[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>install osx >close button doens't close >immediately
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 23
>install osx
>close button doens't close
>immediately uninstall
>>
>>51423760
I'm sorry you can't deal with something being different and not exactly like the OS you came from
>>
>>51423760
What? So basically like Android, it keeps it running as a background process till you forcibly kill the process?

HAHAHAHAHA
>>
Click the "close" button on a window and it closes the window. What were you expecting?
>>
>>51423760
you INSTALLED osx? lol, wtf
>>
>>51423786
android didn't have close button you cum breath
>>
>>51423786
Windows and applications are not the same thing. You can close all an applications windows without closing the application. How does this not make perfect sense?
>>
>>51423804
That's what minimizing should be for
>>
>>51423795
for the program to exit like it does on every other operating system in existence
>>
>>51423804
Exampled where this is a benefit (vs. the stupid way MS Windows does it):
- if I'm downloading a file with a web browser, I won't inadvertently kill the download by closing all the windows
- if I want to listen to music with a media player, I won't kill the music by closing the all unneeded windows
- I won't inadvertently fuck up syncing operations (e.g. with an email client) by closing a window
>>
>>51423760
>enter thread
>OP's being a faggot again
>tell OP to kill himself

Kill yourself.
>>
>>51423848
Just minimize it
>>
>>51423848
so, what's the point of having a minimize button then?
>>
>install Windows
>click close button
>program is put into the system tray and an annoying message pops up
so much better
>>
>>51423848
there are plenty of windows applications that keep running in the background even when all the windows are closed

airdroid and nvidia gaymeworks off the top of my head

also
>being so retarded that you accidentally close your music player
>>
>>51423760
Dont forget that the maximize/fullscreen button doesnt switch things to fullscree
>>
>>51423818
No you don't understand, applefags want those programs running while they're not using them. lmfao
>>
>install Windows
>close window button kills the program
>immediately uninstall
>>
>>51423835
>>51423818
Other OS's do it wrong.

Let's say I tell my web browser to start downloading a file. I'm done with whatever website I'm on and close the window. If that happened to be the last window on other OS's it'd kill the download, although there's no connection between closing a web page I'm looking at and the totally unrelated file that's being downloaded by the same application.

This sort of things happens to me all the time when I use Windows at work (mostly use a Mac). Applications unexpectedly close when I never asked them to, just because I happened to close the 'wrong' window.
>>
>tfw seeing people reposting your new epic meme
>>
>>51423848
- if I'm downloading a file with a web browser, I won't inadvertently kill the download by closing all the windows
Any modern browser asks if you want to cancel the download when you do this.
- if I want to listen to music with a media player, I won't kill the music by closing the all unneeded windows
This sounds a lot like user error.
- I won't inadvertently fuck up syncing operations (e.g. with an email client) by closing a window
Many applications run on the taskbar even after the window is closed.
>>
>>51423877
Sometimes you want to close a window, sometimes you want to hide a window until you want to bring it back with the same content displayed in that window as before. How fucking stupid are you?
>>
>>51423877
Because you may want to preserve a window but get it out of the way temporarily (although I've never used the minimize button on a Mac). But if you're done with a window, you should be able to close it and not have any ambiguity about what you're doing (on Windows that may or may not kill the application, which is absolutely pants-on-head retarded design).
>>
>>51423907
Actually it does now, and it's a huge step backwards (and part of a worrying trend of Apple dumbing-down OSX)
>>
File: laughing-women.jpg (2 MB, 5370x3580) Image search: [Google]
laughing-women.jpg
2 MB, 5370x3580
>>51423928
>Many applications run on the taskbar even after the window is closed.
So Windows programs now imitate the superior OS X behavior. Good.
>>
>>51423925
Any sane web browser will warn you that a file is still downloading
>>
At least it's consistent. On Windows you have no idea what's going to happen if you click that close button.
>>
>>51423804
because most graphical programs only have a graphical interface and aren't meant to be a daemon
>>
>click 7 times before a program stops bouncing and actually opens
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 500x629) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 500x629
>>51423760
>presses buttons when he could be using hotkeys
>claims that something is shit when it's just his ignorance
>>
>>51423925
This guy gets it. I was updating Firefox on Windows and looking at the download progress in the About window.
Since I was just updating and not browsing, I closed the last browser window, leaving only the About menu.
But that fucking quit Firefox… And it's the same way for most programs. It's retarded.
>>
File: 1423485181433.jpg (25 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1423485181433.jpg
25 KB, 400x386
>Windows needs a separate place to put background programs running (the system tray) because Windows users are too dumb to understand the difference between application and visible windows
>>
>>51423925
>Other OS's do it wrong.
The opposite is true.
>>
>macfags are confused by what buttons do and need the OS to correct their stupidity for them
>>
>>51423987
Up until like a year ago none of the major browsers did that.
>>
>>51423928
So how are throwing up pop-up warnings (that, again, aren't related to my simple request to close the current window), or introducing an additional and unnecessary and inconsistent UI paradigm like 'system-tray-ing' apps, better design?

