[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jimmy Wales: "All major internet traffic is going to be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
What do you think? Is he right?

>“A few years back we were in the golden age for spying on the general public,” says Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia.

>“Virtually all chat was not encrypted at all, it all went in the clear, anybody could sniff your connection, whether it was the NSA or somebody in your local network, [they] could see what you were saying on chat,” he continues. “It was a really bad situation. A lot of privacy activists, security people were worried about this, but no one was really listening. It was very, very easy to spy on people.”

>But things have changed. According to data company Sandvine, 29.1% of data packets sent over the internet in April 2015 were encrypted. By 2016, this number is expected to jump to 64.7%, as Netflix switches completely to SSL. Wales believes that this will prompt a steady move across the web, until only the very smallest sites remain, as he calls it, ‘in the clear’.

>“Over the next couple of years that’s going to end up being a 5 to 6% slice [that isn’t encrypted], and it’s going to be some very small websites and things like that which haven’t bothered to do it,” he says.

http://factor-tech.com/feature/jimmy-wales-all-major-internet-traffic-is-going-to-be-encrypted-very-very-soon/
>>
>>51492396
Fuck this terrorist
>>
>>51492827
why is he a terrorist?
>>
yes. lets encrypt is going to fill the gaps of sites that still don't use encryption. we will within a matter of months 100% of all the web will be encrypted
>>
Guess why the NSA saves all encrypted traffic. Hint: to easily decrypt it a few years later
>>
>>51492396
>>But things have changed. According to data company Sandvine, 29.1% of data packets sent over the internet in April 2015 were encrypted
How the fuck would they even know exact percentages down to a decimal?
>worriedlaughter.jpg
>>
>>51493301
desu is seems fucking ridiculous, considering all the redundancy for websites and netflix they would get.
They would be saving every GoT Episode 100,000 times over
>>
>>51493368
you act like the jews/reptilians who control everything won't give the NSA enough computing power to pull that off.
>>
>article about encryption
>http link
>>
>>51493417
reptilians don't need NSA :~
>>
>>51493474
how else are they going to control us yet keep themselves hidden? the NSA is controlled by the reptilians and their friends the jews. the jews have sold humanity.
>>
>>51493474
>reptilians don't need NSA

Reptile don't lie to me.
>>
File: coolface.png (27 KB, 469x428) Image search: [Google]
coolface.png
27 KB, 469x428
Doesn't encryption enable violence against females? This is anti-feminist agenda. Encryption ultimately feeds the trolls and hurts females.
>>
>>51493217
It's a joke. A bunch of politicians are fear mongering, saying that if we encrypt everything they'll never be able to spy on suspected terrorists (read: everyone).
>>
>>51493598
oh, I didn't know. I'm not from usa though
>>
>>51493217
because he's promoting encryption (aka terrorism)
>>
File: 1408485145046.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1408485145046.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>51493634
It is happening everywhere
>>
now i see why paris got shot up
>>
Digital content is still personal property. What I type in my computer is the same as what I write in paper. It is fucking illegal to open the letters of people. And they are trying to use this tactic, this tactic of distancing real life to digital life. They try to prevent people in thinking digital content is also real content. They try as much as possible to word things, to make people put two and two together, that digital content and activity is real life content and activity.
>>
>>51493368

Almost like they would need 3-12 exabytes of storage at a datacenter somewhere.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center
>>
>>51494343
Well said, I hate how governments are trying to blur the line between physical and digital content.
>>
>>51492396
>Netflix switching to ssl
But that's fucking retarded
Media has no need to be encrypted that's just a waste of bandwidth and processing power
>>
>>51493368
>They would be saving every GoT Episode 100,000 times over
That's the least relevant stuff, that kind of data can be easily deduplicated
The problem is all the other inane shitposting literally everywhere, variations of the same image recompressed a hundred times and so on
>>
>>51494060
that's a qt girl
>>
>>51492396
>as Netflix switches completely to SSL

Is Netflix encrypting their video streams?

