[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Ride Never Ends
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8
File: rms.jpg (51 KB, 403x447) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
51 KB, 403x447
>Privacy advocates are warning federal authorities of a new threat that uses inaudible, high-frequency sounds to surreptitiously track a person's online behavior across a range of devices, including phones, TVs, tablets, and computers.

>The ultrasonic pitches are embedded into TV commercials or are played when a user encounters an ad displayed in a computer browser. While the sound can't be heard by the human ear, nearby tablets and smartphones can detect it. When they do, browser cookies can now pair a single user to multiple devices and keep track of what TV commercials the person sees, how long the person watches the ads, and whether the person acts on the ads by doing a Web search or buying a product.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/11/ads_surreptitio.html
>>
>>51409550
Owning a TV. Not using ad-blocker.

You fucking wat m8
>>
File: THE_RIDE_NEVER_ENDS.jpg (231 KB, 863x752) Image search: [Google]
THE_RIDE_NEVER_ENDS.jpg
231 KB, 863x752
Wrong pic op
>>
>not using headphones
>>
>watching TV
>not using an adblocker

what year is it again?
>>
>>51409550
Take out the internal mic and use the headphone jack.
>>
>>51409550
>Browser cookies can now pair a single user to multiple devices.
SO MY PHONE AUTOMATICALLY RESPONDS TO HIGH PITCH NOICE MY COMPUTER MAKES?

WHAT THE HELL WHY
>>
>>51409550
>owning a smartphone
>owning a TV
>not using adblock
It's still pretty scary desu
>>
>>51409772
Because idiots install adware on their phones.
>>
>>51409748

This. A million times, this. If you care about your privacy you shouldn't be carrying around a vulnerable, networked microphone. It only takes a second to plug in a headset microphone.
>>
File: capitalism1414011942717s.jpg (18 KB, 250x114) Image search: [Google]
capitalism1414011942717s.jpg
18 KB, 250x114
>>51409772
IS THIS NOT EXACTLY WHAT YOU ASKED FOR
>>
>>51409791
I dont have nothing but default stock Google Rom in my Nexus 5. Guess I'm safe.
>>
>>51409550
>You were in the presence of a commercial.
>This is somehow valuable information.
Who the fuck runs these ad agencies and why do they continue to have employment?
>>
>>51409858
>google
I have some bad news for you, anon.
>>
>>51409858
>Google software
>not spyware
>>
>>51409858
>Google
>safe
>>
>>51409877
Oh I know they read through my e-mail, contacts, text messages etc. but what the fuck can I do? Every phone OS is fucking monitored to all hell and back and sent to GCHQ, PRISM, and to NSA.

>>51409884
>>
>>51409863
Have you been living under a rock?
Advertisement companies want as much information about their targets as they can get their hands on. They always find a way to use it.
>>
File: 1438226472861.jpg (35 KB, 680x643) Image search: [Google]
1438226472861.jpg
35 KB, 680x643
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/11/beware-of-ads-that-use-inaudible-sound-to-link-your-phone-tv-tablet-and-pc/
>The ultrasonic pitches are embedded into TV commercials or are played when a user encounters an ad displayed in a computer browser. While the sound can't be heard by the human ear, nearby tablets and smartphones can detect it. When they do, browser cookies can now pair a single user to multiple devices and keep track of what TV commercials the person sees, how long the person watches the ads, and whether the person acts on the ads by doing a Web search or buying a product.
>Compared to probabilistic tracking through browser fingerprinting, the use of audio beacons is a more accurate way to track users across devices...The audio beacon enables companies like SilverPush to know which ads the user saw, how long the user watched the ad before changing the channel, which kind of smart devices the individual uses, along with other information that adds to the profile of each user that is linked across devices.
>The only factor that hinders the receipt of an audio beacon by a device is distance and there is no way for the user to opt-out of this form of cross-device tracking. SilverPush’s company policy is to not "divulge the names of the apps the technology is embedded," meaning that users have no knowledge of which apps are using this technology and no way to opt-out of this practice. As of April of 2015, SilverPush’s software is used by 67 apps and the company monitors 18 million smartphones.
the tinfoil is real
>>
File: 1446895741442.jpg (39 KB, 490x306) Image search: [Google]
1446895741442.jpg
39 KB, 490x306
>>51409854
>>51409854
>>
>>51409829
Also, remove bluetooth card and any hardware which requires nonfree firmware to function. Consider buying a libreboot laptop or flashing your own to supported motherboards.
>>
>>51409915
What could they possibly gain from this?My opinion of the advertised product isn't expressed in any way.Literally zero useful info is collected, it only means my device picked up some background noise.
>>
Thank god most phones have shit for battery life, otherwise this would be a real possibility.

