[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /g/s thoughts on QT? Anyone use it for development?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: qt-logo.png (14 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
qt-logo.png
14 KB, 512x512
What's /g/s thoughts on QT? Anyone use it for development?
>>
>>51481496
I used it at a job for a seriously massive C++ project. Breddy Gud; we made extensive use of the QStateMachine to get a lot of work done, and the implementations of common data structures are useful.
>>
>>51481496
>thoughts
none really
>anyone use it for development
well yeah, of course people use it for development
just not anybody here
>>
>>51481496
I like it quite a bit. Get the official editor and you can drag and drop forms like in netbeans for Java. Would recommend if you need to get a nice gui done in c++ quickly.
>>
>>51481496
You know how C# is supposed to be "C++ ++"? Qt is basically C+++. It adds a lot of the modern things C# and Java have (templates to do the things you assign as homework for freshmen, a standard library for making GUIs, abstractions for complex stuff) and it adds the seriously beautiful Signal/Slot system, but it's still just C++ so it compiles to native code.

Signals and Slots are a mechanism that languages need to have natively. They simplify projects with a lot of moving parts and make concurrent development a lot cleaner.
>>
Qt itself is a really, REALLY nice collection of software built by people who obviously know C++ really well. The Qt libraries are actually really, really well made as a replacement/supplement for stdlib, and the Qt IDE is legitimately the best IDE I've ever used.

That being said, programs that use Qt are often shit. KDE and LXQT are far slower than their counterparts, and Qt5 apps often don't follow systemwide icon themes.

TLDR:
It's really really good if you're a C++ developer, kinda irrelevant if you're looking at it from a consumer perspective.
>>
>>51481853
>the Qt IDE is legitimately the best IDE I've ever used.
Jetbrains IDEs are better, IMO. Their visual debuggers are more informative and it makes it easy to shift between languages.

QT editor has the UI builder, though, so if you're using that it will beat out Jetbrains.
>>
Can you use Qt without QtCreator and qmake? It seems like Qt tries to take over everything, so I went with gtkmm instead.
>>
File: 1448248546612.jpg (190 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1448248546612.jpg
190 KB, 550x550
>>51481496
They're's little doubt it's the best GUI framework hands down.

I just refuse to use it because they try to lock you into they're ecosystem and force you to use they're shitty types to use it.

If they would just go full ISO standard on everything that they should (and could), I'd jump onto it in a heartbeat.

>Till then, newp.
>>
>>51482574
>It seems like Qt tries to take over everything, so I went with gtkmm instead.
I'm planning on doing the same thing anon.
>>
Qt is pretty good, I recommend using the last stable version 3.14
>>
>>51482574
>without qtcreator
Yes.
>without qmake
No.

Nothing wrong with that. gtkmm is a clusterfuck, honestly, and I'm saying that as someone that used it for years. I'm so much happier with Qt.
>>
Anyone got an idea what a perpetual licence costs?
>>
I think it's pretty qt.
>>
>>51481496
It's probably easier to use than GTK
This coming from someone who has only used GTK+ 3 and C
>>
>>51481496
Qt is great. Support for lambdas as slots and the new signal/slot syntax is pretty nice.

Qt is great for learning C++ since the API is much easier to learn than stuff in boost and std. A lot of the time you can find what you want just with autocomplete, without having to result to documentation or stack overflow.

So if you are a newcomer to C++ and you want to do something like split a string on a comma, in Qt it's obvious and easy; without Qt you'd have to go look up how to do it.

>>51482675
>best GUI framework
>they make you use their types
What do you expect?
You're illiterate. Please learn English before continuing to post.

>>51483059
Stable version is 5.5 or 4.8.
>>
>>51483396
> ===== joke =====>
> ( . _ . )? Anon
>>
What do you guys suggest to learn Qt? There are a lot of books from ~2010, are they still relevant? I think they use Qt 4.x.

Has any one read the 2nd edition of Application Development with Qt Creator?
>>
>>51483396
not too illiterate to tell you to fuck off friend.
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>51481496
Probably the best cross-platform gui toolkit out there. Never really gotten into it though, it's easier just making a web app these days despite browsers being a POS.
>>
What's the difference between the free one and the paid one?
What's the difference between qt quick and qt widget?
>>
>>51482574
qmake is what draws in the Qt frameworks.
You can use Qt Creator without Qmake (if you're making a program that doesn't need the Qt framework - it'll ask you) but you can't make a program with the Qt framework without using Qmake, similar to how you can't use the C++ stdlib with GCC.
>>
>>51483312
GTK is easier to use (especially if you're using a nice ide, such as GTK# with Monodevelop) but harder to make something great with.

Qt is a total paradigm shift from other toolkits such as GTK or WF. The whole signal/slot thing isn't going to be familiar to someone who hasn't used Qt before, but once you are familiar with it you'll realize that it's way better than the "write a function call and hope it works!" style of GTK and WF.
>>
>>51485409
>What's the difference between qt quick and qt widget?
Qt Quick is what you use to make an application using the Qt Quick toolkit. Qt Widget is just a GUI designer.
>>
File: 1418692440540.gif (439 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1418692440540.gif
439 KB, 640x360
>>51483059
>Qt Pi
>>
>>51487338
Strike that, I mistook my terminology.
Qt Quick is easier to use but has MUCH less features than Qt Widgets.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.