[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /g/'s alternative to Skype, for video calls?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: No-Skype-295x300.png (53 KB, 295x300) Image search: [Google]
No-Skype-295x300.png
53 KB, 295x300
What's /g/'s alternative to Skype, for video calls?

And why the fuck is there a constant noise in Skype calls's audio? Even when all the mics are muted, there's still noise! WTF?
>>
>>51420596
>And why the fuck is there a constant noise in Skype calls's audio? Even when all the mics are muted, there's still noise! WTF?
that's the NSA using sonar to track your movements
>>
Probably your hardware, skype causes no such issues with me.
>>
>>51420705
>Probably your hardware

The noise is there even when the mics muted. What don't you understand? And lots of people have this problem, no one knows why.
>>
>>51420625
Not quite, the noise is for other devices to pick up so the NSA can link the devices as being in the same place.
>>
I'm using Skype until Discord fixes their audio problems. Once Discord adds better audio system and video chat then Skype will be rekt
>>
>>51420596

just use Discord like anyone else with a brain
>>
>>51420949
Another anon here, I don't have noise issue.
Have you checked your audio inputs like line in, mics, proper drivers installed and having a grounded electric install at home?
Software can't create noise like you describe, it is a hardware issue.
>>
>>51421086
OP here. I've switched to Discord since the sound is muuuuch cleaner and has better features, with the exception of video calls. Are video calls in the pipeline?

>>51421099
Using it man.

>>51421150
Dude, I said I have the noise even with the microphones mutes, like, muted in software, in the Skype application itself and on Windows. It's impossible for hardware noise to go through, but it's still there and quite annoying.
>>
Can you share your screen with Discord?
>>
>>51421247
I'm also hoping that feature gets implemented.
>>
>>51421086
>filename
>>
>>51420596
> 2015
> using skype or any microsoft product

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data
>>
Damn back in the day when Skype first came out, it had crystal clear audio compared to everything else. MS ruins everything they touch.
>>
>>51420949
It's an ambient audio loop that is overlayed onto all calls to improve "perceived" quality.

Kind of like how Snyder thought grain "improved" the look of Man of Steel (it didn't)
>>
Never heard of Discord. How does it compare to the alternatives on privacy ?
>>
>>51420596
Tox. Don’t fall for le ebin it leaks your IP maymay.

>>51421099
>>51421086
Least functional shit I’ve ever used.

>9 captchas
Whoever leads Google deserves euthanasia.
>>
>>51421578
>It's an ambient audio loop that is overlayed onto all calls to improve "perceived" quality.
I was afraid it was some shit like that... sigh... Fuck Microsoft.

>>51421680
Does Tox already support voice and video calls?
>>
>>51421597
It's not open source and it relies on external servers, so I guess it's as private as Skype.
>>
Jitsi !!
Free and OpenSource

You can isntall your own server for web Conf
>>
Oovoo
>>
FaceTime. U mad bro?
>>
>>51421099

Just tried Discord. Works better for group calls than skype for group calls. Thanks for recommending
>>
For my money, not having any friends or acquaintances is the best alternative of choice.
>>
>>51421237
>muted in software, skype and on windows
It's the jack dude.. Check your speakers
>>
>>51424751
Not sure if just trolling or stupid.
>>
>>51420596
Tox

https://tox.chat/
>>
>>51425122
Does Tox already support voice and video calls?
>>
>>51425140
>already

it has supported them pretty much since the beginning
>>
>>51425156
Why is no one using Tox then? Isn't it better than Discord and open source?
>>
>>51425140
Video call are still shit, but for everything else it's pretty descent.
>>
>>51425180
No one is using it because no one is using it.

Also what's Discord? Wikipedia doesn't have an entry on it. It seems even more obscure than Tox.
>>
>>51425214
https://discordapp.com/

Relatively new, but I've seen it recommended here on /g/ a few times. It still doesn't support video calls though.
>>
>>51425239
It's not even encrypted. Might as well use NSASkype.
/g/ is retarded.
>>
>>51425271
Can I do group audio/video calls?
>>
Been using Skype for video and messaging for years, never heard the noise. It's your shitty pc idiot. Uninstall gentoo
>>
>>51425344
>microphone is muted on software
>there's still noise

>It's your shitty pc

How tech illiterate can you be?
>>
>>51425064
Same here
>>
>>51425532
Are you the same anon?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.