The government can't build a healthcare exchange, I'll be surprised to find out they managed to build an audio listener that doesn't drain your battery in 20 minutes.
>>
>>51409945
>using android

Lol, this shit is impossible to pull of on Windows Phone. Feels good that it's such a smooth dumb OS compared to all your "smartyness" :^)
>>
>>51409945
>having a phone
>having a tablet
>having a tv
>not blocking all ads and known tracking servers via hosts at router level

it's like you aren't a gentooman at all
>>
i just want a fucking phone OS that at least TRIES to respect user privacy and fucking human rights

so that rules out
anything Windows
anything Apple
anything Google

do I need to fucking get SYMBIAN?
>>
>>51410012
see
>>51409945
>Compared to probabilistic tracking through browser fingerprinting, the use of audio beacons is a more accurate way to track users across devices
>When they do, browser cookies can now pair a single user to multiple devices and keep track of what TV commercials the person sees, how long the person watches the ads, and whether the person acts on the ads by doing a Web search or buying a product.
>AND WHETHER THE PERSON ACTS ON THE ADS BY DOING A WEB SEARCH OR BUYING A PRODUCT
Call me tinfag all you want, but if you don't think this is leading up to some perverse next level mind control shit then I fear for you, senpai.
>>
>>51410102
Yeah, saw that after posting. I use an os monitor and keep an eye on everything through cat log, but this shits getting ridiculous. I mean, it's becoming actual work just to keep up with these creeps and their spying. Might be time to ditch the phone.
>>
>>51410100
Maybe Sailfish? I've only heard of it so I can't commebt on the specifics of it.
>>
>>51409668
>>51409717
>>51409737
>>51409748
>>51409789
>>51409829
>>51410010
>>51410041
All this cognitive dissonance. SMHTBHFAM
I got news for you, google and facebook are also tracking you whether you have an account or not.
>it's not going to happen to me, so why should I care?
>it's not going to happen to me
>>
>>51410100
>>
>>51410217
DOesn't Ubuntu sell your data to fucking amazon or some shit sorry not ubuntu pro so IDK just read posts here and there
>>
>>51410217
If only the hardware wasn't so shit.
>>
File: sickos.png (40 KB, 152x254) Image search: [Google]
sickos.png
40 KB, 152x254
>>51410229
the joke is that this piece of turd might be the least intrusive device left in the market.

the dark future is already here, fellas. there's no escaping the big brother and his big merchant friend.
>>
>>51410217
The Meizu MX4 Ubuntu Edition

is this any good

i'm fucking tired of google shitting on my human rights 24/7 just because they can

fuck them
>>
>>51410229
Ubuntu sells your data to Bing and Google as much as they sell your data to Amazon - they don't.
>>
>>51410286
>thinks privacy is a right

top kek
>>
>>51410031
>The government can't build a healthcare exchange
>he fell for the meme
Maybe Google Health™ is a better option?
>>
I develop tracking systems like that for a living. there's big fucking money in the affiliate marketing industry. If you knew what I knew you would shit your pants, that's how fucked it is right now, and it's gonna get a lot worse.
>>
>>51410313
>thinks privacy is not a human right
haha lamo FUCK YOU
>>
>>51410313
It used to be, son.
>>
>>51410313
>thinks privacy is a wrong

top kop
>>
>>51410313
>thinks the right to be left alone is a privilege
go back to google faggot
>>
bullshit

what conventional speakers emit sound that is outside of the realm of human hearing?

more importantly. higher frequencies are more directional.

