[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is windows 10 worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: gwt.jpg (10 KB, 385x216) Image search: [Google]
gwt.jpg
10 KB, 385x216
Hello /g/, been waiting a while on upgrading to windows 10 because I'm currently on windows 7, and have never had any issues. Would my performance or experience improve if I upgrade? Is there any reason to leave behind windows 7? What are your experiences with 10?

>about my laptop
>ASUS N53SN running windows 7 home premium (now a handful of years old)
>i5 @ 2.30GHz, 8gb ram, with a nvidia gt 550m
>mostly used for video and photo editing via adobe's CC, and a bit of casual gaming, BF4, Skyrim, CSGO, Mass Effect, etc.
>>
>>51495428
ty based anon, but can you please expound?
>>
nah don't do it. it works fine on my machine but probably take a crap on yours. so stick with ol' crusty win7.
>>
>>51495417
With those specs it should run well. Question then is whether you want it.
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>51495417
yes, windows 10 is a better, faster, lighter OS than 10, just like 8 was to 7. People who tell you otherwise aren't your friends. There are a few legitimate reasons you might not want to upgrade.

I've heard of crashes with 550m in particular a few month ago. May or not be fixed by now.

Privacy - this issue is overblown to some extent in terms of the sensitivity of information collected, but not being to control it without registry edits and other hacks is extremely frustrating, and automatic updates which could add more at any time is not acceptable.

If you are looking for gaming performance boosts in particular I would not expect any miracles. Some game might be faster by 1 to 2 fps.
>>
>>51495685
Besides the privacy issue, I've experienced annoyances with Windows updating when it wants, regardless of your input. It also set a warning to display EVERY TIME I turned my volume up past a certain degree. I fixed that for myself, of course, but it still isn't cool.
>>
>>51495476
thats what i fear

>>51495543
i'm happy with 7, i was just wondering if it was truly better. to use the cliche, if it ain't broke don't fix it - and while I don't imply that 7 doesn't have room for improvement, but it works... and it works well.

>>51495679
forgot /v/ existed tyvm

>>51495685
hadn't heard about the 550 crashes, but yeah I don't expect a miracle by any means. I've heard of some workarounds for many of the privacy issues you brought up. Taking everything you, and everyone else thus far has said, into consideration I think I will continue to postpone my upgrade - if I upgrade at all.

Thanks anons!
>>
>>51495762
hmm... yeah I can't have update annoyance. I often keep programs running over night, like if I have to render or export a huge video or other file, or if I am uploading a file to the web. I don't see myself being too happy if a multiple hour render is stopped forcing me to restart everything after I wake up or something.
>>
>>51495772
I believe you can go back to 7 if you don't like 10, so if you don't mind messing around with your pc a bit, you should give it a shot.
Personally I dislike windows 10 because of the design.
>>
>>51495840
op here, and yeah it is possible to return to 8 and 7 without loosing any data, but I'm approaching finals in school/ due dates for projects/ etc. and can't risk time used returning or the potential loss of data. I'm off for thanksgiving right now and had been considering giving it a shot, but I think I'm just going to stick with 7. Its been a workhorse for me.
>>
>>51495772
Well, if you try it and don't like it, you can go back to 7 from settings->update&recovery->recovery. It keeps a backup of your old Windows for 30 days and can undo the Win10 upgrade within that period.

If you wait longer than 30 days and it deletes the backup, you can always still return to 7 by formatting and installing it fresh. Or grab a spare HDD, use Clonezilla to image your 7 to that and upgrade one of the two while leaving the other disk on untouched 7.
>>
>>51495878
In that case i suggest you keep your current os until you are done with your school stuff and start messing with it later if/when you don't have to work on the computer.
You can get the free upgrade to 10 for a year after launch, so there's no hurry yet.
>>
>>51495878
>>51495930
I believe the deal is if you upgrade to 10 within the first year it stores some fingerprint of your key and your system with the MS servers. Then at any later time if you reinstall 10, it'll be activated.

