[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Mint Cinammon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
File: Screenshot-desktop-17_2.jpg (69 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-desktop-17_2.jpg
69 KB, 1366x768
So, /g/, I'm soon to download Linux Mint Cinammon 17.2, having no Linux experience and coming from Windows Vista.
How many of you use Mint Cinammon?
How does it run on old machines (2GHz CPU, 2GB RAM)?
Is there anything objectively bad about it?
Can it be riced?
>>
Cinnamon is easy to use coming from windows. And while I'm not sure about ricing cinnamon itself, it's easy enough to change wm when you are ready. I currently use i3 on mint
>>
>>51501105
Cinnamon should be easily usable with your specs. But you need to configure it a bit bc it looks like shit when it comes out of box
>>
>>51501236
Great news. Could it serve as an introduction to Linux?
>>51501266
I see, does it look anything like the pic I posted in OP? I'd be happy to configure it, so long as I could figure out how
>>
>>51501105
You're not going to make it autism certified rice, bit it's still good and an excellent babby's first Linux.
>>
>>51501274
IMO mint is the absolutely best into to Linux distro right now

The pic in OP looks like out of the box cinnamon to me
>>
>>51501290
That's great, I dont like anime anyway
>>
>>51501105
I use Cinnamon on Arch Linux and yeah it's really easy to customize. The good things about it are that it comes with very little bloat and its based on gnome2 which was the last usable version of gnome.
>>
>>51501294
Its not that bad, but it could always be better. Can the tweaking of the GUI be done from in the settings or do you have to download other progams and such?
>>
>>51501328
Most of it can be done thru a GUI and downloading themes, icon packs, fonts, etc. You can go deeper by editing config files, which you should get accustomed to for non-ricing reasons.
>>
File: Screenshot_at_23_26_15.png (828 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_at_23_26_15.png
828 KB, 1366x768
Definitely a great intro to linux and very easy coming from windows. I used it for about a year before switching to arch. Cinnamon is comfy and pretty decent looking imo.
>>
Not op, but wanting to wipe mom's computer to put Mint on. She uses Skype frequently, how is the port? Usable?
>>
The only thing bad about it is outdated packages, but that shouldn't affect you.
>>
>>51501409
Yes, despite what autists will say.
>>
>>51501105
Got it running on a shit box thats maybe ten years old and it runs pretty well, went from struggling to run in vista to going decently well with Mint.
>>
>>51501581
Oh great. Vista is a piece of shit on the laptop I'll be running it on. Takes ages to load, almost featureless, 2edgy4me black gloss everywhere, and its not even genuine
>>
>>51501105
I don't use Cinnamon on Mint, but I have been using it for like a year on my Arch install.
Runs smooth and looks great as soon as you apply a theme, love everything about it.
Don't fall for the i3/awesome meme, ever.
>>
>>51501832
"i3/awesome"? What on earth is that?
>>
>>51501409
It kind of depends. It's a bit of a hassle getting everything set up depending on your hardware.
In some cases it will just all go straight away.
In other cases you could be fucking around with drivers and boot managers for days on end, it's hard to say.

Once you've got all the programs ready and everything is smoothed out, it's easy enough to use, as long as you just want to do skype and some basic internet browsing etc
>>
>>51501389
can i get that wallpaper?
>>
>>51501860
Tiling window managers.

Awesome is crap, but i3 is pretty nice especially for work type things. I use i3 but still keep cinnamon to switch to for general bs and gaymen.
>>
>>51501105
a) get the 17.3 beta instead

>>51501304
b) >>>/out/
>>
>>51501409
>She uses Skype frequently, how is the port? Usable?
Yes. I would even go as far as to say that the Linux version of Skype is more usable than the Windows version.
It may not look as pretty, but at least it fucking keeps the text box focused when you switch conversations.
>>
Not op here, been using mint exclusively for almost two years now. How can I change those ugly ass silver window borders? I've tried the theme chooser from the settings. Didn't work and I didn't have any fucks left to give so I'm asking here...
>>
>>51501105
cinnamon is the most windows 7 like DE I've used so far and I say that in a good way

