[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do really need all this fucking math in the real world of computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: 1447968829625.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1447968829625.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
Do really need all this fucking math in the real world of computer science?
>>
>>51510521

Math is literally code for.how the real world looks.

Also modern computer science is all "big data" and patterns and number crunching.
>>
Yes. Unless you want to write front-end javascript all day for the rest of your life.
>>
>>51510521
Yes, + -, ocasionally * and /.
Unless you write specific math shit but nobody does
>>
Yes, you do
> inb4 I'm biased since I'm a Math/CS double major
>>
>>51510521
If you study formal languages and compilers you will see that writing code is purely writing mathematical expressions.

Also database queries are algebra (relational algrebra) and the list of examples goes on...

Undergraduate CS here
>>
>>51510521
depends what you call "real world of computer science" if you want to be a comp scientist working on algorithms or cpu aritecture etc then yes.

If you just want to work in IT as a server admin or programmer or whatever then no, absolutely not.
>>
>>51510651
Do I need calculus for anything. My school is pushing it so hard.
>>
File: 1445400311517.png (409 KB, 619x710) Image search: [Google]
1445400311517.png
409 KB, 619x710
HoTT based languages when?
>>
>>51510670
UGH!!!!! Why do colleges push it on you so hard?
>>
>>51510680
Generally you will need more discrete math than calculus, like set theory, linear algebra etc
>>
>>51510699
>If you just want to work in IT as a server admin or programmer or whatever then no, absolutely not.
So this applies?
You're in the wrong degree.
>>
>>51510699

Anything worth doing requires actual effort.

Welcome to the real world...
>>
>>51510699
Math professors need work and money
They want to kick out the weaker students

solution: find out which school is easy with maths in your region and switch there
>>
>>51510711
I was thinking of getting my AS in cs then decide what I want to go for with my BA. I don't quite know what I want to do in computer science.
>>
>>51510680
>>51510521
It's literally only training you to use complex logic for problem solving. Enjoy 5 years of math for a career that any pleb can train himself to be proficient at in 2 months.
>>
>>51510521
Inb4 haskell
>>
>>51510808
Too late >>51510651
>>
>>51510521
Daily reminder that computer science is not a course in programming, it is a course in mathematics.
>>
>>51510849
>Daily reminder that computer science is not a course in programming, it is a course in mathematics.
nicely put
>>
>>51510763
If you want to keep your options open, you'd better suck it up and learn the maths.
>>
>>51510521
Yes. Everything with computers ultimately comes down to mathematics, so if you want to be any good with programming them, you need a decent understanding of maths.
>>
>>51510706
I'm a CE student, my servo and signals classes use a lot of calculus
>>
>>51510699
You're the kind of person that will drop out really fast, just do us a favor and stop bitching here
>>
>>51511005
Nice, that only proves that computer-* are, in fact, mathematics.

I pointed the discrete maths because it is what i usually deal with.
>>
>>51511104
What do you do?
>>
Saying "you don't need to understand math to program" is like saying "you don't need to understand physics to make buildings".

Sure you could sort of make an argument that it's true, but it misses the point.

You can certainly be successful in IT without it, but it's like the difference between a structural engineer and a construction worker.

And really, the only excuse not to is intellectual laziness.
>>
>>51511178
I'm undergraduate in CS.
>>
>>51511216
And yet, that laziness gets a lot of people a lot of really great careers. Yeah the firm is going to want the graduates too, but why would they use them to write 150 lines when the lazy kid who learned to program in his basement can solve the problem in 25 lines
>>
>>51510521
>do you really need all this fucking math in the practical application of mathematics?

yes you underage fuck
>>
>>51511104
Software tends do use much more discrete math than continuous math, but in hardware it's the opposite way because physics and shit.
Anyway, math, in all of its forms, is a must for computing
>>
>>51510521
Every program is a mathematical proof.
>>
>>51511261
I'm not talking about formal education, I'm talking about understanding math.