If I'm still not really liking how 10 looks by next July, I'll backup my 8.1, upgrade, and restore the backup. That should put my machine in as permanently good to go for 10 in the future when they fix it in a way that I'm comfortable upgrading.
>>
>>51495417
It is better get windows 10
>>
>>51495888
>use Clonezilla to image your 7
Durr, I just remembered the "system image" backups 7 can do. No need for Clonezilla, just grab a drive that's at least as big as the used space on your drive and run that. No messing around with live Linux CDs or even having to reboot to do the backup. Then at least you can go back easily if 10 fucks up the "go back to previous version" thingy.
>>
General comment on this thread is, sorry if I seem skeptical of 10... but 8 was atrocious so I hope you can understand why I am so set on 7 and skeptical of 10.

>>51496055
schaweeeeet, yeah i have a 3tb external that can hold my data a hundred times over.

>>51496009
not to be a jerk but... because? what makes 10 better than 7?

>>51496005
good idea on backing up a copy of 10!
>>
You will definetly feel a performance improvement. At the cost of botnet
>>
>>51496171
>good idea on backing up a copy of 10!
Doesn't even need to be a backed up copy. Simply upgrading and activating it within a year of launch should make the PC permanently eligible to activate a clean-installed copy at any time in the future.
>>
FO4 ran like shit on my W7 and now on W10 it's night and day difference. Cant really say anything else is different. I guess it was worth it for me tho..
>>
>>51496367
>FO4
what are your pc's specs? i want to get fo4, but i'm 99% sure i can't run it.
>>
>>51496412
In response to myself, I can't. Tragic.
>>
>>51496005
Smart idea.
>>
>>51495762
>It also set a warning to display EVERY TIME I turned my volume up past a certain degree.

I've never heard of W10 doing this. What does it say when you turn the volume up?
>>
how can windows 10 be faster then 7 with all the crazy bloatware it comes with?
>>
>>51497029
It certainly boots faster than 7 at least. Everything Metro seems slower than normal win32 stuff in 7 though, and it's almost impossible to avoid. AFAICT the fastest overall is 8.1 -- minimal Metro junk, almost all of it easily avoidable, has the improved boot times of 10, and its flat theme is a bit less resource hungry than Aero Glass.
>>
>>51497107

If you disable hibernation boot times are unchanged from Windows vista to 10
>>
Just use it is what I say, as someone who still runs 7.

It has faster boot times, runs faster, more features and looks really well. Neat stuff too like the "Maintenance" thing which automatically runs tools like defrag, windows update, .NET Optimization service etc. If you don't like it you can restore your Windows 7, just go to settings > update > backup/restore and the button is right there.

I went back to 7 because it broke muh workflow but if that doesn't matter there's basically no risk in trying.
>>
>>51497307
Wrong. Using full restart, 8/10 are still faster to boot than 7.
>>
You're being spied on regardless of the os you use so you might as well be up to date.
>>
>>51495417
Don't do it op trust me on this, I have a similar laptop to yours. N53SV. To my laptop I had to mod the bios to get the hotkeys to work. Audio became shit because you lose sonicmaster. In general its pretty buggy on the N53SV. I still run Windows 10 though since I ironed out most bugs. Plus I just like having my laptop boot in 10 seconds, so there's that. I can't say the say the same for n53sn bios issues. But audio will definitely be a headache to get working right. Can post time stamp to prove I own the damn thing
>>
Is the LGBT the best version of Windows 10 there is?
>>
>>51497433
Dual booting on an SSD here. I see no difference in loading times for the OS from a restart or cold boot, it's still 6 to 10 seconds to desktop.
>>
>>51495417
Better tiling
Native ISO mounting
Native support to taskbars on multimonitor
Native support to virtual desktops
Native scroll the window under the pointer instead of the focused window
Direct-X 12
A bit lighter, but nothing much.
The metro start menu or start page, that after being configured in 10 minutes, is better than 7 start menu with all the submenus, sorted my productor names, and with uninstallers and readmes instead of just the program.
Native "print to pdf" menu.

