of FOSS-support.
>>
File: preso3.jpg (44 KB, 602x339) Image search: [Google]
preso3.jpg
44 KB, 602x339
>NVIDIA Jetson TK1

are you guys fucking retarded or what?

I paid 199$ for my Nvidia shield Tv and it has the X1 chip, which is like 7x better than the K1, and it also comes with a controller and other shit like hdmi-cec and a fully fledged operating system.

and yes, it plays my goddamn 1080p h264 hi10p cartoons at 40% cpu.
>>
>>51582475

>ARM is objectively superior to x86

Yeah, especially with all the great software available, right?
>>
>>51582750
>freedom
>Not making your pc components out of sand
Step it boys
>>
File: H170I-PLUS-D3.jpg (190 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
H170I-PLUS-D3.jpg
190 KB, 1000x1000
mini-itx thread? mini-itx thread
>>
I bought a Raspberry Pi Zero because I saw it in the shops and it came with a free magazine. I powered it on once and then ignored it. I haven't read the magazine.
>>
File: Z107I-PRO-GAMING.jpg (185 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Z107I-PRO-GAMING.jpg
185 KB, 1000x1000
>>51593147
dumping some asus boards
>>
>>51582750
BeagleBone original has no HDMI port, so I don't see why no graphics support is a "serious flaw". It's a minor flaw at worst.
>>
>>51592139
If you have a good GPU in your main computer this is the best console in the world currently.
>>
>>51593147
>>51593186
>dumping

Into the trash I hope
>>
>>51593147
>>51593186
>>>/trash/
>>
>>51582475
>Reminder that ARM is objectively superior to x86.
>Retard_alert.jpg
>>
>>51582475
Arm is not as powerful as x86.
>>
>>51582585
Is there any more information about it anywhere?
getchip doesn't tell you shit, like shipping costs, available accessories if any, etc.
>>
>>51593709
This is especially true thanks to fucking cherrytrail.

Fucking 20 dollar CPUs that obliterate anything ARM has in the same performance category.

ARM death when
>>
>>51582475
>google raspberry pi projects
>mfw 50% of raspi projects are things you'd use 8 bit 50 cent microcontrollers for

Whats wrong with these people? Using 32 bit ARM computers to make a wireless doorbell? wtf?
>>
>>51594185
>>Whats wrong with these people?
a disposable income :^)
>>
>>51582475

>Reminder that ARM is objectively superior to x86.

If it is so good, why doesn't anything use ARM? The world's greatest supercomputers don't. Normal computers don't. And most importantly, Intel doesn't make ARM CPU's. If the world leader and only innovator in computing doesn't see ARM as relevant, you shouldn't either.
>>
>>51594858
>Why doesnt anything use arm?

Gee, it's not like 99% percent of smartphones use arm
>>
>>51594858
mainstream computers will soon have ARM with Zen
And there already is many supercomputer that use ARM
>>
>>51596287
Zen is x86
>>
>>51594247
All the money in the world won't get you significantly better batteries. 8 bit MCUs have microamp sleep modes (Arduino wastes a lot of power with its linear regulator, but even so it beats Raspberry Pi).
>>
Are there any ARM or MIPS boards with 2+ GbE ports (maybe 10GbE and SFP), that can be used for bare-metal development?
I can only find some super expensive development boards from the manufacturers.
>>
>>51593943
ARM has better power/performance than Intel's memetrail, and it's only going to get better over time. Plus ARM SoCs are way cheaper.
>>
>>51583375
have you ever even priced out a lemote system?

if you can even find them they're hilariously overpriced for the performance they offer, and you'd get more security running an older high-end system with no backdoors anyway
>>
>>51596287
>And there already is many supercomputer that use ARM
shitty rpi clusters aren't supercomputers

I don't think any manufacturers will have a desktop/server ARM chip out for several years to come, even then they'll probably be absolute failures except in tasks that can take advantage of the fuckton of cores they'll fit in them
>>
>>51598208
Yeah anyone can cherrypick
>>
File: X99E-ITXac(L3).jpg (473 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
X99E-ITXac(L3).jpg
473 KB, 1000x1200
>>51593147
>best mobo
>asrock > asus
>>
File: amd-seattle-1.jpg (94 KB, 670x369) Image search: [Google]
amd-seattle-1.jpg
94 KB, 670x369
>>51598261
Kek
>>
Are there any cheap alternatives to Novena?
>>
File: qorboots.jpg (69 KB, 489x600) Image search: [Google]
qorboots.jpg
69 KB, 489x600
>>51591657
>Alix
>coreboot
Holy shit, I need this for my build inside a gutted Macintosh SE case. It currently has first-gen Model B Pi shit in it, can't even run Basilisk II at full speed.
>>
Anybody got the Videocore4 OpenGL driver build from here:
http://sukzessiv.net/~gohai/vc4-buildbot/build/
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/VC4/
working? It does not boot on my raspberry model B (512MB RAM)
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.