If you understand that applications spawn windows but aren't their windows the way OSX does it makes perfect sense, and couldn't be more simple or predictable in operation.
>>
>>51424057
OSX literally does the same thing

with the fucking launcher and having two icons, one for the shortcut, then a new one that appears when you launch it
>>
>>51424066
firefox has literally done it for years
>>
>>51424079
>having two icons, one for the shortcut, then a new one that appears when you launch it
Nope.
>>
>>51424121
its what my girlfriends mac does every time she launches like chrome

shes running mavricks

glad to see you can finally resize a window by dragging any corner now, slowly but surly its making advances.
>>
>>51424079
>one for the shortcut, then a new one that appears when you launch it
u wot
>>
File: systray.png (22 KB, 245x237) Image search: [Google]
systray.png
22 KB, 245x237
>install windows
>close button doesn't close
>immediately uninstall
>>
>>51423995
Even for apps with no 'background' functionality it doesn't make sense to kill them just because all their windows are closed (unless that app consists of nothing but that one window).

Let's say I'm editing a bunch of documents in MS Office (as I often am). I'm jumping between Word and Excel, creating/opening/closing different docs, copying and pasting between them. I'm not keeping track of how many docs exactly I have open because why the fuck should I. If I happen to close the last e.g. Word doc on Windows *POOF* Word will disappear unexpectedly, whereas on a Mac it won't (I'd still be able to open up a doc or create a new one as ever without interruption to my workflow).
>>
>>51424047
>>51423925
The "close" button closes the program.... well shit. Obviously wrong.
>>
>>51423938
I think you are a retard.
>>
You can quit any program with CMD + Q, op
>>
>>51423986
I think it's been the case since window 95 and before.
>>
>>51424047
When using Windows I have to remind myself to leave 'life raft' windows open that I don't actually want open, just to keep the application from seppuku.

The shit people put up with to save a few bucks...
>>
>>51424151
Are you seriously too stupid to reopen word? I don't see how this is any different from OSX.
>>
>>51424180
Lol why would you do that ever.
When you are done with a program, just kill it, wtf would you leave it open.
>>
>>51424151
Tu invalidas lenkas eik nx cbb bydlo nu nx blt krv
>>
>>51424180
>The shit people put up with to save a few bucks...
Windows have always been for people that don't give a fuck about their computing. Look at all the shit Windows 10 brings: botnet, forced OS upgrades, forced drivers updates (sometimes buggy as fuck drivers)...

Example: I upgraded a Windows 8.1 machine to 10 and it installed fucking Candy Crush automatically.
>>
>>51423890
Only some like Chrome, Skype, and Steam do that. Almost every other program doesn't.
>>
>>51424267
>I upgraded a Windows 8.1 machine to 10 and it installed fucking Candy Crush automatically.
Yeah, there's a word for that, PEBKAC, look it up.

>botnet
I don't have that
>forced OS upgrades
I don't have that
>forced drivers updates
Still don't have that.
>>
>>51424151
Are you really too stupid to use Word? Why would you close the document instead of the program if you're about to open another?
>>
I click the 'close' button on a window to... close the window.

I click 'quit' in the application menu to... quit the application.

