[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, I'm new to Linux, NSA/Windows10 scared me. I tried
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1448070079266.jpg (145 KB, 850x1303) Image search: [Google]
1448070079266.jpg
145 KB, 850x1303
Hey /g/, I'm new to Linux, NSA/Windows10 scared me. I tried installing Linux Mint on my desktop, but can't get a wired internet connection to come through. I also don't have a wireless card. The wired card is a "rtl8169/8110 family pci gigabit ethernet nic" and the motherboard has a standard wired connection as well. I've tried finding the correct drivers online but my desktop won't use them. How do I fix this?
>>
Welcome to the Linux world.
>>
Normally networking should work right away. Especially with a wired connection. So thats weird...
>>
I had similar issue. I deleted my existing Ethernet connection from my network manager and then it made a new one automatically that worked. If that doesn't work I might be able to find the commands that fixed it another time.
>>
>>51525747
Sometimes it flat out doesn't work. Best way I can think to test if you can even get them to work in the first place is make a bootable arch linux flash drive, boot to it and type ping www.google.com, you won't have to worry about installing anything since the root is straight off the USB

pro tip for copying it btw, cp arch.iso /dev/sdX works fine, no partition required, it'll wipe the drive
>>
Try a nonshit distro, I suggest Lubuntu
Linux Mint, Arch etc. are bad for beginners
>>
>>51525747
The card that you use is should be working out of box. I can advise you to try "lspci" or "dmesg" but you are new to linux, so that things are probably meaningless for you. So I recommand that you try another distro like debian or ubuntu or ask some help to computer geeks who live nearby.
>>
>>51525888
I'd love the commands, your first tip unfortunately didn't work for me.
>>
not him but try
ifconfig <your interface> up && dhcpcd <your interface>
>>
>>51525747
>>51526228

to get command line interface, you should go to framebuffer by "Ctrl+Alt+F2". try "ifconfig" to know your interface name. I don't know mint still use ifconfig which is a legacy, but if you can't successfully get the informations, then try "ip addr" instead.
>>
>>51525747
>NSA/Windows10 scared me. I tried installing Linux Mint on my desktop
meme'd, my fellow sir :^)
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.