[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what exactly is wrong with windows? The way I always understood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: home.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
home.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
So what exactly is wrong with windows? The way I always understood it was that the OS is just a workbench for your tools (aka software) that is fine as long as it supports basic multitasking. So wouldn't the greatest difference between systems be the tools that they support? I would much rather have a simple workbench on which I can use my normal toolkit, instead of a pretty looking one that I need to always use awkward workarounds on. Besides, what essential productivity features does windows lack that someone would use regularly in their workflow? Windows also has the advantage of having third party tools for every situation imaginable so it wouldn't be hard to overcome those difficulties.
>>
@51483387
Great post, familia
>>
Because its an OS that went from being as you describe, a workbench with tools, to a fucking ultramodern sleek white plastic and glass table with massively placed out but cramped cubbies for tools, and theres no option to remove some of the more "dangerous" tools, and working directly on the glass surface of this workbench is prohibited because you might scratch it

i use windows vista for work, offline only, and thats it
>>
>>51483423
>ultramodern sleek white plastic
Care to elaborate? I'm personally loving all the productivity features on 10 such as the multiple desktops and fullscreen start menu.
What are the dangerous tools? What is prohibited?
>>
Source code not available (proprietary as fuck). Annoying licensing DRM. Ancient filesystem. Registry is annoying to deal with. Didn't force Adobe and Java to remove update prompts. Steals your data and advertises to you.
>>
>>51483641
Why would you need the source code? I have never seen anyone encounter problems with DRM either. All the problems you are listing are far from problems that restrict your daily workflow. NTFS is very stable and is not lacking in any way
>>
>>51483724
The main problem here is that, not everyone does the same with their devices.
Personally, i love the ease of use of windows 10, and as a benefit of a third world country, there cant be any FBI on my door for downloading Game of Thrones so theres no problem with that.
Even then, when i need to transcode something, or start muxing some high quality media, i switch to arch, because better RAM management.

But, just like that, there are people out there with more concern for privacy, or programming 24/7, and the command line tools of linux would help them more
>>
>>51483387
for most use cases, especially the average /g/ user's platform-agnostic mindless media consumption binge and web surfing? yes.

but for others, no. whether it's just based on preference or whether one operating system offers a better foundation for those tools than the other

>>51483641
>Steals your data and advertises to you.
only consumer versions of Winshit 10 and maybe 8, which can all be disabled or opted out of anyway.

I think most of the big shit like data mining happened when you attached a Microsoft account to the system.
>>
>>51483387
nice reddit post
>>
The CLI is terrible in every aspect. I need muh unix tools and everything to be a file.
>>
>>51483387
>So what exactly is wrong with windows?
Nothing anon. Absolutely nothing.

Please continue enjoying you're Windows computing experience.
>>
>>51483411
>@51483387
You aren't on Twitter, dickfungus.
>>
Your analogy is all mixed up
>>
File: 1445284396568.gif (2 MB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
1445284396568.gif
2 MB, 350x300
>>51483423
>windows vista
Whoa there grandpa. Tell us some stories about punch cards next.
>>
>>51483387
It's unbelievably slow compared to any *nix
>>
File: 60KlVJ.gif (780 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
60KlVJ.gif
780 KB, 320x240
>>51483423

>VISTA

I had a hearty good kek
>>
Well basically it's like having a home but no being able to have the stuff the way you want. yes it has the tools to work with and has a bigger share among average computer users but for some people it's difficult or impossible to call themselves at home at it, like it had paper-thin walls and might feel somehow observed constantly, which in GNU/Linux doesn't often happen if you know how to.
And appart from that some little developers like the freedom you embrace with GNU/Linux
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.