[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Unity hated again >no screen tearing unlike most DE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: KXAEa.png (711 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
KXAEa.png
711 KB, 1680x1050
Why is Unity hated again

>no screen tearing unlike most DE
>looks nice out of the box
>uses the best window manager known as compiz
>comfy to search for application with dash
>>
We had this exact same thread yesterday.
>>
>>51468899
It's a meme to hate.

>peace, faggot.
>>
>>51468909
that's the 4chan slogan
>>
File: 1447984628614.jpg (40 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1447984628614.jpg
40 KB, 500x375
>>51468899
>>
Let's see

>"start" button not in the corner of the screen so you can easily move your mouse there - it's not even separate from the other buttons visually, has no special status
>top bar is mostly just wasted space while left bar could easily be moved there from taking up your horizontal space
>the left bar is atrocious - I frequently have 5+ terminals open, the bar only shows 1, doesn't even show their count, and when I click the terminal icon I have to move my mouse all the way to the center of the screen to do an extra click, doesn't even show me the window titles
>full of retarded design decisions such as hiding the close/max/min buttons when a window goes full-screen
>limited-ass customization
>Amazon and all that shit
>>
>>51468899
>screen tearing
I don't know what driver you are using but on radeon all you need to do is enable tearfree and all DEs/WMs will no longer have this issue.
>>
>>51468939
You have inspired me.

>>51468974
>I frequently have 5+ terminals open, the bar only shows 1, doesn't even show their count, and when I click the terminal icon I have to move my mouse all the way to the center of the screen to do an extra click, doesn't even show me the window titles

Try Win+[number of application's slot]
>>
It doesn't use compiz anymore though
>>
>>51469010
yes it does, mir still isn't there.
>>
>>51469010
Unless you're talking about Unity 8 that isn't even released for desktop yet, Unity 7 is still using compiz.
>>
>>51468899
fuck off with your shilling threads, faggot
>>
>>51468899
I don't hate unity, I just love i3 too much to ever want to use it.
>>
>>51468899
>looks nice out of the box
Unity looks like a piece of garbage.
>>
>>51469000
Byoutiful
>>
File: 1gG2q.jpg (46 KB, 328x328) Image search: [Google]
1gG2q.jpg
46 KB, 328x328
>>
>>51469000
trips of truth
>>
Does anyone know how I can change the orange in the scrollbar and selected tab indicator for GNOME Terminal? I've already edited my theme's gtk.css file but it the only thing it didn't change was the terminal's stuff. Yes the terminal is set to pull from the theme.
>>
>>51469028
>>51469021
Please check if compiz is installed at all.

It only works with gtk2 DE fyi, lightdm does the job now
>>
>>51469000
>Try Win+[number of application's slot]
That's not faster than directly clicking to a window on a normal task bar, plus I don't always have my hand on the keyboard. Otherwise I could be using a tiling WM.
>>
>>51469084
Unity is still Compiz.

>>51469089
>That's not faster than directly clicking to a window on a normal task bar

But it's not any slower, no?
>>
>>51468899
>Why is Unity hated again
Because it just works
>>
>>51468899
I don't like not being able to turn off compositor (does Unity 2D disable it ? idk..) so if I want to play any gpu intensive game I have to boot in a different DE or just login with Steam Big Picture
>>
>>51469084
>lightdm
>My desktop manager = my window manager

wat
>>
>>51469140
Also don't like how I can't customize panels much because it's just so irrational that you may want to switch the dash panel to the right or bottom.
>>
>>51469104
>But it's not any slower, no?
Actually yes it is since I'll have to look at the number, press super+number and then still have to click a window
>>
>>51468899
>Why is Unity hated again
Because it's a shitty version of GNOME. Just use GNOME.
>>
>>51470308
I like unity more than GNOME. GNOME sucks ass
(I could not get along with it at all)
>>
>>51468899
I find is slightly better than GNOME 3, but they're both shit
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.