[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which Ethernet is the best for me? I get 50mb download speeds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: EthernetCableBlue2.jpg (3 MB, 4928x3264) Image search: [Google]
EthernetCableBlue2.jpg
3 MB, 4928x3264
Which Ethernet is the best for me? I get 50mb download speeds (shit-tier, I know.) Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6e?

Also, any tips for better WiFi strength?
>>
>>51454439
5e is more than enough for 50 mbps
>>
Have you tried googling both your problems?

I'm willing to bet there's tens of website that will answer both your question, since it's not a niche topic
>>
>>51454439
>Also, any tips for better WiFi strength?
Remove all concrete walls from your house, you'll get a much better signal.
>>
>>51454439
Cat5e is good up to 1gbps and work is being done to bring the spec up to 2Gbps without any hardware changes.

Only bother with Cat6 if you are doing long drops or want to make sure your setup is ready for 10gbps.
>>
The Audiophile approach meets muh shitty anime downlaods.

/g has become a shit hole, thx 2 da Millenial faggot.
>>
>>51454439
Why would you even consider older spec shit like Cat5?
To save $2? S.m.h. f.a.m.
>>
>>51454537
and here you are shitposting on an anime dating website doing nothing about it
>>
>>51454566
To be fair, the actual difference between CAT5e and CAT6 is fairly minimal, and for in-home use, CAT5e is more than adequate.
>>
>>51454617
But why?
Even if you'll need Cat6 or Cat7 5 years from now.
It's literally $2.
>>
>>51454485
That's a good idea. I hope my landlord doesn't mind.
>>
>>51454696
depends entirely on the house. Difference for my house would have been ~$200.

I went with CAT6e anyway because I didn't give a fuck. But I can understand why someone would opt for CAT5e if it is saving them money.

In all honesty I will likely not even live in this house by the time CAT6e bandwidth is needed.
>>
>>51454439
wire cat6 for internetwork gigabit
>>
>>51454753
>Difference for my house would have been ~$200.

Well if you live in a castle $200 isn't much I guess..
>>
>>51454796
Well I wasn't doing the inter-floor drops. It's a pain in the ass to do yourself.

If you want to do it yourself the difference in the actual cable would probably be closer to $50 depending how much you're installing.

It's not a particularly large house, it's just 3 stories and doing drops between floors adds to the total cost.
>>
>>51454617
Thicker cores
Pairs separated by insulator to reduce crosstalk
Better cable guide inside connector

Yeah, no difference at all.
>>
>>51454846
>no difference at all

>>51454617
>the actual difference is fairly minimal

Oh okay
>>
>>51454439
Always choose the best. Especially if you have a network of several devices.
>>
>>51454439
Whatever is the cheapest. Cat6 cables are sometimes cheaper than 5e.

5e is good enough for gigabit No need to chuck a cable unless it's broken.

6 deals with 10gig, well I've run 10gig on short pieces of cat5 but wouldn't recommend it.

Shielded cables are like tinfoil hats, unless you are certain you need them.
>>
Gigabit is obsolete.
Do yourself a favor and get at least Cat 6. You'll thank me later.
>>
>>51455068
They are actually trying to up the CAT5e spec up to ~2.5gbps using existing hardware.

That would make CAT5e more than fine for any residential setting for the next decade.
>>
>>51454439

Cover your house in tinfoil so other people don't steal your Wifi
>>
>>51455175
Except every fucking SSD would still be bottlenecked by it.
>>
File: fuck you.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
fuck you.gif
2 MB, 400x400
I still use some random 10meter cat5 I got off ebay literally over 10 years ago for about 2,50€ including shipping

who gives a shit
h
o

g
i
never mind go fuck yourself
>>
>>51455208
>bottlenecked
>network can't be that fast with anything else
Goddamn, SSDfucks are so braindead.
>>
>>51455208
M.2 SSDs and other PCI-E SSDs are the obvious choice to combat that.

They already get ~2Gbps
>>
>>51455333
>>51455340
>I don't understand what bottlenecked means

Also pretty much every SSD gets more than 2Gbps.
>>
>>51454439
>Which Ethernet is the best for me? I get 50mb download speeds (shit-tier, I know.) Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6e?
For those speeds it does not matter.

Try changing positions, check which bands are heavily used near you and change to one with the least interference, upgrade your wireless hardware.
>>
>>51454439
Cat5e is good enough for 1GbE
Cat6(e) is for 10GbE, but 10GbE over twisted pair is shit.
The transceivers are hot, expensive, and have extra latency due to the complexity of the error correction required for those bit rates without shielded wire pairs.

Enterprise tends to use direct-attach copper cables (<5m shielded twinax) for intra-rack connections and fiber for anything longer, since there's less need to worry about using existing UTP cables in conduits, etc.

I would love to see polymer multi-mode fiber become the standard for consumer 10GbE, since the cables are cheaper than Cat6/7 and can be terminated by non-professionals unlike glass.
>>
>>51454439
>50mb
>shit tier
Wow
I get 10mb no cap for $120. I heard from someone in another state that they got 1mb down with a 30gb cap for $100.
Guess where I live.
>>
>>51454733
>landlord
Lmao how does it feel to be a poorfag living on other peoples property you won't ever own.
>>
>>51455340
nigga literally every ssd gets more than 2 Gbps, they are all bottlenecked by SATA which is 6 Gbps
>>
>>51454439
Use powerline networking to create multiple access points throughout your house if you don't have ethernet ports in every room. You certainly do not need cat6 or higher. Cat5e is even overkill but at least readily available.
>>
>>51458442
I know. I'm 21 and don't own my own home yet. I need to reevaluate life.
>>
>>51458442
better than living with your parents desu senpai
>>
>>51454439
cat6e because it doesn't exist.
>>
>>51454439
Get Cat6 cables. Future-proof.
Fuck Cat7, it doesn't even have standard connectors.

Run a Wi-Fi scanner in your house/flat.
Any smartphone with the right application can do it.
Look at what Wi-Fi channels are used by the surrouding networks, and setup your own network with the least used channel.
>>
>>51459323
>Get Cat6 cables. Future-proof.

topkek.
10GBASE-T is a hot fucking mess, and is will be impossible to do 40+GbE on Cat6 no matter how much wattage and silicon you throw at Gallager Code transceivers etc.

UTP's already in a state of living death, and nobody wants to face that fact yet.
twinax isn't too far behind, and that can really only manage a couple of meters anyway.

somebody needs to develop cheap, idiot-proof fiber termination technology.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.