[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
THE FINAL COUNTDOWN: RATE MY BUILD THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10
File: THE FINAL COUNTDOWN.jpg (114 KB, 938x524) Image search: [Google]
THE FINAL COUNTDOWN.jpg
114 KB, 938x524
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/LQVwdC

Black Friday is almost upon us its time to drop em if you got em.

Also should I go with this:
http://www.amazon.ca/DBPOWER-Universal-Storage-Spring-Mounting/dp/B00LFH4I6E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448416085&sr=1-1&keywords=Drive+Bay+Drawer

or this:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-bw-16d1ht-extreme-16bx-blu-ray-fe-87103-1049.htm

Honestly last time I bought one it was only used to install windows 7 and that's it.
>>
>spending more than $3,000 on a computer
You better re-assess your life choices.
Especially two >$1,000 980 Ti cards and ~$600 1,600W power supply
>>
File: 1425403134722.jpg (111 KB, 1058x705) Image search: [Google]
1425403134722.jpg
111 KB, 1058x705
>>51542699
It really depends if you consider your life choices and how important your computer is in your life. I thought about it and realized I spend more time with my computer then friends, family and co-workers. What the hell it could only get worse from here might as well do it with something that you know you love.
>>
>>51542327
>http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/LQVwdC
Jesus christ OP, don't you have a tech-literate friend you can run this by?

This wasn't worth killing a thread.
>>
>>51542998
Spent 2 weeks doing the research already. It has what I want. It should all fit in the case. Most of the items were picked based based reliability. Well most of them have 5 yr warranties. Manufactures don't give those if they don't expect it to at least last that long.
>>
pls r8 m8
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jYmrNG

I have an i5 2500k from 2011 that I plan to use as the CPU,the high wattage on the PSU is for possibility of crossfire in the future.
Any recommendation?
>>
>>51543864
>i5 2500k
>LGA1155

MSI Z97 LGA1150
>LGA1150

I'm sorry anon but your CPU is late to the party.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PyRvXL

Already have an i7 4790k that I got for super cheap, I won't be over clocking it for a while. This is going to be for a 1080p gaming build.

Anything wrong or anything I could have done better? I'm trying to keep costs down as much as I can.
>>
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ccBjdC
Rate
>>
>>51544020
Is it worth getting an LGA1155 motherboard or should I just replace the CPU as well
>>
jesus christ OP you are retarded
>>
>>51544221
You need a new cpu anon. I honestly don't think there is a LGA1155 mobo that supports PCIe 3.0 which your graphics card uses. You'll bottleneck your GPU.
>>
>>51544265
I know.
>>
>>51544312
I'll go with this then, what do you think of the rest of my build friend
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RkGqjX
>>
If you get 2 high end GPUs you should get Fury or Fury X on Crossfire they absolutely murder 980Ti or Titan X in 1440p and 4k
>>
>>51544414
Your setup is good to go but remember that your cpu only has x16 pcie 3.0. Also your mobo only supports 1 PCIe 3.0 16x slot at a time the rest in PCIe 2.0. I suppose you could Crossfire an older card. But I'm not exact on the details of Crossfire. You'll be limited for future expansion options as I don't think you'll be able to get the most BANG for your buck. Probably an improvement but that second card will be bottle necked by that interface.

Its why I went all out for my build at the top. The 5930k supports 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes. The mobo splits it into 16x/16x/8x. 1 for each card to run without bottlenecks and the 8x for the SSD(though the intel 750 only uses 4).

>>51544438
Sorry bud I'm batting for camp green. But thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>>51544682
>Camp green.
Do you mean some power efficiency thing? Have you read up on Tom's Hardware tests on AMD GPUs? THey don't hog 800 watts like it is meme'd here.

They are cheaper and perform better in 1440p and 2160p and use as much power as Titan Xs or 980Tis, why not get them?
>>
>>51544751
No. I'm batting for Nvidia. The thing is I noticed that G-sync runs slightly higher refresh rates and that Nvidia always has drivers for every new game release. I've never gone for the red team but I heard that ATI/AMD have poor driver support.

One of the reasons I went for an ASUS mobo is because I heard they release BIOS updates more often over say EVGA mobos.

The problem with PC building is that you need to have one technology support the other while keeping in mind your original purpose for your build. I want a high performance, RELIABLE (i.e. not prone to hardware failures) rig that can output 200+fps.
So I look at the GPUs, the interfaces needed to support them, the motherboards that offer them, the CPUs that can drive them... and so on. Also how I use my computer everyday as well. I needed more screen real estate.

