[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Define the word 'hacker".
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: Rrright.gif (2 MB, 265x200) Image search: [Google]
Rrright.gif
2 MB, 265x200
Define the word 'hacker".
>>
Me.
>>
One who steals a friend's phone to post on their Facebook self depreciating statuses including but not limited to "I'm gay, and I love big black cock"
>>
4chan.
>>
The playful cleverness of doing things using tools that wasn't necessarily intended to work that way.
>>
File: 1448248521018.png (366 KB, 1501x690) Image search: [Google]
1448248521018.png
366 KB, 1501x690
The curious. Those's who wish to know all about aspects in regards to computers, networks, and information.
>>
>>51516505
Was your use of the word "wasn't" supposed to be an example there, anon?
>>
The new culture being appropriated by white Millennial hipsters wanting to look cool, after which the entire community will be like a digital Detroit.
>>
File: whynotstallman.jpg (69 KB, 600x804) Image search: [Google]
whynotstallman.jpg
69 KB, 600x804
A true caltech kek
>>
>>51516526
Hahaha white!
>>
The hacking community developed at MIT and some other universities in the 1960s and 1970s. Hacking included a wide range of activities, from writing software, to practical jokes, to exploring the roofs and tunnels of the MIT campus. Other activities, performed far from MIT and far from computers, also fit hackers' idea of what hacking means: for instance, I think the controversial 1950s "musical piece" by John Cage, 4'33" (****), is more of a hack than a musical composition. The palindromic three-part piece written by Guillaume de Machaut in the 1300s, "Ma Fin Est Mon Commencement", was also a good hack, even better because it also sounds good as music. Puck appreciated hack value.

It is hard to write a simple definition of something as varied as hacking, but I think what these activities have in common is playfulness, cleverness, and exploration. Thus, hacking means exploring the limits of what is possible, in a spirit of playful cleverness. Activities that display playful cleverness have "hack value"
>>
>It is hard to write a simple definition of something as varied as hacking, but I think what these activities have in common is playfulness, cleverness, and exploration.

By this definition, my penis was hacking your mom last night.
>>
>>51516614
>hacking a corpse
my mom is dead.
>>
>>51516626
And?
>>
someone who hacks away on a piece of software, tinkering with it till it works.
>>
>>51516503
:^) this
>>
Hacker = playing around with things for fun or curiosity

Cracker (often mislabeled "hacker") = someone who seeks to exploit vulnerabilities in a system to prove a point, malicious purposes, etc.
>>
File: 1447893000911.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
1447893000911.gif
3 MB, 359x202
>>51516463
Someone who uses something for its non original purpose. Trust the stoner.
>>
>>51516463
Hacker: Person who exploits security holes for whatever reason
Cracker: White Man who keeps people down
>>
>>51516548
howd he get so fat?
>>
>>51517630
>>>/b/
>>
>>51516576
*tips beanie
>>
Hacker: anyone who can use Cain & Abel on Xbox live to obtain someone's IP, and then SSHing into their toaster to burn down their house.
>>
Somebody who uses a tool or service outside of it's intended purpose?
>>
>>51516463
A person who cuts corners/develops solution to overcome certain problems more efficiently.
>>
Someone who shitposts on 4chinz to see others reactions
>>
>>51516463
Mr. Robot
>>
Someone who teaches bitches how to swim.

Jokes aside, someone who's interested into things (usally tech things) with the purpose of knowing their inner workings and exploit them, be it for a novelty gadget or circumventibg a protection; a hacker differs fron an engineer for its drive: where an engineer studies things for work, a hacker does shit for passion.
>>
>>51517647
too much free software.
>>
>>51516463
Someone who has a deep understanding of a system or something to the point of being able to know the strengths and weakness of said system, improve the system by fixing the flaws or destroy it and/or abuse it.
>>
>>51517647
He injured his knee during folk dancing so he can no longer exercise. Also he loves food, he's apparently quite the gourmet.
>>
>>51516463
Some people are hacks, but Richard Stallman's even hacker.
>>
A hacker is someone who hacks
>>
>>51516463
An individual who cuts material using a sharp wedge tool, usually an axe
>>
In June 2000, while visiting Korea, I did a fun hack that clearly illustrates the original and true meaning of the word "hacker".

I went to lunch with some GNU fans, and was sitting down to eat some tteokpaekki (*), when a waitress set down six chopsticks right in front of me. It occurred to me that perhaps these were meant for three people, but it was more amusing to imagine that I was supposed to use all six. I did not know any way to do that, so I realized that if I could come up with a way, it would be a hack. I started thinking. After a few seconds I had an idea.

First I used my left hand to put three chopsticks into my right hand. That was not so hard, though I had to figure out where to put them so that I could control them individually. Then I used my right hand to put the other three chopsticks into my left hand. That was hard, since I had to keep the three chopsticks already in my right hand from falling out. After a couple of tries I got it done.

Then I had to figure out how to use the six chopsticks. That was harder. I did not manage well with the left hand, but I succeeded in manipulating all three in the right hand. After a couple of minutes of practice and adjustment, I managed to pick up a piece of food using three sticks converging on it from three different directions, and put it in my mouth.

It didn't become easy—for practical purposes, using two chopsticks is completely superior. But precisely because using three in one hand is hard and ordinarily never thought of, it has "hack value", as my lunch companions immediately recognized. Playfully doing something difficult, whether useful or not, that is hacking.

I later told the Korea story to a friend in Boston, who proceded to put four chopsticks in one hand and use them as two pairs—picking up two different pieces of food at once, one with each pair. He had topped my hack. Was his action, too, a hack? I think so. Is he therefore a hacker? That depends on how much he likes to hack.
>>
>>51516463
Define geek, nerd, etc
When some words became popular among the general public it will lose its original meaning over time.
>>
>>51516463
ez; maker.
>>
A person who can use a French toast as a switch
>>
>>51516505
someone who playfully does things that with things that weren't supposed or designed to be done with those things
>>
>>51519075
faggot
>>
File: Life-hacks-Collage.jpg (217 KB, 728x1028) Image search: [Google]
Life-hacks-Collage.jpg
217 KB, 728x1028
>>
>calling someone a hacker

Why does everyone still do this? They're crackers, not hackers.
>>
>>51526448
crackers are hackers, hackers aren't necessarily crackers
>>
A systematic extermination of Jews by the Nazi's
>>
It's 2015 nobody says hacking anymore.
>>
Someone who can pirate minecraft
>>
>>51526448
>Why does everyone still do this? They're crackers, not hackers.
this is bullshit made up in the 70s/80s

there is no difference between 'good' hacking and 'bad' hacking, trying to give it another name is just stupid and purposly trying to confuse the issue for people who are not tech savvy.

There are white hat hackers and black hat hackers, I have never seen the term 'cracker' used anywhere in the media
>>
>>51526498
Normies use it when someone figures out their instaface password. Or they get a hold of their phone.

Somehow that's hacking
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.