[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Compress PDF from 14ish MB to 2MB
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: pdf.jpg (51 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
pdf.jpg
51 KB, 900x900
>Have to scan my homework and mail it
>It's like 20ish pages
>Every scanned page size ranges from 746KB to 1.5MB (JPEG in case it matters)
>I put them together in LibreOffice using "Insert Image"
>I export to PDF using the built in option
>LibreOffice is like 34MB
>PDF is like 14MB
>Maximum upload size is 2MB
>Try compressing them with 7-Zip
>Of course it's only like a couple MBs less

What am I supposed to do in a situation like this? Is there a way to reduce the PDFs' size? I don't care if the images lose quality or something, as long as you can still read it it's fine. Do I have to load every single image on GIMP and then export it as a BMP of the lowest quality, and then insert all the images one by one in a document again? Please tell me there's something I can do to the PDFs so that I don't have to start all over again, they're like 150 pages total.
>>
The simplest option probably would have been to reduce the scan resolution to begin with.
>>
Scan them in lower quality dumbass.
>>
fucking compress your images more you moron. I'm pretty sure LibreOffice has an option for this when you generate the PDF.
>>
>>51548599
>>51548638

I had no idea there's an option for that, it will be handy the next time for sure. Is there anything I can do to save work? Like downgrading the image quality inside the PDF, or at least a way to downgrade them all at once (I still have a folder with the images) so I don't have to edit all the 150ish one by one. Please help me...
>>
Scan images straight to pdf instead of jpeg and then merge all pdfs you got
>>
>>51548563
Mail it in parts.
>>
>>51548676
Are you into Photoshop?

Create a macro for image resize and/or change its quality.
>>
>>51548563
Can't you just upload it to the botnet cloud and give them a link?
>>
>>51548676
Idk if it will ruin the quality, but you could try Picturegirdle. Google for it to find a download link. Maybe you can play with the settings and keep everything looking good. AFAIK you can just select the folder with the images and it will take every image in the folder and resize it.
>>
>>51548690

I just realized my scanner can do that, I'll do that next time. Right now I can't afford to spend 3 hours scanning them again.

>>51548729

They make me upload it to my university website, maximum 1 file and 2MB. I think it used to be like 25MB last semester.

>>51548746

I know nothing about Photoshop or image manipulation for that matter. What I'd know how to do is:

>Open image with GIMP
>"Export as..."
>BMP, set quality bar to like 20% or something

The problem is that I can't really afford to spend hours doing that.
>>
Monochrome, turn up the contrast and scan at a lower resolution.
>>
>>51548809
Do you still have the original image file or did you scan directly to pdf?
>>
>>51548809
you can do batch image processing with honeyview, irfanviewer, or other freeware image viewers. you just tweak settings to get one image looking decent while being small in bytes, then use those settings for all files in a folder (you can have them all edited the same way automatically).

also, ask your prof how you were supposed to get around that stupid limit. i'm sure all the other students are just as fucked, so there should be something the prof allows
>>
I think I know what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna use something called PDFZilla to extract my PDFS as BMPs (as far as I understand it this should decrease quality and reduce space?, then I'm gonna use the same thing to make the PDFs again from the BMPs. Does this sound like it might work?

>>51548854

I have the original images. Also the LibreOffice documents I used to export to PDF.
>>
>>51548806
this
>>
>>51548885
>I have the original images.
Why don't you just scale them down?
>>
>>51548563
>scan my homework
i dont understand this logic

>professor use PC to create document
>prints document to paper and hands it to you
>you write on it trying to ensure good handwriting so the professor can read it
>take a picture of it
>put it back into a document
>send it back to teacher

why didnt she just give you a digital document from the get go
>>
>>51548940

>Why don't you just scale them down?

Because I'd still have to merge them into documents again, and they're a lot of images and a lot of documents; it took me 2 hours the first time. If PDFZilla turns out to be malware or something, I'm gonna try the options listed by the Anons above to downscale them in batches, that sure saves me like an hour of work.

>>51548949

I study online because of reasons. Never even seen the professor because he has a dog as his profile pic.
>>
>>51549054
>I study online
then why are you using hardcopy documents

holy fuck
>>
>>51549087

It's math stuff. I have to solve it and it ends up being 100s of notebook pages, then I have to scan them, and you know the rest.
>>
>>51549122
you cant do it in latex?
regardless, post a sample sheet so i know what i am working with
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-26_22-42-58.png (50 KB, 828x484) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-26_22-42-58.png
50 KB, 828x484
>>51548563

OP are you blind? You can compress the hell out of the images when you export to PDF.
>>
>>51549122
so why don't you just use latex or some other program that has formula support, so you can do it all digitally?
>>
>>51548563
>BMP
Export them as low quality jpg if you want the least space used.
>>
File: randomhomeworkpage.jpg (1 MB, 1608x2104) Image search: [Google]
randomhomeworkpage.jpg
1 MB, 1608x2104
>>51549168

>sample sheet

You mean like pic related?

>>51549183
>>51549168

>latex

I had no idea that existed. I'm gonna use it next semester if I don't fail.

>>51549173

Where did you find that? I just click on the PDF icon in the quick access bar, Is there a more customizable way to do it?
>>
File: 1329247155639.gif (1 MB, 168x120) Image search: [Google]
1329247155639.gif
1 MB, 168x120
>>51549336
> File > Export as PDF...
>>
Okay PDFZilla tried to ruse me into installing I don't know what. Then it turned out that it actually made my PDFs twice as big, and on top on that they have a watermark now. I'm gonna keep trying more shady software before I resort to downscaling them in batches.
>>
>>51549401
op dont worry i got you. just gimme a little bit
>>
>>51549380

OMG I think you probably just saved my ass, because I still have the LibreOffice documents. Provided that this doesn't make them look extremely terrible, this may be the solution to my problems. Thanks Anon.
>>
File: modified_sample.jpg (96 KB, 1608x2104) Image search: [Google]
modified_sample.jpg
96 KB, 1608x2104
>>51549427
gimp exports this page as a 47 kb pdf

>get gimp
>get bimp
>batch threshold 220-255
>export pdf
>link pdf together using dysprosium

it's what i do when i need to compile digitzed pdfs
>>
>>51549480

I'm trying right now.
>>
>mail it

Worrying about file sizes
>>
Transcribe it to text using an OCR and/or your own labor.
>>
>>51549480

Okay I have the images as input files on BIMP, what exactly is the batch threshold thing 220-255? Manipulation set > Add > Other GIMP procedure?
>>
Just use latex. Don't be a barbarian
>>
>>51549604
>>51549480

Nevermind, I found it. Thanks a lot.

>>51549626

I didn't even know it existed.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.