[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just clawed my way in to CS, how fucked am I?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Just clawed my way in to CS, how fucked am I?
>>
>>51498143

How long you been programming?
>>
How easily do you give up?
>>
>>51498626

Excellent question.
>>
>>51498626
Not easily, if i did i wouldnt have made it in
>>
>>51498402
About a year give or take
>>
>>51498666

You have a chance then.
What languages are they teaching you?
>>
>>51498402
>CS is just programming
What shit school did you go to?
>>
>>51498694

Good. At least you started.
>>
>>51498706
From what I know, C and java, outside of that im not sure. Im in AP CS, learning java now, and so far it's a breeze. Only issue was my math. Im in honors math (not AP), but have had A's in it for 3 years. The problem was my SAT math score, and it was my lowest on my ACT as well (26), but i scored 35 on science
>>
>>51498723
Ive been learning C++ on my own, using java for my class
>>
>>51498713

Of course not "just" but if you havent already started it might be a bit of a shock.
>>
>>51498733
How does that mean you clawed your way in? You literally just sign up for the course
>>
>>51498758
Yeah, true. But seriously though, no lies here, I would much rather be doing coding and nothing else. If I had known CS included a lot of mathematical theory and algorithm knowledge (kinda a no-brainer in retrospect), I would have stuck to bio.
>>
>>51498775
They rejected me at first because of the SAT math score. They had a record number of CS applicants. I took the ACT and it got me in
>>
>>51498746

Cool. You seem well set up then. If you intend to be a professional programmer I would also recommend reading stuff like "The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master" by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas. Also "Refactoring" by Martin Fowler. Then at some point, read about the processes used to develop software, like Scrum, XP, Kanban etc Good luck.
>>
>>51498820
Will do, thanks.
>>
>>51498784

Sure. Maybe they have another degree you could switch to which focuses more on coding?
>>
>>51498143
Depends on if you're a degenerate video game addict, /v/tards never pass the first semester.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.