[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old school and new shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: Photo on 11-27-15 at 9.00 PM #2.jpg (192 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 11-27-15 at 9.00 PM #2.jpg
192 KB, 1080x720
How does one hook up a classic atari to a modern TV? I'm at a family function and they want me to hook up my grandpas atari to a tv, and I can't go back to my place to get my tv.
>>
>>51566634
With difficulty.

>Plug Aerial cable in nigga

If only it were that simple. Else I'd be playing on my Sega right now.
>>
Found an adapter. Most of these were packaged when grandpa died 7 years ago and haven't been opened until recently
>>
File: Photo on 11-27-15 at 9.06 PM.jpg (216 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 11-27-15 at 9.06 PM.jpg
216 KB, 1080x720
Forgot adapter pic. I have a coaxial cable and this adapter here, but a lot of the very technical forums are extremely confusing so my research is getting nowhere.
>>
>>51566634
I've always used an RCA to F type adapter for my Atari and plugged it in that way.
>>
>>51566680
Looks like its an adapter for an old stereo receiver....might be wrong though
>>
>>51566806
>>51566680
That's a F type to 2-wire connector for the older televisions before F type connectors were standard.
>>
>>51566692
does anyone have a link to an adequate adapter I can order, and/or are these available at certain retailers (like radioshack or something). Also, thanks for the help, this atari really means a lot to my family.
>>
File: Photo on 11-27-15 at 9.24 PM.jpg (173 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 11-27-15 at 9.24 PM.jpg
173 KB, 1080x720
Another question, do I just hook it into the cable in part right here? I know its a little complicated because TVs work completely differently now, but I'm still a little confused.
>>
>>51566851
http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=6332
>>51566895
Use the above to plug it right in to the coaxial input and set to analog channel 3.
>>
>>51566931 here again, my bad that one linked is out of stock.
http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=5476
>>
>>51566931
How do you set an LG tv to analog, or is that just normal cable channel 3?

Thanks for the help again, I don't know enough about this as I should.
>>
>>51567019
Normal cable channel 3 serves the same purpose. You can always manually add the listing following your owner's manual.
>>
>>51567073
Ok cool. My last question is whether AV adapters are any effective?
>>
>>51567386
Short of an old VCR just laying-around the only way is to do an A/V mod to your Atari. This requires certain parts, soldering skills, and patience.
>>
>>51566895
Your photo is very blurry but the photo in the OP is also you all you need to do is connect the coaxial cable from your Computer/tv box to the antenna input on the television. Then tune to channel 3 or 4 and turn on the Atari. Make sure the computer/tv switch is set to computer.

You are better off buying a small, old CRT television with the correct inputs than buying an adapter. Atari games will look extremely shitty on a modern TV.
>>
>>51567520
>>51567454
Alright, thats all I needed to know. Thanks for your help, I'm going to go hunting for some stuff tomorrow. If this thread is still alive then I'll update.

You guys have a been a huge help, thank you so much. It means a lot.
>>
>>51566634
I use an RCA Female to F type Male adaptor for my Atari and Odyssey. Atari 2600 has an internal RF Modulator, and the box is pretty much useless nowadays. That being said, American systems usually transmit at Ch 3-4 (on an American TV set anyways), whereas Jap/Korean systems can end up at much higher numbers (80+), guessing due to the frequency offset. Once you get the adapter, you can directly hook up the Atari to your TV and tell that box to go fuck itself.
>>
Coaxl is your friend nig
>>
File: 20151128_000210.png (1 MB, 1494x2656) Image search: [Google]
20151128_000210.png
1 MB, 1494x2656
>>51567454
Adding to this, you might need to make a simple unity gain amplifier for Atari's video output to drive the A/V input of the TV. At least a blocking capacitor to prevent transient noise. Unless the RF Modulator is damaged, display should be decent from the coax output.
> Pic of the adapter and coax jack on TV
>>
>>51566634
Just use an emulator on your phone and hook that up via HDMI or those newfangled wireless display sharing modes.
>>
File: uhf_adapter.jpg (8 KB, 150x173) Image search: [Google]
uhf_adapter.jpg
8 KB, 150x173
You need this. The atari adapter is damaged but you might be able to split the TV side up the middle to splice the cable. The end on the Atari adapter is supposed to look like the UHF adapter you have. That connects to the adapter in the picture.
>>
File: vidadapt1.jpg (16 KB, 336x184) Image search: [Google]
vidadapt1.jpg
16 KB, 336x184
Properly hooked up with no damage to the Atari Adapter.
>>
>>51566680
>>51566806
That adapter is to convert coax to UHF/VHF. I used it for when I lived in an older house that still had the giant UHF antenna in the attic, and of course I don't purchase cable so I converted the wall plate that had those two prongs on it to coax and attached a modern TV that has the built-in digital tuner to use as its antenna. Worked great.

Not sure about atari though, unfortunately I never owned one so I couldn't say I have tried that kind of adapter. Worth a try though.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.