[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is to blame for the fact that we still use these slow, easily
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: hdd_icon_by_itob-d33lzcu.png (466 KB, 900x765) Image search: [Google]
hdd_icon_by_itob-d33lzcu.png
466 KB, 900x765
Who is to blame for the fact that we still use these slow, easily breakable, pieces of crap for our storage?
>>
People like the autist on this board, that say it's placebo tech, but they have never experienced the pure speed and silence of a SSD. O'well, those people can enjoy those noisy moving parts, and those slow load times on everything.
>>
>easily breakable
>>
File: youre-a-faget-nico.jpg (127 KB, 560x480) Image search: [Google]
youre-a-faget-nico.jpg
127 KB, 560x480
>>51557007
Lower the prices, fagget. I'm using SSD for main OS partition but, for archiving HDD is still the best choice, unless you're a kuk and wanna pay over 600$ for a 2TB SSD, when you can easily get the same storage capacity for 60$ tbqh.
>>
>>51557007
The market, baby! I'm still hesitant to get greater than symbol 2TB HDD because of reliability issues. When 2TB SSDs become less than symbol $100 dollars, my body will move towards the door.
>>
>>51557007
Call me when a 1TB SSD is as affordable as a 1TB HDD.
>>
speak for yourself, faggot. now that these things are literally half the price they were a year ago, you're all out of excuses.
>>
For media and backups, HDDs are still by far the cheapest and easiest method.

I just bought a 4TB 7200RPM 128MB cache HDD for $110.
A little over $0.02 per GB.
>>
I have had my 5 year old Western Digital Elements fall down 8-9 stone stairs, dropped on floor from couple of meters and everything else and that monstrous piece of shit still works and according to HDD Guardian and PassMark's Diskcheckup is completely healthy.

Gonna get 2x6TB Western Digital HDDs for general storage/archive purposes.
>>
HDD last way longer than SSD, are more reliable, and are far more cheaper.
>>
I've had more memory failures than hdd failures so far. Hdds are slow but I don't care about starting time of programs or booting time of my os.
>>
>>51557296
>Gonna get 2x6TB Western Digital HDDs for general storage/archive purposes.
Get Reds if you can.
>>
>>51557569
I was considering BLACKED desu.

reds are bit cheaper arent they?
>>
Honestly, if you have too much money and don't give fuck about 70$, buy an SSD for your operating system and favourite programs. Otherwise stay the fuck away from this waste of money. Honestly with a decent PC, the boot time shortens by a few seconds only and programs start slightly faster...
>>
>>51557007
SSD prices
>>
>>51557597
Blacks are for performance, Reds are for servers and long term 24/7 operation.
>>
>>51557620
>few seconds

My boot time went from a little over minute to under 10 seconds. It means restarting my PC isn't a hassle. Programs start instantly. They used to take about 10 seconds for larger things like games, even chrome took about 10-15 seconds. Everything is snappy. I timed everything to be sure it wasn't just placebo. I'll gladly throw my money at a 500GB+ SSD for $80-$130 in the next year or so.
>>
>>51557287
damn that's a good price anon, cheapest 4TB is $145 in my country
>>
>>51557660
Two WD Red 6TBs cost 600 European FunnyEconomyPengarna here.

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/6000GB-WD-Red-Pro-WD6001FFWX-128MB-3-5Zoll--8-9cm--SATA-6Gb-s_1011646.html

That's gonna hurt a bit.
>>
>>51557620
Yeah, probaly if you had a 5000rpm HDD and a shit computer. I timed mine and honestly Id be surprised if anybody could tell the difference without a watch
>>
>>51557762
The Red Pros are a step above the normal Reds, they have an extended warranty and they have hardware vibration control.

They would be overkill for most home use, normal WD reds should be cheaper.
>>
>>51557803
It's 80euros cheaper to get 2x retail/Regular Reds at 60TB.

So 520euros give or take.
>>
I have a 250gb ssd but I'm afraid to use it too much because my brothers one became unreliable after some time. Until they fix ssd they will stay a meme for 8 sec boot time.
>>
>>51557835
well you are paying a premium because Europe, and also because higher density HDDs.

~0.04 euro per GB isn't too bad. You can find cheaper if you want unreliable HDDs.
>>
>>51557903
I can probably get it at 490 euros which will be a damn price for 12TB of reliable storage space!
>>
>>51557913
even 5 years ago that sentence would blow my fucking mind.
>>
>>51557952
Hah

I remember paying quite a bit for LG external 256GB HDD, like 100~.
>>
So reds would be best for a backup?
>>
>>51558224
yez
>>
>>51557007
SDD have what's known as built in obsolescence unlike an HDD. Your SDD WILL DIE after a certain period so say goodbye to all your data. With an HDD you can get a well made model that will works decades.
>>
>>51558311
>With an HDD you can get a well made model that will works decades.
Good luck with using your HDD a 2 decades after buying it
>>
>>51558360
STOP BUYING SHIT BRANDS
>>
>>51558434
Yes, a better brand would surely help with using a P-ATA drive on a modern system.
>>
>>51557258
Geting close.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-2-5-Inch-Height-SDSSDHII-480G-G25/dp/B00M8ABFX6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1448648319&sr=8-6&keywords=960gb+ssd

I know it's only 480GB, but that way cheaper then they were last year

Give it a year or two and they'll be cheap
>>
>>51557266
Seriously, my 250GB SSD cost me around $250 in 2013. Now I specced a new PC, its like $75
>>
>>51557728
>Tfw 4 TB HDDs are rare as fuck in my country and after the import tax and various other taxes its more than 200$

Fuck this shit
>>
>>51558456
lel
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.