Find a flaw.
>>
>>51424147
It looks like you installed malware.
>>
>>51424365
There's none. Windows users actually think window = program. They lack any basic computer knowledge besides opening regedit.exe or gpedit.msc to try to disable the botnet.
>>
>>51424398
Yeah, Windows.
>>
>>51424365
only homOSeX works like this

dumb overpriced OS for sheeple
>>
>>51424364
?

I close a document because I'm done with the document. That doesn't mean I'm done with the application.
>>
>>51424159
I know that you're a retard.
>>
>>51423760
>being this technologically frail.
>>
>>51424427
So only OSX has it right.

Other OS's conflate the application and its windows in unpredictable ways, because their UIs lack a way to handle window-less running applications (or swap them into a secondary UI like a system tray, although that's a mis-use of what's meant to be a place for system status utilities to live, not regular applications).
>>
If you don't like the way it works, then just go use Windows. It's not objectively worse, It's just a different way of doing it
>>
>>51424075
>that, again, aren't related to my simple request to close the current window
Well closing the window will cancel the download, and the pop up warning is warning you of that, so it is quite related.
>better design
You're attacking a point I was never defending. "Better design" comes down to personal preference from our perspective (from a business perspective it has its' own set of criteria)
>introducing an additional and unnecessary and inconsistent UI paradigm like 'system-tray-ing' apps,
Unnecessary how? I use the "system tray-ed" applications quite often to start or stop syncing (because I have shitty internet, and competing for bandwidth I cannot condone,) starting/stopping a stat tracking application, and ejecting removable drives (not that there aren't better options on linux, but we're talking windows here.)
> inconsistent UI paradigm
Not on windows it's not.
>>
I am a winfag all my life and I don't like and buy apple shit myself, but the matter discussed in this topic is retarted. The distinction between an application AND its window is really clear to me, can be justified, and I could get used to it in 2 days.
>>
Closing the window should always terminate the process unless the process is a daemon.
Fite me.
>>
>>51424583
>retarted
Yep, definitely Windows user.
>>
>>51424640
Only retards fite retards
>>
>>51424576
>Well closing the window will cancel the download, and the pop up warning is warning you of that, so it is quite related.
It's only related because the shitty Windows UI says if I want to do this one thing (close a window) it will do this totally unrelated thing (cancel this download) because reasons.
>Not on windows it's not.
of course it's inconsistent, since the behaviour of the 'close' button changed depending on whether there are more than one window open (and others may be out of view to the user).
>>
>>51424756
hmm actually...

Every developer out there NOWS that a CLOSE event is sent to your program, when a user clicks the "close" button in the title bar.

This event is here to let you know that the use has requested the application to terminate. IF, has a dev, your soft still has active things running, like a download or a sync, and you allow the application to terminate nevertheless, you are just a bad developer, that's all, as it is trivial to say "Nope, i'm not going to terminate"

It's like "Making soft for your OS 101", literally the second thing you learn after how to open a window.

OK, so the close button defaults to a "Hide window" event, and Windows default to a "Close program" event. I think both are valid, but as a Windows users I prefer the second option.
I think it's done that way in Windows so users won't forget they have a ton of applications running in the background because they don't see the windows.
Whatever the default is, as a developer, you still have FULL control of what can be done.