If so, fuckin-a, 2015 is awesome. That computing power has gotten so cheap that a fucking VIDEO STREAM can be SSL-encoded is *amazing*.

- a guy whose first taste of the Web was in 1994
>>
Wow, way to go, making it easy for the terrorists to get away with more attacks like in Paris. Why doesn't anybody ever think of the children?
>>
>>51496397

So qt that a neckbeard tried to kill the President to prove his love to her.
>>
>>51496453
wat
who is she
>>
File: Oldmanshakefist.jpg (60 KB, 306x586) Image search: [Google]
Oldmanshakefist.jpg
60 KB, 306x586
>>51496495

That's Jodie Foster, you whippersnapper!

Google Reagan assassination attempt. Also, watch Taxi Driver sometime.
>>
>>51496571
ooh damn.
well im not from the USA so
>>
>>51493547
Think of all The mysoginistic racist cyberviolence
>>
>>51496444
because shit like SSL has been easily decrypted by even dumbfaggots like the folks on /g, for almost half a decade now.
>>
File: 1447608619544.png (75 KB, 789x346) Image search: [Google]
1447608619544.png
75 KB, 789x346
>>51496147
Where in the world would such an inane activity occur? Who could possibly have enough free time?
>>
>>51496678

Ask your parents. I'd be somewhat surprised if they didn't know, since it was a huge world leader and such a bizarre incident.
>>
>>51496444
Maybe if we didn't import shitskins we wouldn't have this problem.
>>
>>51493598
It's hilarious because what these latest attacks have shown is that terrorists don't even use encryption. The attackers in Paris communicated with unencrypted text messages. They even found their messages on their recovered cell phones.

It's also fucking mind boggling that France passed so many privacy invading surveillance laws, yet couldn't catch these Daesh fuckers before they hit up Paris. And yet they continue to say that surveillance works.
>>
>>51497113
Guess you need encryption when you're spouting hate speech like that anonymously online, right?
>>
>>51497135
One attack getting through doesn't negate the countless threats thwarted. This is a stupid ass argument.
>>
>>51497227
Please, tell all about these "countless threats" that the surveillance state has thwarted.
>>
>>51497227
What thwarts? For all the championing of their surveillance programs, when responding to criticism, neither France nor the US can name a single time when surveillance has helped thwart a terrorist attack.

Hell, a fucking White House member admitted that the NSA's mass surveillance program hasn't even thwarted a single threat.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/nsa-program-stopped-no-terror-attacks-says-white-house-panel-f2D11783588
>>
>>51497396
I still feel the US isn't serous about surveillance and is just spending money to keep the security budget up.
>>
>>51497396
Hell, the only thing 'attacks' the US has stopped are the few "lone wolves" that the FBI had talked in to trying some shit. Talk some poor bastard in to trying to blow something up, offer to sell him ammunition or explosives, and then bust him for terrorism
>>
>>51497450
See >>51497490
Gotta pull some shit like that to keep the budget up, and prove that your agency needs to exist.
>>
>>51497490
>Hell, the only thing 'attacks' the US has stopped are the few "lone wolves" that the FBI had talked in to trying some shit

Yep.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-fbi-entrapment-is-inventing-terrorists-and-letting-bad-guys-off-the-hook-20120515
>>
>>51493217
Because he is constantly asking me for money
>>
>>51494343
The incredible thing is when they argue that your personal content doesn't belong to you, but "stealing" copyrighted content can get you fined into the ground if they feel like it.
>>
>>51497396
That's because the purpose of the surveillance programs has nothing to do with thwarting terrorist attacks. Terrorism is a negligible threat, unless of course you live in a Middle Eastern country on America's naughty list, in which case prepare for fucking trouble.
>>
>public key infrastructure
>safe from gov agencies
Pick one
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.