[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tl;dr: If I want to hardcore get in to programming, will I care
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: Peter-Hitchens-008.jpg (9 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Peter-Hitchens-008.jpg
9 KB, 460x276
tl;dr: If I want to hardcore get in to programming, will I care if I stick with windows 10?

Fuck Linux

>have laptop with windows 8.1 and Ubuntu
>try to use Ubuntu
>WiFi won't work, ruby won't install, updates won't install
>replace with mint
>accidentally delete windows in the process
>WiFi won't work in mint, wired internet won't work either
>troll /g/ for over two days while searching through 9001 Google pages for an answer, seeing 9001^2 methods to fix things, each method containing 9001^3 steps and each step involving typing 9001^4 incomprehensible characters in to the terminal
>replace mint with Ubuntu
>it's slow and feels bloated like windows but hooray everything just werks
>do nothing but install updates and entry level programs
>restart
>Ubuntu shits itself while restarting
>turn on computer
>won't go past Ubuntu start screen
>try multiple times
>order new laptop with windows 7 preinstalled right there on my phone
>>
Maybe you should address and figure out why these things don't work with linux, and then fix them. It would be educational

and no, you shouldn't get hardcore into programming since you will be competing with minimum wage indian workers that are better than you if you are balking at fixing slight issues in linux
>>
you don't have the mental capacity to "hardcore get in to programming" if you can't even figure out ubuntu. you can become a shitty hipster web dev or scripter that just copy-pastes stackoverflow answers though.
>>
>>51461816
>Literally thought using Linux would make him a hacker

Stick with Windows
>>
>>51461866

Fiddling with IT / SYS admin level black box bullshit /= programming
>>
>>51461816
>can't figure out linx
>thinks he's going to enjoy programming
but seriously though, the way you describe your linux experience, you ain't gonna like programming bruh
>>
>>51461921
I don't think you understand what programming is, just buy a copy of dreamweaver and become a webdev like that other guy said
>>
>>51462021

>sys admin = IT = programming

Kek
>>
>>51462071
>thinks getting ubuntu to work requires it/sysadmin level shit
just stop
>>
>>51461853
>implying op isn't indian
>>
if you 'accidentally' remove windows from your computer (like seriously how do you even manage that), have to order a whole new laptop, can't figure out how to use ubuntu, can't figure out how to install ruby on ubuntu, can't figure out how to copy-paste stuff into the terminal, can't figure out how to use the terminal etc WHY THE FUCK DO YOU WANT TO GET INTO PROGRAMMING IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE LITERALLY NO COMPUTER KNOWLEDGE WHATSOEVER

GET A MAC

JEEZ
>>
>>51462093

>thinks an error message with ten million characters and ten million solutions on Google and which may or may not be dependent on installation method is solved in one second
>>
>>51462125
>can't understand an error message or trouble shoot a problem
>thinks he's gonna be a programmer
ok kid
>>
>>51462119

I'm being trolled. Of course I know how to get ruby etc but it just wasn't werking for incomprehensible reasons.

There was that image of the email exchange with bill gates failing in his attempt to install and use windows software. He's not low IQ and neither am I. We just get frustrated by bullshit that stands between us and the big important challenges. Us high IQers don't pat ourselves on the back after spending ten days ricing a district while compiling it from source and getting the taskbar width to pixel level accuracy
>>
>>51461816
>to hardcore get in to programming
> Fuck Linux

/thread ogre
>>
>>51461816
>Ubuntu shits itself

Yeah, this happens to a lot of people. I know other fat retards will make you feel guilty but just so you know, if you're using 15.04 you will be prompted to install 15.10. Well, make sure you're not using the proprietary AMD drivers because that shit will fuck your Ubuntu and make it lock on the boot screen.
But yeah, there are retards that will defend Linux no matter what.
Install Antergos or Manjaro, retards here say those distros are useless because "dei dunt tiich u anydin", fuck them. No one cares about " learning" how to install an OS.
>>
>>51461816
Lol retard.
>>
>>51462188
this is the best bait I've seen in ages
>>
>>51461921
If you can't figure out IT / SYS admin level black box bullshit then you definitely shouldn't be a programmer.
Just admit your incompetence and go back to Windows.
>>
>>51461816

if you already struggle with simple linux stuff, getting "hardcore" into programming might not be your thing. Problem solving is an important part of programming.
>>
File: 6h9OZwz.gif (858 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
6h9OZwz.gif
858 KB, 500x281
>>51462188
>Us high IQers
>>
>>51462188
>Comparing yourself to Bill Gates.
If you really had a high IQ you wouldn't have any problem figuring out Linux.
I have average IQ and i don't have a problem with Linux, any issue I've come across I've been able to fix.
Just fuck off already.
>>
>>51462301
Beat me to it.
>>
> Windows
> "harecore programming"

Pick one.
>>
File: 1438590728356.jpg (105 KB, 960x613) Image search: [Google]
1438590728356.jpg
105 KB, 960x613
>>51461816
If you aren't willing to at least find out why these small problems are appearing in your OS, then you shouldn't be a programmer. Stick with Windows because your to autistic to use Linux
>>
I'm curious now, what exactly are you expecting programming to be like op? are you expecting to write out plain text instructions that some compiler is gonna magically interpet into a program or what?
>>
>>51461816
Ignore the motherfuckers in this thread. The problem isn't that you don't understand Linux or are incapable of figuring it out, it's that you're wasting time on that worthless freetard OS instead of learning to code. Learning to fix a broken mess of a shitty operating system that should be working in the first place doesn't give you skills that are applicable to programming.