tl;dr: Don't blame the OS when it's the third party developers that are just shit.
>>
File: 1447294027395.gif (2 MB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1447294027395.gif
2 MB, 540x540
>>51424046
hundred times this
>>
>>51423760
>OP closes a refrigerator
>expects it to vanish completely
>>
>>51423760
It does close, it doesn't quit.
>>
>>51424365
>>51424440
>>51424541
>>51423928
Enjoy your memory / sheduler bloat
>>
>>51423835
>Situation: Program has 5 windows open
>- you close X button on window 1 - program doesn't exit
>- you close X button on window 2 - program doesn't exit
>- you close X button on window 3 - program doesn't exit
>- you close X button on window 4 - program doesn't exit
>- you close X button on window 5 - NOW ITS DIFFERENT GUISE THIS IS THE WINDOW THAT SHOULD KILL THE PROGRAM IMMEDIATELY!
>>
>>51424556
Eh its pretty much objectively worse when you could minimize something.
>>
>>51423981
what the hell else would a maximize button do anyway?
>>
>>51424320
>closing last window exits the application
>closing last window doesn't exit the application
>closing last window makes a popup asking if you want to exit the application
Both ways have their good and bad sides and there's some logic behind both
but every OS should for fucks sake just pick one and stick with it
>>
File: 1411009396097.png (56 KB, 260x263) Image search: [Google]
1411009396097.png
56 KB, 260x263
>close app on windows
>have to go in task manager and end process to actually close the app
thank you Microsoft
>>
>>51425737
>the program has no window anymore, but should stay open and take up resources just because
okayy
>>
>kids used to their shitphones that never closes anything and gets ultrabloat expecting to have everything running in the background
You goddamn Dumbest Generation shitfucks.
>>
File: 1446060120985.gif (119 KB, 320x600) Image search: [Google]
1446060120985.gif
119 KB, 320x600
>>51423796
Get out.
>>
>>51425811
>>51425810
>>
>>51424640
>Closing the window should always terminate the process

>open folder
>close folder window
>explorer.exe terminates
>windows restarts
>thanx mr anon
>>
>>51425837
Kill your self.
>>
>>51425870
The desktop is a folder, too
You are retarded
>>
>>51423928
Um it's the programmer's job to appropriately choose to minimize to the control tray or to close the program. Programs like Skype, Chrome, F@H, Discord, SS Engine all have the option of minimizing to control tray. And that's an OPTION, which means if you want to close them, you can.
>>
>>51425796
it did the correct thing in previous versions of OSX - it maximized the window so all contents were displayed, but the window didn't fit the screen if there was no need for it to do so. Why waste screen space?
It's basically the same way how maximize button works on images in photoshop
>>
>>51423779
/thread
>>
>>51425901
but a folder is a folder too.
So when I close it, explorer should terminate, because close window = quit application, right?
>>
>>51425909
ok, how should I click the close button on skype so it quits?
>inb4 you should change it in program settings
many programs don't have this setting, just minimize to tray and then you have to right click to close them
>>
>>51423760
Close button just close the window
>>
>>51425919
a.) consistency. "make this window the size of the screen" is simple and effective regardless of what kind of window it is or what the contents are, and works even if the OS has no idea how to deal with the contents.
b.) that screen space is wasted anyway, since it's just some clippings around the edge of a window. Why not fill the screen with the window so you can concentrate on the one application you just gave the "make this thing bigger" command to?
>>
>>51423760
The close window button closes the window as intended
>>
>>51425949
maybe you could try to press command Q
pro tips: it works with every program
>>
>>51425949
Then blame the devs, not Windows.
>>
>>51425949
command + Q
>>
>>51424427

is this not how Unity in Ubanto works?
>>
>>51425979
you're kinda right with a, but in my experience it always knew how to deal with contents
as for B - I often wanted to make the window fill entire screen when I had a 14" CRT.
On 24-32" it rarely happens, only for "serious" applications (photoshop, after effects, stuff like that) - and on that kind of programs, the maximize buttons always made the program fill the screen, as the contents were basically infinite in size (even just the interface was big enough to fill entire screen).
So:
- for big applications that don't leave much room for multitasking - filling the entire screen works great and is the preferred method
- when opening a browser window, or a folder with 10 files in it - why would I want that? I want my browser to match the height of my screen, but not the width. And I want my folder windows to be just big enough that I don't have to scroll.
>>
>>51423760
close window =/= close program
>>
>>51426000
>>51426032
I'm asking how to do it on windows. On OSX close/quit behavior is consistent.
>>
>use elementary os
No way to minimize without installing tweaks and configurations.
>>
>>51425810
This happened SO MUCH when windows 10 first came out
>>
>>51423938
What in the hell is the difference between minimizing a program and having a little indicator show up at the bottom vs closing the window entirely and having the program still running. Why would you ever "close" the window when you can minimize it and do the EXACT same thing while having easier access to the instance of the program.
>>
>>51425998
this.
If it was meant to quit the program, it would be named "quit button"
>>
>>51425939
>folder
>not understanding file systems

