[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/vt/- vim thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: vim_drill_small.jpg (80 KB, 518x376) Image search: [Google]
vim_drill_small.jpg
80 KB, 518x376
What is your favorite editor and why is it vim?
>>
>why is it vim
Because it's the most efficient editor once you master it.
>>
>>51579467
Have you ever tried emacs? Are there any advantages over vim?
>>
>>51579513
Yes. I think vim is better for actual text editing, while emacs is better for automation and editor extension (with Lisp), plus emacs is more complete and IDE-like by default (it includes a debugger, a better file manager, even a Lynx-like web browser etc). With vim you can do almost all your editing without moving your hands from the main key rows while emacs focuses more in multi-key combinations like Alt or Ctrl + whatever. I'm more comfortable with the vim approach.
>>
Eclipse
>>
>>51579513
My favorite editor is Emacs but I must admit that there are several advantages to Emacs, most of which come from the fact that Emacs is multithreaded. I think NeoVim is going to solve that and I can't wait until a stable version hits debian's repos. I'm going to use the shit out of that vim shell.

Also, which addons does /g/ use? The ones I use are :
AutoComplPop - Automatically show the autocompletion menu when your current word can be completed
ctrlp.vim - Fuzzy file finder. I don't use it much.
gitignore - Parses gitignore files and ignore it when providing completion options.
Recover.vim - Adds a "diff" option when you want to edit a file the swp of which exists.
ShowTrailingWhitespace - Shows trailing whitespace with a user-defined color
syntastic - Syntax checker for a lot of languages
undotree - A better gundo (shows the history tree)
vim-closer - Automatically closes braces/parentheses
vim-commentary - Comment code with visual-gc or gcc
vim-easy-align - Automatically align code based on characters contained. I didn't think I'd use it much but it's actually really useful
vim-gitgutter - Show git status (modified, added...) of lines when the file is in a git repo
vim-javascript-syntax - A javascript syntax file for syntax coloration.
vim-sleuth - Automatically set indent variables based on the project you're in. Great because you don't have to modify your vimrc every time you want to contribute to a project.
vim-startify - A pretty efficient start screen.
>>
>>51579889
>eclipse
>doesn't support JSF and xhtml without shitty extensions
Netbeans does that out of the box.
>>
i use acme 2bh
>>
spacemacs master race
>>
Visual Studio
>>
>>51580164
Eclipse is used by notch so get out of here with your memes
>>
$ grep 'vim' ~/.bashrc
alias vim='emacs -nw'
>>
>>51580126
>most of which come from the fact that Emacs is multithreaded
I don't believe Emacs is multithreaded, just asynchronus.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.