[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please help me /g/ 2 problems 1) Top graphics card temperature.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: temphelp.jpg (45 KB, 582x459) Image search: [Google]
temphelp.jpg
45 KB, 582x459
Please help me /g/
2 problems

1) Top graphics card temperature. I have my side panel fan in intake configuration roughly above the cards. What should I do to fix this? Could it be the thermal paste drying out?

2) I have 48gb ram installed now, but have the modules and slots for 64gb. The computer becomes unstable with all modules installed, all modules tested known good. Is that necessarily motherboard problems or do I not have my settings configured properly? Should I increase ram voltage?

Thank you
>>
>>51463000

>48 gigs of ram
>Two 680's

into the trash
>>
>>51463000
Top 680 is getting less air than the bottom 680. Fix that by making sure that the top card is not sagging too much, and moving the second card down a slot, if a third PCIe slot is available.
>>
>>51463000
are the gtx 680's reference cooled models? Or open air coolers? Are they in pcie slots 1 and 2? Or staggered at 1 and 3?

Are all the ram sticks the exact same brand, make, model, speed, and timing?
>>
>>51463077
>>51463054

Thank you for your kind replies. All ram modules identical and tested good with ramtest.

G-sklill 1866mhz ddr3

Cards are reference cooled models, would aftermarket coolers really make that big of a difference?

The cards are next to each other in slots 1 and 2 but if I move one down it will be right up against the power supply, which would just block the air to the lower card instead right?

Also I'm pretty sure my third slot isn't x16 maybe x4 or something.

If i were to get new motherboard what should I get? ok to get new processor too but want to stay ddr3.
>>
File: X79 Extreme6(L1).jpg (611 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
X79 Extreme6(L1).jpg
611 KB, 1200x1000
>>51463195
judging by your motherboard, your 3rd pcie slot is x8. SLI won't be hindered by running a video card in x8. Separating the 2 would make leagues of difference for temperatures.

As for ram you say it is ddr3 1866mhz but according to your speccy, it is running at ddr3 1333. Which means the BIOS defaulted it to run at 1333mhz and you manually have to change it. Usually there is an XMP profile that will set the RAM to it's advertised specs.

Is the ram ddr3 1866 @ 1.5v or 1.65v? What is it's rating on the package?

If the mobo undervolted the ram to 1.35v, some sticks might not be able to maintain stability at the low a voltage.

Try manually setting all the RAM to advertised speed and 1.65v via XMP profile in the BIOS. ddr3 is rated up to 1.8v safely so don't worry about breaking them.

This is assuming the PC posts with all sticks put in. You can make it into the BIOS?
>>
>>51463341
oh and I found this on [H]ard forums.

> Running a full memory load, you're unlikely to get any higher than 1600 and be stable. SB-E doesn't have the greatest memory controller for overclocking, make sure you up your VCCSA (system agent) to ~1.200V if you're getting crashes. Are you running mixed sets? I run 32GB, one 4x4 of 1600 CAS8 and another 4x4 of 1866 CAS9, I set both to run at 1600 8-8-8-24 1T with no problems yet.

Seems Sandy Bridge-E's memory controller wasn't really up to snuff. Simply bumping ram voltage might be the key.

As for new cpu/mobo but keeping ddr3, not possible. At least no the amount you have. New stuff is X99 and all ddr4.
>>
>>51463341
Its http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231529

Will check voltages in bios. thank you for your help. It posts fine with 64 and will run for a while, days even, but always ends up crashing with bsod.
>>
>>51463415
>>51463341

Back. I think im being pretty retarted here but when i reboot I dont get the option to enter bios? The first thing i see on my monitor is my login screen?
>>
>>51463684
sound like your monitor it taking too long to boot up and your PC is making it past splash screen before the screen comes on. In order to see splash screen sometimes, you need to do a full shutdown then manually restart. Just a reboot won't help as Windows has a cache it keeps when restarting.

Otherwise as soon as the PC is starting, keep tapping the delete and/or F8 keys alternating during boot. those are the usual keys to enter BIOS.
>>
File: temphelp.jpg (64 KB, 781x554) Image search: [Google]
temphelp.jpg
64 KB, 781x554
>>51463684
Nevermind. I was being retarted. it was putting it on my second monitor which was off.

Changed to xmp profile from auto

set frequency to 1866

Will need different case or mods to move graphics card down, also proper sli bridge.

seems better now?
>>
>>51463773
good. hope it works out for you. Speccy saying 933mhz means yup, 1866. And the timing change too if you noticed. 9-9-9-24 is default ddr3 timing. The increased RAM speed and different timing means XMP is enabled.

If it is still unstable from here, I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>51463897

Thanks for all your help. I guess ittl take a few days to find out. Even running memtest it would drastically outlast my patience before it would detect an error.
>>
>>51463897
Also, I guess if its unstable its motherboard? could cpu also be the problem?

Also psu maybe? I have seasonic 750w
>>
>>51463982
doubtful the PSU is the problem. It could potentially be the motherboard yes. All depends on what the BSOD says. The error usually points in the right direction.

Is your 3820 overclocked at all? I know it technically isn't unlocked, but the 3820 can still be overclocked via BLCK. Have you messed with that at all? An unstable clock can cause BSODs. Although unstable CPU usually shows itself much sooner.
>>
Still unstable, all kinds of bullshit
>>
>>51464007
what is the voltage on the RAM you have set? I know stock is 1.5v according to newegg link, but try bumping to 1.65v manually while keeping same speed/timing. Like mentioned, the memory controller in SB-E is weak.
>>
File: IMAG0251.jpg (1 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0251.jpg
1 MB, 2688x1520
All clocks stock, just got all the iron never saw the need.

At 1.5 will go 1.65
>>
>>51464004
Also, I did look into the overclock but it seemed that the mildest oc i could do would be to 4.6, is that safe?
>>
>>51464076
sure. test the CPU with something along the lines of prime95 stress test. If it can pass 15 minutes of blend testing, it is stable.

Blend test also severely test RAM stability as well. Like a lot.

For intel you don't want to see above 90C on any of the cores for too long. Hope your cooler is up to snuff.
>>
>>51464138
Ugh still unstable. Going back to 48gb. Whats the best mobo for x79, asus x79 deluxe? Theyre all still pretty expensive might just stay with the 48
>>
Should i keep it at 1.65v or go back to 1.5? Sorry for all these nub questions
>>
>>51464200
>>51464237
won't hurt to keep it at 1.65v as it is hurting nothing and the extra voltage will allow the ram to fluctuate if needed.

As for best X79? Pretty much anything from Asus. Asrock is more a budget minded brand than anything else. This coming from a guy who has owned Asrock in the past and moved onto Asus and noticed a huge difference.
>>
>>51464347
yeah, i expect asus to be a better brand for sure, the price difference when i built was like $200 though.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.