you're just a keyboard shortcut away from aerosnap like window management too
>>
>>51501105
We're not your personal tech support, and abuse of the code tag may result in a ban as per >>39894014
>>
>>51503148
>IM AUTISTIC PLEASE STOP
>>
>>51503160
Cry to the mods, not to me.
>>
>>51503184
Show me where I asked for tech support, you imbecile
>>
>>51503202
>Newbie asking for advice regarding his specific system and 'ricing needs'
>>
File: woop.png (53 KB, 604x238) Image search: [Google]
woop.png
53 KB, 604x238
I use Mint Mate on an old computer, first time to Linux and I heard Mint was also quite lightweight so it was perfect.
Been using it for more than a year now and learned a lot of things and how to use the command line, it's a lot of fun plus it can do everything I did on Windows so I don't really need a windows computer any more.
I plan to build a computer next and going with Debian, see how that works.
>>
>>51503243
Actually just a newbie asking for opinions and subjective points of view more than anything, and the ricing part was a joke. Stay autistic, Anon
>>
File: 1438276276325.jpg (17 KB, 316x239) Image search: [Google]
1438276276325.jpg
17 KB, 316x239
>>51503244
Nice!
If I could access my BIOS on my main laptop, I'd switch from Windows. However, nomr of the F- keys I've tried let me change the boot order.
>mfw
>>
>>51503258
>asking for opinions and subjective points of view more than anything
You were asking for objective bad points in OP.
>and the ricing part was a joke.
Me too.
>Stay autistic, Anon
You being annoyed != me being autistic
>>
LM Cinnamon 17.3 will be available in a few days and you should be able to update.
>>
>>51503277
Disables windows fast boot.

>>51501409
Skype works fine, I have some trouble with it dynamically adjusting my microphone volume though (some people actually like this)

>>51502729
>a) get the 17.3 beta instead
advising a new user to install an upstream distro. How does it feel to be part of the problem?
>>
>>51501105
Linux mint is a very nice introductory distro. That said, Cinnamon is not very ricing friendly. Get used to the bash and read the installgentoo wiki to know more about ricing.

Suggestion: Don't waste time in ricing, make yourself productive
>>
I bought a 'TismPad as a dedicated GNUbox. I have no idea how to into computer, and am coming from a lifetime of Windows - which I will continue to use for my desktop, which is mostly for entertainment.

Installing Manjaro took two hours. The first hour was figuring out how to burn the installation files onto a jump drive, followed by messing around with the boot order. The second hour was figuring out why the installation wouldn't actually take, as well as how to rearrange the boot order so that it wouldn't try to load Manjaro from the jump drive.

I have no idea what I'm doing. I chose Manjaro because of its access to the Arch User Repository, which to my knowledge is basically a collection of user-submitted files and configurations for basically everything you can think of to one of, in not THE most rice-friendly distros out there. I'm just figuring out where I want to go from here.

I tried a few lessons for Ruby on Windows, and would like to continue that, as well as Python or something. Is there something akin to notepad++ for Linux? What the hell is this emacs/vim things I see every now and again? Is there a difference between terminal emulators?

I just want to get into this as a hobby. I want to learn more about computers and how they work.
>>
File: screenfetch.png (141 KB, 807x293) Image search: [Google]
screenfetch.png
141 KB, 807x293
Mintfag here, any GTK/Icon theme recommendations?
>>
>>51501389
ur pic is XFCE
>>
>>51503851
There isn't a best way to learn how to into computer related autism, just investigate things you find interesting. Don't be coerced by people saying x or y is bad or good, try things and figure it out yourself.
>Is there something akin to notepad++ for Linux? What the hell is this emacs/vim things I see every now and again?
you pretty much answered your own question, emacs and vim are both editors, although they're a little confusing to use at first. You could use something like that, or if you want something 'easier' you could use something like geany.
>Is there a difference between terminal emulators?
Yes, that's why there's more than one. It won't usually matter to you though.
>>
I'm personally beta testing latest Cinnamon and it is bretty good. I would recommend give stable version of Mint a try OP, especially if you're used to Windows.
>>
>>51503887
Icons: Numix Circle
GTK theme: Stylishdark
>>
Void/bspwm user here.

What makes all you people say that Mint is a great "introductory" distro? Does it suddenly get worse as you become a more advanced user?
>>
>>51501389
Someone has the wallpaper for me?
>>
File: linux_terminal_wallpaper.png (3 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
linux_terminal_wallpaper.png
3 MB, 2560x1440
>>51504005
Google Images is your friend (who collects your information and will stab you in the back)
>>
>>51503950
OP here, installed Mint an hour ago now and liking it. I think I may even habe it installed on my main machine some day. (Or maybe something more customisable)
>>
>>51504042
The best type of friend!
>>
>>51503887
> Sable
> High Contrast
But I just like white on black
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.