Are you somehow implying people who don't know math write more concise code than people who do?
>>
File: dist07b.gif (337 B, 178x24) Image search: [Google]
dist07b.gif
337 B, 178x24
If you can translate this to code you have all the math understanding you'll ever need. Everything else is just fucking googling for a formula.
>>
>>51511261

Except that base level entry level crap isn't a career. Its a Job. You don't advance in your career with a better understanding of the bigger picture.
>>
>>51510521
>implying math is hard
>>
>>51510521
If you have to ask, you shouldn't be taking CS
>>
>>51510521
If you're too stupid for highschool math, you'll be too stupid for programming.
>>
>>51510711
But CS degrees can get you into those jobs (and others if you so desire down the road) while being a lot more valuable, can't they?
>>
>>51511868
No not really. It's a mistake to assume that CS is a field of IT. It's very possible for a CS professor to know all the secrets of CS while also having no idea about how to use a modern computer. This is because CS and IT are two different fields, your knowledge in one doesn't imply you have knowledge in the other.
>>
>algebra
Lmao what the heck would I ever need to use this for in the real world?
>>
>>51511918
algebra is a tool invented by the jews to keep us in line
>>
>>51511902
Really? A CompSci degree wouldn't get you into a programming job? http://www.rasmussen.edu/degrees/technology/blog/what-can-you-do-with-computer-science-degree/ I know >rasmussen but if you disregard that you'll see it has actual decent sources listed for what's being said. I ask this because I've always thought a CS degree was for me as someone interested in doing programming or something similar for a living. I can definitely deal with math for 4 years if it means better job prospects in the future, but I don't want to be doing intricate, complex calculus every day for the rest of my adult life either.
>>
Imagine this:

The CEO of your company comes to you and says

>Hey anon. I want to rice my desktop but I have too many pictures of my waifu and it's getting tedious to match my terminal colors to her. Write me a program to automate it. Oh, and since we only write evil, freedom denying software here you are strictly forbidden to use any open source libraries.

You think for a moment and say

>No problem, I'll just implement a simple k-means clustering algorithm to perform vector quantization and extract a reduced color palatte. Thank god I have a basic understanding of euclidean distance and statistical methods.

Or maybe you will say
>Wow how the fuck am I supposed to do that faggot? Fuck off I'm in the middle of an argument about text editors
>>
>>51512221
Kek'd. That sounded cool so I decided to check it out on wikipedia. Yeah, I'm definitely not really interested in those things at all.
>>
So I wouldn't be able to be some sysadmin with an informatics degree?
>>
>>51512142
I was actually referring to IT administration jobs. Most people who study CS are most likely to apply those skills as a professional programmer.
>>
>>51510521
math is fun yo
>>
>>51512506
Nigga it aint that difficult to understand.

Math in general gives you abstract problem solving techniques. If you aren't interested in solving problems, I'm not sure why you're interested in technology.
>>
Computer Science is a misnomer, it's more accurately called "Computer Mathematics".

While it is loosely related to things like software development and programming, it is a completely different discipline.
>>
>>51513287
*mathematics of computation
>>
>>51511261
t. lazy manchild who still lives in the basement and can only write 25 lines of code
>>
Every so often I will sneak a plug in equation into the midst of other equations that are solved by order of operations just to fuck with the kids.

All of them trying so hard... indeed, they do show their "proof". None of which matters because when they try to plug it in, it won't work.

Math is anything you want it to be. As an instrument of torture, it excels.
>>
>>51511918

I have X apples, I give you 3 apples, now I have 2 apples. How many apples did I have?

Algebra.
>>
Generally no you don't need a huge amount of math. For me, the only thing I consistently use is knowledge of data structures. Not even algorithms, just data structures. Like, if you want to look up something in constant time, use a hash table, stuff like that.

I mean, it barely counts as math, but it is math sort of because you're describing stuff with big O, etc.
>>
>>51512221
/thread
>>
File: elaine.jpg (88 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
elaine.jpg
88 KB, 500x375
>>51512221

pasta worthy?
>>
>>51510687
As soon as we show univalence is constructive.
>>
>>51510521
real world computer science doesn't exist
>>
>>51510521
Undergrad computer science is mostly baby-tier math anyway.

>>51510680
>struggling with Calculus
Two digit IQ right there.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.