[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I work as an I.T tech in a school and make around 40k per year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: yo.jpg (27 KB, 405x720) Image search: [Google]
yo.jpg
27 KB, 405x720
I work as an I.T tech in a school and make around 40k per year (only work 30 hours per week). The job has great perks, such as 10 paid weeks off per year and flexible start/finish times.

But I want to earn more but I'm not sure where to go from here. I have a simple networking cert and no interest in programming.

What does /g/ reccommend?
>>
>>51397306
Learn networking, VOIP and virtualization. Once you have those down you'll be in a good place to move on and up.
>>
>>51397501
What kind of jobs/positions would I be looking at with those skills?
>>
>working your ass off just to become a slightly higher paid wage slave than you already are
>>
>>51397940
What do you do, anon?
>>
>>51397954
Software engineer
>>
>>51398403

IT has absolutely nothing to do with software engineering. They're two separate beasts that both just happen to use computers. Most you'll use in IT is Bash, Powershell, and Ruby/Python depending on whether you're using Chef/Ansible/Puppet, etc.

I'd recommend you focus on your GitHub and things you'll need to get past HR. If you show me your GitHub and it's actually has some content on it, you'll be leagues ahead in the hiring process over someone who just tells me they know n language and can write a fizzbuzz program when asked to during the interview.
>>
CCNA + CCNP
>>
>>51397306
Get a CCNA, learn about VOIP and cloud services. My side job is running a virtual environment for a vet office. 10k a year and AWS runs me about 2k a year. 8k profit for maybe 3 hours a month of work.
>>
>>51398508
This intruiges me.

So CCNA really that highly credited? I could have sat the exam at the end of my cert but I wasn't confident enough, especially considering that it has a very high pass rate as well (i think?).

What areas of I.T specifically would I be especially qualified for with a CCNA under my belt?
>>
>>51398597
ccna isnt really highly regarded, its basically like having net+ for cisco stuff. you will still be a ticket jockey
>>
>>51398597
CCNA is the industry standard. CompTIA if you are fucking tard.

Most people fail CCNA first go, take ICND1 first then ICND2. It cost the same as doing CCNA all at once.

If you have to ask what areas of IT you would be proficient in this is either bait, or you certainly aren't ready to take the test.........
>>
>>51398616
You are a fucking retard, there is a reason why CISCO is the industry leader. If you have a CCNA you can pass a net+. If you have a net+, you cant pass a CCNA.
>>
>>51398619
Im just looking for some general direction.
And you're right, I'm probably not ready to take the test, especially since its been so long since ive done any real study.

Just looking for some pointers. Ill suss out ICND1 and ICND2.
>>
>>51398630
ccna is the first cert, it is nothing to brag about
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.