Contrary to circlejerk belief, Windows is the most popular operating system for programming. Just get hold of Visual Studio or some shit and start learning.
>>
File: RafOk.png (109 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
RafOk.png
109 KB, 300x300
>>51461816
>"I want to hardcore get in to programming"
>can't even install Ubuntu
>>
>>51461816

Cant get Ubuntu to work...holy shit, Ubuntu installs itself. It literally involves turning on your computer, inserting a CD, and typing in your name. My five-year-old daughter has done it.

That's like fucking up a cup of coffee, how is it even possible?
>>
>>51462605
I tried programming C on Windows. Never again.
>>
File: 1447942210376.jpg (46 KB, 304x932) Image search: [Google]
1447942210376.jpg
46 KB, 304x932
>>51461816
I have installed pretty much every derivative of Debian, it is not that complicated. Just use Xubuntu + Compiz and you are good to go.
>>
>>51461816
You want to be a hardcore programmer?
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>51461816
>Fuck Linux
>Have laptop with Ubuntu
stopped reading.
>>
>>51461816
>the epic over 9000 meme
>mfw my fucking 12 y/o brother spews this shit at inappropriate times.
Fuck OP's shit thread, I'm gonna /blog/ a bit.
I was watching an episode of King of the Hill where Dale becomes an HR agent, and I think he gets a filing cabinet at the end, and my brother was like, "I bet that cabinet is big enough for OVER NINETHOUSAND cigarettes."
I pretended like I was unfamiliar with the meme, and just was like "Probably more like nine hundred. I dunno."
I'm very disappointed. How do I stop my brother from spewing five-year old memes?
>>
>>51461816
>buying a whole new laptop instead of just reinstalling your OS
Two digit IQ right there.
>>
>>51464553
>I tried programming C on Windows. Never again.
What's wrong with C on Windows? I'm a Debian+i3 fag myself so I'm not shilling or anything. Just curious.
>>
>>51465222

You either have to use something like MinGW to get an environment and compiler that works (might as well just use Linux and not have to deal with bullshit) or suffer through .NET, which doesn't let you run the compiler directly. You either have to use visual studio or run the specific "visual studio command prompt" which lets you run the compilers.
>>
>>51465266

whats wrong with using VS command prompt, it was configured for you and just werks
>>
>>51461816

the wifi didn't work because you didnt have the fucking wifi files/drivers to install when installing your linux distro
i went through the same shit

its kinda a bitch to set up but once you get it all done linux is great

if you ever plan on programming with VS or C# or ASP.NET or any other MS stuff, then just fucking stick with windows

it doesnt fucking matter

just start fucking programming, asshole
>>
>>51461816
>stuff that never happened
Ubuntu not supporting hardware? Dont make me laugh, i have NEVER seen Ubuntu not supporting any hardware right out of the box (except shit like GPUs which you cant expect it to). If you're using Ubuntu there's no way in hell it doesn't support your laptop's WiFi card. Or maybe you use a laptop from Xing Xong
>>
>>51465389
This
Its highly unlikely for Ubuntu not to support hardware right out of the box.
Are you sure OP you're not using some obscure wifi card?
>>
>>51461816
>Ubuntu shits itself

Every time m8,
>>
>>51465498
>Ubuntu shits itself
literally never happens irl
>>
>>51465074
>> <70 IQ Tbqh
>>
>>51465389

Tons of hardware not supported by Linux or not fully supported.

For example linksys ae2500 wireless dongle, extremely popular but lacks a non-windows driver.

The fault is on the companies that don't supply a driver ofcourse.
>>
File: Anon-kun.png (91 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Anon-kun.png
91 KB, 800x600
>>51465389
This is pretty shitty b8.
1.Why would you buy another laptop instead of just reinstalling an OS?

2. Linux Mint and Ubuntu literally have the one of best driver support of any Linux distro, so wifi problems rarely arise

3. Even if there were problems, why the fuck weren't you on the forums (you clearly had acces to the internet at the time cause you were trolling /g/)? Ubuntu has the best forums out of all Linux distros, there should have benn an answer or at least a similar situation there.

Honestly, programming is to complicated for you, but if you want to do it on windows, look at the MinGW suite and Cygwin (basically Linux on Windows). You're gonna fail but it's worth a shot.
>>
>>51465625
the fault is on you for
a) trying to use a wireless dongle (literally no reason)
b) buying a wireless dongle that doesn't support linux
>>
>>51461816
nice copypasta
>>
>>51461816
Hey Kiddo. Stop crying and get a MAC. Try using linux when you grow up.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.