this sounds fucking dumb.
>>
>>51410313
>sniggering_cunts.jpg
>>
>>51410367
It's Stallman's freetard propaganda, what did you expect?
>>
>>51410367
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/156197/can-computer-speakers-emit-ultrasound
First hit on google
>>
>>51410213
>implying I don't block that shit
Well google probably has my 4chan posts logged somewhere, but neither company should have an extensive portfolio on me.
>>
>>51410388
ᵀʰᶦˢ ᵖᵒˢᵗ ʷᵃˢ ˢᵖᵒᶰˢᵒʳᵉᵈ ᵇʸ ᴹᶦᶜʳᵒˢᵒᶠᵗ'ˢ ᵂᶦᶰᵈᵒʷˢ 10™
>>
>>51410367
22KHz is well outside of human hearing and still doable by speakers and normal DACs.
>>
>>51410349
Never said that
>>51410359
It is a privilege. The while social contract is based on you giving up shit up like some happiness so the government can provide you with security and people achieve an over all happiness if the entire people.privacy is something that can clearly be taken away because muh terrorism.It not in the bill of rights
>>
>>51410581
The government is completely unable to sift through all the shit they log in a reasonable pace. There is no security gained. Fuck off.
>>
>>51410581
>paid indian microsoft shill
w e w
>>
>>51410581
UN's decloration of human rights (which is a short version of the council of Europe's human rights) - they both recognize right to privacy as human right.

so fuck you and fuck your corporate capitalism brainwashed fucking 00er gooba gibblo mind.

Do everyone a favor and kill yourself.
>>
>>51410581
>broken engrish
>"it is not in the bill of rights" rhetoric
>doesn't realize that the bill of rights/constitution are interpreted documents
go back to your designated shitting street
>>
>>51410612
USA does not give a shit the UN is all a ploy to make euroshits fall in line by following a guideline while America ignores it
>>
>they embed alpha waves into television
>subliminals in advertisments
>radar target offline pcs
>now ultrasound to know what you're doing via open mics

if they don't stop with this shit one of these days I might just lose the plot and embed subliminals into everything that can be edited so that people just fucking riot or something.

ww3 when? hurry up.
>>
>>51410628
To bad the supreme Court has yet to interpret it as such,and thus making it not a right at this current moment
>>
>>51410667
france was a potential haven for privacy. shaky extradition process, not giving a flying fuck about pressures outside of france itself, etc.

and then the fucking bombing happened.

it all started with 9/11. arabs are eroding away our rights almost as much as the governments are.
>>
>>51410727
GPS tracking without warrant was ruled unconstitutional, so it's not entirely without precedence. hopefully it'll grow from there.
>>
>>51410764
Removing the rights of civil and regular people does not stop terrorists.

Why do people think making majority of population suffer because you scrub the floor with their human and civil rights (like mass surveillance THAT FAILS TO GET TERRORISTS) would help to get terrorirsts

Where is the logic
>>
Glad Apple went full anti-advertising recently. It was fun to laugh at this kind of shit when it was still a crude drawing on a patent application but now that its apparently in the wild running on -current- hardware makes me very scared.
>>
>>51410837
>>51410217
It's incredibly sad that iOS and Ubuntu are the least invasive consumer device OSes.

I hate this future.
>>
>>51410913
Blame the patriot act and fearmongering and people legit thinking corporate capitalism is/was good idea.
>>
>>51410913
Yeah but on the bright side both of those exist in the first place. Glad I weened myself off of Windows a few years back. Wish Google wasn't so nosey though. My 2013 Moto X was probably my favorite phone of all time so far but everything about it was just so intrusive.
>>
>>51410764
I remember a video that Osama released shortly after those attacks saying that he/they will use our own culture and government against us. Lo and behold, they are doing exactly that
>>
New fag here, who is that?
>>
>>51413957
richard dreyfuss
>>
File: i_want_the_truth.png (149 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
i_want_the_truth.png
149 KB, 300x300
>>51410333
What do you know?
>>
>>51413957
linyos torvaldos, creator of the hacking system known as lunix. also known by his hacker name "rm *"
>>
This sounds fake as shit.
Ars loves to propagandize lab proof-of-concepts and real world shit. See the hack that can capture all keyboard clicks (including wired) and badBIOS (which they reference in the article).
Clickbait based off spurious rumor.
>>
>>51414148
>propagandize lab proof-of-concepts and real world shit
I meant to say AS real world. Meaning they make it seem as though it is useful outside with shitloads of interference.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.