Directory.
>>
>>51426127
>wait for a big program to open
>Open 8gb file
>do things
>save

>minimize window
>8gb file still takes memory

>close window
>memory free

>quit program
>have to wait again for the program to load when opening another document

personally I prefer the second option
>>
>>51424138
This is a problem with Chrome, it'll do the same thing on Windows sometimes.
>>
>>51426109
alt - f4
>>
>>51426161
makes some programs minimize to tray
>>
>>51426179
That's down to the programmers discretion then.
At least it gives the programmer choice, even though it can piss off the user.
>>
>>51426179
Cmd+w kills some programs as well
>>
>>51423890
This is a per program thing. There is no standard. Sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it doesn't.
>>
>>51426254
rare, but yes cmd+w can kill the program

OS X gives programmers choice too - the programmers just like things to make sense so they follow the standard.
>>
>>51426150
>close window
>memory free
Lol.
Memory usage magically disappear to space, and come back when you reopen the window.
Sure.
>>
File: fuggy hill.png (62 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
fuggy hill.png
62 KB, 1191x670
>>51423928
> Not using meme arrows
opinion discarded
>>
>>51426088
>I often wanted to make the window fill entire screen when I had a 14" CRT.
>On 24-32" it rarely happens
I always thought the better solution on large, modern screens was some kind of automatic tiling. e.g. how Win7 and some Linux WMs will size the window to half your screen when dragging it to an edge.
>>
>>51423848
/thread

These retards literally wait for their Editors to load every time they close a project and open another one
>>
whats wrong clicking this u autistic fucktard
>>
>>51426395
I thought so too, until I tried it and it is only annoying, always triggers when I don't want it
>>
>>51424654
retard
it's the process of turning from a strawberry tart to a blueberry tart.
>>
>>51423801
>cum breath

Nice
>>
>>51426819

You don't seem to understand.

>close button
>doesn't close

Even if there's a couple of ways around it, the idea that the close button doesn't close (unlike every other OS out there) is just retarded. I guess it sums them up the idea behind OS X very accurately.
>>
>>51423760
the stereotype is true:

windows users are really dumb
>>
>open fridge
>close fridge
>fridge turns off
Microsoft Logic
>>
>>51427361

>I compute in the same way I eat

No wonder your OS is bloated.
>>
>>51427361
more like
>open fridge
>lights turn on
>close fridge
>lights still on wasting resources
am i right, guys
>>
>>51427498
lol, that was pretty good
>>
>>51427358

Says the faggot that actually needs his OS to assume that he's too clumsy/dumb to close programs accidentally. That's the equivalent of using a training wheels.
>>
i just got use to going to - menu bar - application name - quit or cmd + q.

to be honest the red button not being the quit button is annoying, because i... well when i want to click it, its because i want to exit out of the software. if i want it running in the background but out of sight, i'll just minimize.

i can see a few occasions where its default mac behavior is useful, but most of the time, its as useless as the green button being a fullscreen button instead of maximize window button.
>>
>>51427601
>missing the point completely
>>
>>51427716
just use the keyboard nigga

its more faster pressing cmd+q or cmd+h than pointing with the mouse and click it
>>
File: kek republic.jpg (26 KB, 233x188) Image search: [Google]
kek republic.jpg
26 KB, 233x188
>>51423925
>Applications unexpectedly close
>when I close the window
>>
>>51427772
>implying
>>
>>51427814
>Downloading something in firefox
>Close window
>Program quits
>Download stops

>Downloading something in qbittorrent
>Close window
>Program continues running in background
>Download finishes