So I'm going for the Acer Z35 ultrawide 1080p curved monitor. I know in partpicker I choose the X34 (it doesn't have the Z35) but my original intention is to have high frame rates, not high res. The z35 has 144hz (200hz oc'd) rates therefore it meets my needs. Additionally dual gtx980ti even when oc'd cannot output 100+fps at 1440p around only 80 even when oc'd. Therefore I concluded 100+fps 1440p is currently out of MY reach. Also no ultrawide 1440p monitor even supports 100+hz yet and only when they are oc'd do they hit 100hz.

So in keeping with high frame rates and my need for my screen real estate I'm sticking with dual 980ti's which should output 200+fps at 1080p ultra wide. This is why its pc building is finicky. You don't want any of the hardware to go to waste. Hence my ballooning PC expenses.
>>
Please rate my build. I'm a bit scared about spending this much at once. The only piece I really need to think about is my ethernet cable. Would any do, or should I look out for any specific brand?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6hqYsY
>>
>>51547037
>Fractal R4
R5 is out already mate.

>550w PS
Mate that'll leave you wanting if you plan on expanding... or even if you want to up the clock a bit on your CPU, GPU. Also beware that hard drives draw power as well.

>DVD drive
You probably have some kind of use for this but in this day age are you really gonna NEED it? You could get a blu-ray drive for another $60.

>Wi-fi USB
Mate having owned a wi-fi USB just get a dam pci card. It'll run cooler and me all around more reliable then running a dam USB. Your are planning on gaming right?
>>
>>51545112
Why buy HDD's then? Just go all SSD or NVME drives. Also, I would replace the Nepton cooler with the swiftech or EK AIO. Also, why all the Noctua fans? They're meme tier fans with decent air flow but still a meme.
>>
>>51547313
I do have a 400gb NVMe drive, Intel 750 PCIe 3.0 x4. I need the other 2, 6tb Red Pros because I'm going to mirror them in raid 1 because I fear data lose more than I fear death. I might use them for seeding as well. I also plan two expand to another 2 pairs in the future. As well as an SSD that can bottleneck a PCIe 3.0 x8 lane slot. Currently only enterprise SSD drives can do that and are $14K+.

The 1600w supply is because of the GPU, CPU OC's and the planned 8 mechanical hard drives I'll run in the future. Not to mention the only time my PC is off is when I'm at work. 40hrs + >5hrs commute a week works out to about 70% on time out of a year.

Those are IPPC fans they're different from Noctua's normal fans. Comparing specs only delta's have higher static pressure and air flow. Also I don't know how many fans have Ingress Protection 52. These fans are design for industrial use, probably servers and such - MTBF >150,000hrs (5yr Warranty). They do have IP67 fans that are water-proof and dust-proof but run at 2000rpm or run at 24v.

Nepton is fully maintenance free. I looked at the EK AIO, don't think it'll fit (its a lot wider with the pump installed in the side of the radiator) and I don't need the expand-ability because I'm getting EVGA hybrids that have 120mm rads. Swiftech was interesting but I'm not ready to go all out on water-cooling. The rad does need maintenance after a year or so I believe and you have to fill the reservoir. The Nepton seem like the next best thing over the others. I don't believe in pumps that require software support.
>>
>>51547282
What's the difference from R4 to R5?And no expansion really unless I end up upgrading to a much larger HDD, but that isn't likely. And oops forgot to remove that, now I'm just looking for a good, reliable CAT 6 Shielded Ethernet cable that's at least 30 feet or so.
>>
>>51547693
R5 is an improvement over R4, there's nothing wrong with the R4 but there is also a lot more room to work with the R5. There's a little more room for cabling behind the motherboard, better support for water cooling, better support for larger graphics cards, the door can be switched from left to right, better dust filters and I hear its a little quieter too. Its not that wide a cost from the r5... $20 or so why not?
>>
>>51542327
>Canada
Fuck you
>>
>>51547854
If I was American those prices would be a lot cheaper cause the Canadian dollar has tanked. Also:

>Where ever you are
I still love you anon.
>>
>>51547899
Same
BTW live in the greatest continent in the world, 'murica. Donald Trump will dominate here and then become ruler of the world.

Just wait till 'murica strikes back,
Against Canada,
>>
File: img_2901.jpg (52 KB, 700x606) Image search: [Google]
img_2901.jpg
52 KB, 700x606
>>51547609
Well it seems like you're one of the few anons who actually comes here with their mind already centered on what they want. Good job. So many faggots come here hoping people decide what they should buy like a bunch of pussies.

