[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UBUNTU DIDNT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET MINT WON'T CONNECT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
UBUNTU DIDNT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET

MINT WON'T CONNECT TO THE INTERNET

WTF is this? I thought Linux was supposedly user friendly and on its way out of the ghetto. Instead you have to go through five million Google results to fix any problem and you can't find any solution because of the fragmentation and the fact that the typical Linux user thinks that typing an essay in to the command line filled with commands that were impossible to know a priori is easy as pie
>>
Turn your wifi switch on in windows and never turn it off again.
>>
>>51444576
>that dumb frogposter from /g/ with a broadcom wifi card
>>
>frogposter

>too dumb to install wifi drivers

yep, sounds about right
>>
>>51444576
this, ladies and gentlemen, is yet another example of the intelligence of a frogposter.
>>
>>51444759

How? I go to driver manager and see nothing.

I've done sudo apt-get update and upgrade a tonne of times. fuck knows what they do though
>>
What laptop model? and wireless card if you know. ndiswrapper.
>>
>>51444804
Find you wifi card model.
Find a compatible linux driver for that card model.
Install it.
Have you literally never owned a computer?
>>
>wifi doesn't work
>better install a whole new distro!
are you retarded?
>>
>>51444804
install firmware-b43-installer retard
>>
File: msc11.jpg (145 KB, 850x1303) Image search: [Google]
msc11.jpg
145 KB, 850x1303
>>51444576
>I thought Linux was supposedly user friendly and on its way out of the ghetto.
Source to that please
>>
>>51444576
dumb frogposter
>>
>>51444759
I didn't need drivers even for external usb adapters for linux

windows on the other hand I have had to install drivers to get the wifi working
>>
>>51444576

If you're talking about wireless, it's a known problem for almost all distros and it took me 3 days to get that shit working on a laptop I used to own. Broadcom is shit. The drivers are there, it's just a fucking pain to find them.

If you're talking about LAN, get a different distro because if an OS cant even connect to the Internet on a LAN port out of the box then it doesnt have its shit together and needs to GTFO.
>>
>buy a laptop that comes with a retarded wlan card from a retarded manufacturer that's too inept to write proper drivers for it
>complain about Linux on /g/
It's the same story as with proprietary drivers for GPUs.
It's not Linux's fault, it's the manufacturer's fault.

There is tons of hardware that comes with proprietary binary-blob drivers that's properly supported because they were written properly (intel's wifi chips for example).
Yours just isn't, stop buying shit hardware.
>>
If you're on wifi I guess try netctl

install wifi-menu, dialog and wpa-supplicant

run wifi-menu and setup a profile, then start it with netctl start

>>51444912
this, I always have to manually download the drivers on a different PC by hardware ID in device manager, then install that manually with my hardware on windows. Never had a probelm with drivers on linux.
>>
>>51444576
>and on its way out of the ghetto
what?
>>
>>51444903
Ubuntu's website, probably.
>>
Also, try FN + F5 or whatever your shitty laptop uses for turning wifi on or off.
>>
File: msc29.jpg (461 KB, 1200x1680) Image search: [Google]
msc29.jpg
461 KB, 1200x1680
>>51444976
groze

OSX is the most user friendly. Any linux distro is the least. Windows is a nice balance between those two.

common knowledge to be honest
>>
>linux
>user friendly
top kek m9 i r8 it nein/nein
>>
Go to additional hardware and you should see the wifi card there select the driver click apply reboot.... Profit?
>>
>>51444991
Linux is the most user-friendly in that it has the least errors after the first successful boot-up.
>>
>>51444943
>Yours just isn't, stop buying shit hardware.
You REALLY hate normal people, don't you? With that attitude Linux will never be popular.
>>
>>51445049
That is a non issue

If you actually want to make most Linux distros more functional than any other works-ootb OS it requires a hell of a lot of work on the users end, and that's pretty much the only reason to use a distro in the first place if you're not a sysadmin or similar.
>>
>>51445062
I AM the normal people you dumbass.

If you want to run Windows, you don't buy a mac.
If you want to run OS X, you don't buy a prebuilt shitbox from HP, Dell, Compaq or whatever.

Then why the fuck when someone wants to apply the same fucking rule to Linux it's suddenly HURRRRR autism DURRRR toxic community "lelele It's you guys that are mean and not me being a drooling retard"

If you want to run Linux, see what hardware supports it.
high-end dell laptops for example ship with ubuntu LTS, meaning they work under Linux just fine.
>>
>>51445134
literally this

it's the same as running a hackintosh, you don't just use any computer. Linux made drivers are very common and very "one size fits all" so it's easy to find a laptop that will work, but you still need to.
>>
>>51444991
Windows is the least user-friendly, stop spreading memes dunkass

if you really loved Mac OS you would recognize GNU/Linux as an equal for being another unix-like OS
>>
>>51445276
I'm an arch linux user, guy. I don't like OSX at all, but the DE is far better and setup for easy of use than any Linux distro ootb.

>windows
>not user friendly
So you don't know how to use your computer then. Lol
>>
>>51445289
>So you don't know how to use your computer then. Lol
Not him, but I'd have to argue with you on that.
Windows seems user friendly because it's omnipresent, and everyone who's ever worked with a computer was forced to use it at least once, therefore had to learn how to use it.
>>
>>51444576
linux and new hardware are often disagreeable together, but you're problem was probably a simple fix like going into hardware manager and installing the nonfree wifi driver. shit's not always newbie friendly if you think having to use google is hard, but if you can remember shit you know how to fix it if it ever comes up again
>>
>>51445210
>you don't use just any computer
Linux can be run on anything, how do you think people are able to make beowulf clusters of crazy shit?
>>
>>51445460
So now you think that Linux magically inspects the hardware and generates it's own drivers for it?

Jesus christ /g/ is dead
>>
>BAWW BAWWW BAWWW FUCK ACTUALLY FINDING MY PROBLEM IM GONNA COMPLAIN ON /g/ WHICH ISNT A SUPPORT BOARD
Paid Microsoft troll detected.
>>
>>51445473
>implying most drivers aren't generic and work with most anything until a new arch for that device type comes out
>>
>>51445473
>implying I implied said implications
I simply said Linux can be run on anything. I don't see why you think I implied that.
>>
Did you click the "try again" button on Firefox when the internet didn't load? Because if you did, you've basically exhausted your options. It's time to go to the local news.
>>
come on OP, did you fix it?

probably too embarrassed when you found it out you just had it switched off.
>>
>>51444732
Is this a frequent problem with broadcom? I have the same problem and am getting an Intel card soon.
>>
Is your wifi chipset even supported? You should probably find out before attempting to install linux.
>>
Works fine on my machine tbqh senpai
>>
lspci | grep -i wireless
>>
>>51446864
>Is this a frequent problem with broadcom?
Yes
>>
>>51445289
>I'm an arch linux user
massive kek
>>
Just werks on my machine
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.