Literally no reason for this should be an issue. It's 2015.
>>
File: johnoliverheader.jpg (56 KB, 640x365) Image search: [Google]
johnoliverheader.jpg
56 KB, 640x365
>>51425724
worrying about memory in >2015
>>
>>51425919
This was so fucking brilliant. I wish I could turn it back to that by default: I have absolutely zero use for full-screen kiosk mode.
>>
>>51431618
It's not much, but if you hold Alt/Option when you click the maximize button, it behaves the way it used to.
>>
>>51431637
I know, but I wish I could swap the behaviour. Figured someone would come out with a tweak, but last I looked non existed.
>>
>>51431691
yeah agreed. it's a shame
>>
>>51423865
That's inefficient
>>
>>51430774
retard, you exclusively download shit with qbittorrent. when I want to keep firefox running I just minimize = mac "closing". or close, if I want to

less choice and dumbing down = good
-macfags always
>>
>>51433276
>Point out inconsistency in windows
>Get called a macfag
I own exactly 0 apple products and I don't plan to change this any time soon. And please do tell how having a logical window management button is dumbing down and removing choice.
>>
>cmd-q kills foreground application
>right next to cmd-w, and cmd-a (both commonly used)
>>
>>51433531
>global cmd-q rebind application costs money
>>
>>51433375
>implying that all inconsistencies are bad
>>
>2015
>still cant cmd-tab to minimized windows
>>
File: 1429177114622.jpg (12 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
1429177114622.jpg
12 KB, 258x245
>APPLETARDS
>>
>>51426112
>use elementary os

That's your first problem, anon.
>>
>Running an application in fullscreen spawns a new desktop
>No way to bind keyboard shortcut to fullscreen desktops
>>
>file manager cannot display hidden files without running a shell command
>file manager has no obvious way to go to parent directory (requires keyboard shortcut)
>file manager has no obvious reference to the root of a user's home directory by default
>>
>>51433576
>>
>>51433625
fullscreen desktops are not numbered and as such cannot have keyboard shortcuts bound to them. Directional switching is the closest you can get which is complete shit. I never use directional switching when I can just hit cmd-<number>
>>
>>51433375
well I'm him and I didn't mean to do that but if you like anything about mac os over windows you're automatically a macfag tbqhfam

you're forced to minimize, you don't have any choice. having a minimize+close button, is
>>
>>51433175
just hit the other button retard, there are two for a reason
>>
>install shower curtain
>small drops of water still get on floor
>immediately uninstall
>>
>>51424320
>Skype
this program is why I have no hope for humanity
>>
>>51433592
>>file manager cannot display hidden files without running a shell command

This really is obnoxious / broken on OSX (and I'm a big OSX defender generally).
>>
>>51423925
OR YOU COULD JUST I DONT KNOW

MINIMIZE THE FUCKING WINDOW
>>
>>51435926
>start to download a large file (who knows how long it will take)
>do something else, forget the file was downloading
>close the current browser window since I'm done with it
>download cancels

They should doing one thing ever do something completely different (because of some arbitrary rule about how many windows I have open).
>>
File: are you.png (83 KB, 1269x621) Image search: [Google]
are you.png
83 KB, 1269x621
>>51435953
>>
>>51435976
Why should I be presented with this false, unnecessary choice? Why pester the user with this at all?

I want to close the window. I don't want to cancel the download. Why is this an impossible combination?
>>
>>51435994
It isn't. It's called mimizing the fucking window or not being an idiot and remembering that you're downloading something like any other slightly functional human being would do.

Christ.
>>
>>51433639
>not using hot corners
It's not 1981 anymore. You have a mouse. Use it.
>>
>>51436015
>hotcorners
>mouse
spotted the literal cancer.
>>
>Install Windows
>can't search menu items
>immediately uninstall
>>
>>51436176
This and being able to live-search preferences are such a pleasure.
>>
Rig = Windows
Laptop = Macbook Pro
Server = Ubuntu
Phone = Android

This is the correct stack. Right OS for the right job. I used to hate MacFags but got given a MBP in 2011 - it's still going strong. Really decent build quality and OSX is great once you get used to it.
>>
>>51436826
Rig: hackintosh (I have some HighDPI displays and OS X scales better than other desktop OSes)
Laptop: rMBP (teleport lets me treat the hackintosh displays like an extended desktop; synergy would work the same way across OS X, Windows, and Linux if you want to go for the same thing)
Server: CentOS machines at university, various configurations between Heroku, AWS, & Azure. Thank internships at various places (like MSR) for the mashup of various cloud resources :(
Phone: iOS