The noctua fans aren't bad, just overpriced due to the shilling they get from the goys. The expandable AIO's don't really need maintenance unless you modify or mess around with them. They offer better quality components and you can switch parts to watercool your ram, motherboard or if you just want to rice your shit up. All the CLC AIO's are basically the same, so if Cooler Master offers a better warranty, then maybe they are superior. The EVGA hybrid cards are top tier, but I would wait for the gigabyte hybrid. It has a custom PCB, which should allow for higher OC's. I personally pulled the triggered on the EVGA cards a month ago when I got one for 650USD on sale.
>>
>>51549624
>Oh shit no vram fan
That really appeals to me it real does. By the looks of it the GPU also controls the rad fans too.

Shit, shit, shit. I have a gigabyte mobo and its served me well. EVGA on the other hand replaced a card that I accidentally fucked up and I told them I did while also only applying for the warranty half way to its end. I was told that if you go nvidia you should go EVGA. One of the main reasons being back in 2010 they had legendary warranty coverage. It was a 560ti, they gave me a 570.

Gigabyte on the other hand... I don't know and no experience... shit. Would you give gigabyte a seal of a approval?
>>
>>5154237
USB Bluray reader on desk for maximum low effort disk input + the tray.
>>
>>51544312
pci 3.0 vs 2.0 is only a 1-2 fps difference at worst...
>>
>>51550041
No experience with Gigabyte anon, sorry. Although I have never heard bad stories about them, I would go to a guts thread and ask them. EVGA is the only reason I didn't get a Fury X that day. Years ago I bought a 650 from them and they forgot to put the out of stock block on their store, so the order went through. Gave me a free upgrade to a 650 ti BOOST and gave me an extended warranty for the inconvenience. EVGA is based. The Gigabyte design is way sexier though. The no VRAM fan design is arguably the best design I've seen.
>>
File: LL.png (47 KB, 500x256) Image search: [Google]
LL.png
47 KB, 500x256
>>51550100
PCIe 3.0 has double the bandwidth that PCIe 2.0 does. While its true that GPUs hardly ever produce enough data to fully saturate a 16x port I think effectively having bandwidth would effect more than 1 - 2 fps.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (72 KB, 747x523) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
72 KB, 747x523
how does this look? also is there a better psu I should be looking at? monitor recommendations?
>>
>>51550153
Goddammit stop boosting EVGA. I need to buy soon Black Friday is here. Brand loyalty is such a bitch. But that gigabyte design is so hawt. One of my design consideration is positive case pressure. Which would be much easier if the gpu fan wasn't blowing hot air... if EVGA pushed out an AIO fully watercooled gtx 980ti in the next 3 months I could use their step up program but god dam I wanna game now!
>>
>>51550255
EVGA isn't going to do that. No need for something like that at this point. If looks matter this much, go gigabyte. The EVGA hybrid will be cheaper though, so take that into consideration. I don't believe the Gigabyte waterforce is even out yet, and if it is, it's probably already sold out. Sorry to have given you false aspirations of owning such a beautiful card by Friday, anon.
>>
>>51550206
I would pick the K variant, select a rebranded Super Flower PSU, and go for cheaper non Gartner DDR4. The motherboard choice is top tier.
>>
>>51550375
My concern with the K variant is knowing which cooling to install rather than just plopping in the stock. I have very little experience with any of this. Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
File: Capture.png (114 KB, 1124x859) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
114 KB, 1124x859
r8 pls, took this over a skylake build
>>
>>51550390

Go for the meme 212 EVO. I have it and it works great for mild to medium overclocks.
>>
>>51550434
Look pretty good. Like the dark theme you're going for.
>>
>>51550206
PSU should be considered based on what you plan to do with your computer. You want to buy it based on where you want to take that mobo in the future and by how you use it. Essentially what are you gonna add in the future and how long you use your computer throughout the day. Remember power supplies lose there efficiency throughout their lifetime.

In regards to monitors ask yourself what the capabilities of your GPU are and what fps you expect to get. You will benefit from 144hz and in your case freesync but will that single GPU consistently drive 144fps output? Also how do use your computer? Do you have a million windows open and are constant need of flipping through them? 21:9 might help you if you can't afford multi monitor or power one with a single GPU.

If budget is concern be prepared for compromises but keep in mind the cost of upgrading that PSU in the long run if you want to go places. Always keep in mind how your gonna use your PC.

Remember /g/ can recommend you shit all day but only you can be satisfied by your own choices just make sure you get the most bang for your buck in the very least.
>>
>>51550410
What GPU are you gonna put in that? X99 don't come with on board you know.
>>
>>51550445
>>51550410
Meant to reply to this.
>>
>>51550470
Take a closer look at the list.
>>
>>51550446
Thank you for the detailed response. My main aim in this build is to buy components that will be compatible with future upgrades. I won't be doing much gaming on it, rather lots of programming and running various data analytics software. I'm not concerned at all about maintaining a certain fps or anything like that for gaming, but I have heard that the gpu is more important than the cpu for better parallel processing of pictures and graphical data, which I do some of and will be doing more of for my studies.