If you don't care about any of this, stay on 7.

I'm probably forgetting more staff that I now give for granted but wasn't in 7
>>
Is 8.1 worth upgrading to from 7?
>>
>>51495417
no 10 is fucking garbage
>>
>>51495417
>lose all freedoms
>gain updated UI and minecraft story mode

gee I dunno, is it worth it?
>>
>>51502827

>Better tiling
Useless
>Native ISO mounting
There are tools to do it better
>Native support to taskbars on multimonitor
Useless for most people
>Native support to virtual desktops
Useless for most people
>Native scroll the window under the pointer instead of the focused window
Truly fucking useless
>Direct-X 12
Useless so far and in the immediate future, there's like what, 1 fucking game that makes use of it so far
>A bit lighter, but nothing much.
It's not, really, but whatever

It offers nothing over Windows 7 to be perfectly honest and has had nothing but problems since release - it's laughable that Microsoft drops the 2nd big release aka "Threshold 2" and announces "We're confident that with Threshold 2 businesses will begin their migration towards Windows 10..." and only days later yanks Threshold 2 because of some still unannounced major fucking showstoppers and security problems that people are still guessing about.

Fuck that, Windows 7 forever.
>>
>>51503613

On the contrary (look that word up, son, 'cause I know you have to) the very reason(s) I won't use Windows 10 are because I have used it, tested it since long before it was even called Windows 10 - that history of having to deal with it definitely put me in a position to know quite a bit about it.

But you wouldn't understand that either.
>>
>>653629767
>keylogger is tinfoil, and non-existent
>microsoft info share was only if you have the pre-release test version
>everything else, including microsoft edge/internet explorer can be removed.
is this true?
>>
Wait for Windows 11
>>
Try 8.1, it's easier to disable the botnet and it's a nice modern system.
>>
File: win10.jpg (1 MB, 3664x2626) Image search: [Google]
win10.jpg
1 MB, 3664x2626
>>51495417
>>
>>51495417
Either stick to Win 7 or get this :
Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB N Privacy en-US x64, while installing, answer everything with no, thank you very much. then run this >>>wushowhide.diagcab
everthing no..
Then install Opera mini from yandex, or Maxthon from chinks(any way you choose, there will be a backdoor somewhere).
You now basically have win7 x64 that has only 10 gb on HDD instead of 19 or 28(depend on the version)
I honestly use my PC only for fun(games , movies, internet etc) and a little job(sell some shit,but i vcould do than on a smartphone).

If you are in for the fun, stick with Win7, i really didn't notice any "better performance" on win10, any real speed is either placebo or some millisecond somewhere you will not notice IRL.

As far as I could notice, maybe you could have problem with some obscure game here or there (I didnt have),drivers also..

You can, it wont do you no harm(probably), but it wont do you no good either...

its more of a :"would you stick your hand in lions mouth, you could, everything coulf go right, but maybe it coulf go wrong, so why should you"
There are NO DX12 GAMES ON HORISONT!!!!!"
>>
>>51503530
Most of these are subjective.
Notice I didn't say "you should upgrade" but "if you don't care about this, stay on 7".
That's the beauty of choice.
I use those features, I like ten.

Or at least liked it until two hours ago when it started giving me countless compatibility problems for what I have to do in matlab.
Fuck 10.
>>
File: 20151124.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151124.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Me right now senpai
>>
>>51506565
holy shit this whole post is a mess.
>>
If I got windows 10 for free from that event they did and I wanna upgrade my CPU and gpu and mobo would I have to reinstall windows 10 or would it just reconfigure itself on the hard drive when I plug it in to the mobo?
>>
Don't.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.