I agree with you though; right OS for the job. I just happen to use OS X on my desktop because I pretty adamantly wanted consistency with my laptop; otherwise it'd probably be a linux distribution
>>
>>51436826
>server
>ubuntu

>right os for the right job
>debian + shit on top
kek
>>
>>51436826
this
>>
>>51436913
That's fine, I've only recently started playing around with a homeserver and using vps instead of shared hosting etc. It's basically idiot proof and I'm still learning.. I still stand by MBP for best laptop though (if you can afford it) for the build quality if nothing else.
>>
>>51424085
>>51424066
Not only had Firefox since that for years, if you close the Firefox window while downloading it won't stop downloading. Which might be the same technique as what Apple does, but at least this way is sensible.
>>
>>51437012
Sensible is good, but consistent is better. People can learn to expect Y instead of X over time. If some things do X and some do Y, that's fucking maddening.
>>
>>51431601
Yea, tech literate people do care. That's why our tech runs better than yours. ;^)
>>
>>51436891
Sounds like quite a nice setup. Plus side of using different configs on the different servers is broader understanding I guess.. I use g-apps for business for my workflow, so everything plays nicely despite being different platforms, and drive for storage..

>inb4 hurrdurr big brother

There's nothing really sensitive apart from some passwords etc, which are kept in encrypted containers.
>>
>>51423760
It closes the app store, you're wrong OP.
>>
>>51437097
Because the App Store only ever has one window.
>>
>>51436826
This is 100% correct.
>>
>>51437086
>>inb4 hurrdurr big brother
No need, I get it. Both my undergrad and grad universities use Google Apps. I'm not about to go full autist on them.

I really like my setup. Like if my place burned down and I got a few thousand dollars to rebuild, I would essentially build the same setup (maybe update a few components, but I wouldn't give up on a hackintosh setup, using a desktop to extend the laptop, etc...).

The most substantial benefit of teleport and this hackintosh setup is that I have a pair of 24" 4k monitors that I'm controlling from my rMBP without my laptop struggling to drive at all. And when I plug in at the end of the day, it's just the ethernet adapter and magsafe cable (I could drop ethernet for WiFi, but I'd get some latency I'm not keen on adding). It's as close to "wirelessly connected displays" as I think I'll get in this decade (certainly at the resolution I'm talking about).
>>
>>51437110
Not him, but so does VLC and that doesn't behave the same way.

Apple codes its programs to clean up nicely, but a lot of other programs (even the ones that intuitively should behave more cleverly) work pretty much like multi-window programs (they seem to persist even if you close the one and only window).

I happen to be of the opinion that this isn't a big deal at all, but it's worth acknowledging/being honest.
>>
>>51423760
Seriously? What does the minimize button do?
>>
>>51437185
what does it sound like?
>>
>>51423760
Dear OP,

Did you ever stop to ask yourself,
> Why do I need to close this app?

Can you even think of an answer?

I hope I just expanded your mind. God bless.
>>
>>51437211
Then what does the close button do?
>>
>>51437222
Closes the window?
>>
>>51437158
That sounds decent. I think I'll def be getting another MBP in the future, so might have to investigate. Only reason for running Windows on the desktop is games tbqh.. A few bits of software I use a couple of times a week, also, but can just as easily run those virtualised.
>>
>>51437222
Close closes the window, or it should, not all apps do this, it doesn't have to close the whole app, it should if there's only one window.
>>
>>51437238
Ah, could've sworn OP just said that close didn't close the windows.
>>
>>51437245
If you want to try the "extended cursor and mouse over network" setup, Synergy is the best (maybe only?) really cross-platform program I've seen for this. Teleport lets you do things like mouse gestures from a MBP to a hackintosh (so you could do expose and whatnot), and bi-directional control (so your desktop can control your laptop, and your laptop can control your desktop) - whereas Synergy seems just to send over the most basic mouse movements, clicks, and keystrokes, and control has to be defined in one direction - but I used it for a while without too much incident before I went back to teleport.