I don't exactly understand how all of the specifications of components relate to what I'm looking for but have rather looked around for positive comments on components and their relevance in future technology advancements.
>>
>>51550487
Doh, well looks good at least but before you settle on ram take a look at this list ova here compare memory speed to cas latency. Memory Speed is the speed it takes to complete an operation and cas is the time it take the memory to respond to an operation from the CPU.

The points in the middle represent how responsive in nanoseconds(I think) you should expect your ram to perform. I found it useful in my build.

>CAS Latency vs Memory Speed
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ePJLHhrAUMZFBnc05TLUZMYzg/view?pli=1
>>
Might as well post my build too.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rMb2Jx
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8XcHCJ

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3vHX8d

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8wPRcf

Please help, I'm waffling between these three different builds that are about the same price.

This is just a gaming computer, no video editing at all.
>>
Anybody see any good fleshlight/pocketpussy deals?

I'm just curious if that sort of item also goes on sale. Not looking to get one myself.
>>
>>51550559
If your looking for productivity I recommend 21:9 monitors 1080p(2560x1080) its cheaper than 1440p that's for sure you should have more space on the screen to work with or multi monitor if that's in budget.

Other that its hard for me suggest any thing else since your build is geared more to productivity and efficiency. Also not to familiar with ATI/AMD line of GPUs

But if your looking for a direction to start in I would say to look at what kind of hardware would best serve the programs you would be using. For example: how much does photoshop benefit from more ram? Or is it more effected by the CPU? Or harddrive speed? If you video editing its definitely the GPU.

The important thing is to ask yourself the right questions (and asking google the right ones as well) and go from there.
>>
>>51550673
>Not looking to get one myself
Telling lies on the internet.

>Not having $120 bucks for personal enjoyment
Being this much of a scumbag
>>
>>51550757
Thank you again for the help
>>
I'm wanting to get a 980 Ti. Waited for black friday for it. I saw this on memory express... I haven't paid attention to video cart stuff since like, the 600 series, possibly even earlier. Is this a good card? Is it shit? I appreciate any advice. 130$ off + rebate is pretty nice.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX57628
>>
>>51544682
I researched a bit and the cpu should be good for crossfire in the future, also 2.0 pcie should also be fine. If you meant the second card I purchase being something in the unforeseeable future that may get bottle-necked then yeah sure, not sure how to account for that without going above price range. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though anon!
>>
File: 1437357474189.gif (289 KB, 300x162) Image search: [Google]
1437357474189.gif
289 KB, 300x162
>>51542327
>1600W PSU
>>
Don't know much about PC's but have been trying to research about building one that suits me.
I basically need a pc that's efficient with editing 4k video. My budget is around $2,000.
I saw this build and wanted to know if it'd work well.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/62NYYJ
>>
Hey can someone give me some feedback on this build? I'm looking to keep it under $1300 including all the peripherals. What are your guys thoughts on R9 390 vs GTX970? When I picked the R9 390 it showed I had a compatibility issue with the case saying that it could block some of the drive bays. Would that be a significant problem? Also I'm trying to figure out an alright keyboard but I don't want to shell out too much for it and I'd rather not have a mechanical keyboard since those are usually too noisy.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WGh7Q7
>>
>>51550172
Which is great, but it actually doesn't.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_980_PCI-Express_Scaling/21.html
>>
>>51542327
>NCIX Canada
Linus pls go
>>
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/instancism/saved/#view=dbdhP6

Heading to my local memory express tomorrow to buy all the parts, what do you guys think? Mostly want something that will last me 3 years
>>
Is the Gigabyte R9 390 as shitty as people say?

I just found out it's got complaints for booting the computer when it's shut down or some shit, and runs hot during idle times.

It's got a $40 CADbux discount going on, and that was the reason I was going to get the 390 over a GTX 970.
>>
>>51552394

the asus 390 is the same price if you like MIR
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vrkfQ7
Acceptable?
>>
What're the benefits of a H170 mobo to a H97?

A build I'm doing has a 3.2GHz CPU and 8gb of ram either way, but the H170 & i5-6500 raises the cost by about 100.

Is it just allowing better upgrade options for the future?
>>
>>51552875
>http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vrkfQ7
Don't you need a Z97 motherboard to overclock?
>>
File: 1445804447778.jpg (33 KB, 500x636) Image search: [Google]
1445804447778.jpg
33 KB, 500x636
>>51542782
Jesus christ I wasn't expecting that feel
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.