[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old Router Performance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: cat-story-wrt54gl.png (193 KB, 648x416) Image search: [Google]
cat-story-wrt54gl.png
193 KB, 648x416
I'm trying to figure out if my WRT54G is limiting my gaming performance.

I'm using it to directly connect to my PS4 to play Destiny (not wifi)

Using DDWRT
>>
>>51437247
10/100 or gigabit?
>>
Aren't these things only 100mbit? If so, then yes, that's probably it
>>
>>51437260
Just looked on the front and noticed it's actually a WRT54GS.

http://www.cnet.com/products/linksys-wrt54gs-wireless-g-broadband-router/specs/
>>
>>51437247
your 546 is still running?

my dad finally replaced his like 2 years ago, and his wasnt even running ddwrt.

it just slowly became shit, not sure why, maybe it has something to do with the routers throughput.
>>
>>51437247
The thing has shit ram, shit CPU, and shit rom.
Doesn't help that Linksys halved the ram and rom in the later revisions.

Just get a cheap TP-link, slap DD-WRT on that and have a heck of a lot more performance.

TL-WR1043ND is N, gigabit and less than 60bux on newegg.
>>
>>51437397
>>51437328
>>51437284
>>51437260

Say if I just wanted to get speed for the least amount of money... couldn't I just get a switch and say fuck you to wifi?
>>
>>51437466
Jes
>>
>>51437466
yea tottaly if you don't care about wifi

i think a gigabit switch/hub is cheaper than a gigabit router

which would give you a gb of bandwidth in the house, in theory preventing destiny from throttling
>>
>>51437500
one more thing, my modem is located on the first floor and i'm using a powerline LAD adapter to get it to the top floor (where it meets the WRT54GS).

Do power line adapters fuck up the signal too?

I'm using the Powerline AV500 by Netgear
>>
>>51437519
LAN adapter*
>>
>>51437519
>Do power line adapters fuck up the signal too?

yes/no mostly yes

depends on the wiring of the house, plus i highly doubt those provide enough performance for "gaming"

i've heard main line interference is a bitch and they drop packets like crazy

but i've never actually used one
>>
Currently >>51437519
If your cabling is Shit in your house, stuff like the washing machine or an electric oven can and will fuck up PowerLine adapters. A 5Ghz wifi bridge would be way more reliable if your house isn't 5meter thick concrete
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.