Once I set it up so that I could control everything from my laptop's mouse and keyboard, it really felt like a seamless experience, and all these monitors really make it easy to get engrossed in whatever you're doing (be it lurking 4chan, reading web pages, coding, etc...)
>>
>>51437285
He's upset closing a window doesn't close the application (why should it?)
>>
>>51437248
Ah, thanks. I can't remember the last time I used an Apple/Mac (not that I have anything against them), and couldn't remember running into this problem. Wasn't sure if it was a new thing or something
>>
>>51423925
>close button closes the window
>It's not meant to close REEEEE

Are you that dumb?
>>
>>51423760
>being winbabby
>>
>>51436220
You can do it from the spotlight.
>>
>>51433592
>file manager cannot display hidden files without running a shell command
You can navigate to a hidden folder by pressing Shift+Cmd+g and writing the name of the folder. You can also use tab-autocomplete.
>file manager has no obvious way to go to parent directory (requires keyboard shortcut)
Holding the right mouse button on the titlebar gives you this. It works for many other applications too. You won't ever know this exists if you don't experiment or if nobody tells you how to do it and it's not as handy as a button, but it's there.
>file manager has no obvious reference to the root of a user's home directory by default
What?
>>
>>
>>51423760
Really? Out of everything wrong with OS X, this is what you choose to complain about? Just learn to cmd-Q, it's not hard.
>>
>>51437051
only retards manage their memory manually like we're in DOS era
>>
>>51437540
>>
>>51437514
Another response to this is that OS X allows you to run a dotfiles setup script. I don't know of any popular, easily customizable, text-based setups like that for Windows (the whole idea is native to Linux though).

I appreciate being able to configure things through a graphical user interface, but knowing how I like my setup well enough to configure a dotfile, it's a nice thing to be able to do.
>>
>>51436826
>>51436937
>>51437113
samefag tbch
>>
>>51423760

Lol @ Mackeks

Macs are shit, you learned your lesson.
>>
>>51437248
>it should if there's only one window.
Why? I don't want apps to close when I close the windows, because if I need them again I don't want them to do the whole start up process again. Photoshop takes about 30 seconds to be usable, I don't want to wait 30 seconds every time I close its window and open it up again.
>just minimize it
Why? The dock is there to tell me that the app is open, and if I need a new window I just have to click on its icon.
>>
>>51436007
How far on the autism scale are you?
>watching movie in browser
>don't want to watch anymore, click close
>"your file download will be cancelled"
Good job windows kek, now you have movie playing in background or you have to go through the bother of pausing/changing webpage
>>
>>51437567
Nah. tbqh I was surprised myself. expecting far more of the sarcastic greentext style replies.. First time I've been accused of samefagging tho, so cheers I guess?
>>
>>51437307
also, macman, I just bought that synergy app.. messing around with it now. cheers for the headsup!
>>
File: thumbsup.jpg (30 KB, 474x595) Image search: [Google]
thumbsup.jpg
30 KB, 474x595
>>51436826
Rig/HTPC/Media Server: Windows
Laptop: rMPB
Phone: Android
>>
>>51423913
underrated post
>>
>>51438193
oh fuck I should've mentioned that it's (at least supposed to be) free, but they really shadily make it seem like you have to pay to get it. I honestly couldn't even find it on their site (despite a tucked away link saying "free download" on the bottom) and had to torrent it myself.

Anyway, as long as you're happy, that's good, and I guess anything to support the developer is a good thing in the end.
>>
>>51427551
this desu senpai
>>
>>51437514
>You can navigate to a hidden folder by pressing Shift+Cmd+g
wtf?
>>
>>51436826
Rigs: Mac Mini / Windows
Laptop: MBP
Server: Debian
Phone: Android
I have the same generation mbp, good taste anon. Put an SSD in there and everything loads instantly.
>>
>>51436826
>rig: windows 10
>laptop: windows 10
>server: windows server
>phone: windows phone
you freetards disgust me with your ugly software
>>
File: hore hore 3.gif (1 MB, 640x403) Image search: [Google]
hore hore 3.gif
1 MB, 640x403
>>51423760
Holy shit OP I am so fucking triggered and baited right now HNNNNNNNNNG
Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.