[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just downloaded Ubuntu Mate and it is the first time I wanted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: ubuntumate1404-appindicator.png (1 MB, 1369x898) Image search: [Google]
ubuntumate1404-appindicator.png
1 MB, 1369x898
Just downloaded Ubuntu Mate and it is the first time I wanted to install a Linux OS on my Laptop. Are there any kind of recommendations /g/ can give me? How user friendly is it for a fag that used Windows for most of the time.
>>
>>51509601
>not using Arch + MATE
>>
install gentoo instead
>>
>>51509601
LMDE is a good starting point IMO.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software
>>
>>51509601
get ubuntu gnome anon
>>
>>51509631
Can I set up full disk encryption straight from the CD without messing with configs and possibly fucking it up?
>>
>>51512371
>gnome
Lol, funny.
>>
>install the latest version of mate
Ubuntu Mate 15.10 comes with version 1.10 of the Mate desktop. open a terminal and do this:
>sudo add-apt-repository https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mate-dev/+archive/ubuntu/crazy-mate
>sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If you're on a laptop, try replacing the standard mate menu with the advanced one, which is much more keyboard friendly
>>
>>51512608
fuck, i meant:
>sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/crazy-mate
>>
>>51512608
But anon, it says Don't Use This PPA!
Are you CRAZY?
>>
>>51512636
they just want to scare of the most tech-impaired users. i use it on my laptop as we speak.
>>
New to this as well do I have to install compiz to get decent Vsync on mate?
>>
>>51512744
Compton.
>>
>>51512393
use an arch redestribution with a installer or the AUI script.
>>
>>51512751
Thanks nigga
>>
>Ubuntu MATE

Might as well installed Linux Mint.
>>
Xubuntu >
>>
Pray it will boot the next time.
>>
How to develop a Linux DE:
1. Fork some old crap
2. Change name
>>
>>51513852
If you're talking about MATE then I have to say it was needed. Gnome 2 was great and they changed everything in Gnome 3. People can't just use the old version forever, things need to be developed. So it has to have a seperate name from now on.
>>
>>51512371
The orange buttons and scroll bar in contrast with the lime green, oh god my eyes
>>
>>51513892
Cinnamon shows you can fork gnome 3 and make it functional while still using modern tech.
>>
>>51513999
>super-buggy
>1/10th the features of mate
>slow as balls
Sure showed us.
>>
>>51514032
You clearly haven't used cinnamon in recent years. I haven't encountered a single bugs and can't think of any features mate has that cinnamon doesn't.
>>
>2005
>KDE and gnome are both great
>XFCE is another option
>LXDE is too simple but it works
>2015
>KDE and gnome are chimeric horrors
>gnome removes features every release, makes themes incompatible just as often, and is slow as fuck
>KDE is muh flat 50% screenspace usage per program bullshit and segfaults all the time
>XFCE is buggy as fuck
>only trinity and mate are remotely usable

>2015 is such a shit time to be alive that the only way to get anything done is literally to rely on <2005 software for everything
>>
File: Screenshot.png (317 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
317 KB, 1440x900
This is my mate desktop, it's a pretty good os. It requires a little tinkering to get it running well but that's really just personal preference. I find conky to be a good addition, but that's not really mate specific, just treat it as you would any other linux distro
>>
>>51514142
2clocks, lmao 2clocks!
>>
Mate is so comfy
>>
File: screenshot.png (739 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
739 KB, 1366x768
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.