[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OPERATING SYSTEMS USED TO BE GOOD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: nokia-e7-1.jpg (78 KB, 600x575) Image search: [Google]
nokia-e7-1.jpg
78 KB, 600x575
Android and iOS are a step backwards. Palm OS and Symbian were way better but they lost out due to a false media campaign against them. People still fall for the same propaganda today.
>>
>>51396395
because
>muh apps
people use only web browser on their PCs and no other programs, but on a phone they expect a separate app for every website they visit.
Want a good mobile OS that still exists (but soon won't), buy a blackberry.
>>
File: os9_fm77l1.gif (7 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
os9_fm77l1.gif
7 KB, 640x400
Sure do miss OS-9.
>>
>>51396395
Isn't PALM just a mobile linux distro?
>>
>>51397491
hush you'll upset the hipsters
>>
>>51397518
>hipster.
I still have no idea what that even means
>>
>>51396395
>Symbian

Isn't that the name of the company that makes vibrating mountable sex toys for women?
>>
>>51396395
gingerbread to 4.2 were pretty danm good... the custom ROMs were at least.

everything before/after are atrocious and need to be killed with fire.
>>
>>51397550
Sybian, I think.
>>
>>51396395
>Palm
>Good
Which Palm? The stagnant, single-user garbage Palm peddled well past obsolescences and market viability? Or the K-mart brand Android knock-off they took 5 years to build for an audience of no one?

Because both sucked entirely different set of balls.
>>
>>51396395
>Android and iOS are a step backwards.

how so? android maybe, i havent coded on it but its essentially java and linux so it hardly progress.

but ios? its sweet as mate, best embedded programming environment i've ever used. swift is very very nice indeed, and getting better.
>>
File: Treo_650_TomTom_Navigator.jpg (764 KB, 1932x2580) Image search: [Google]
Treo_650_TomTom_Navigator.jpg
764 KB, 1932x2580
Never forget that our phones were doing offline navigation over 10 years ago.
>>
>>51396395
>Palm OS and Symbian were way better
I must agree with OP about PalmOS. Everything open in a second, the default calendar/note apps are super good.
>>
>>51398650
offline was the only way, mobile internet sucked.
Also, map accuracy and detail sucked big time then.
>>
File: propaganda.jpg (112 KB, 742x1130) Image search: [Google]
propaganda.jpg
112 KB, 742x1130
Someone should make new hardware with this software
>>
>>51397491
No, Palm OS was never based on Linux.
>>
>Symbian
>good
I bought a Nokia N8 in early 2011 and used it for three years. That phone had amazing hardware. I'd still be using it today if it wasn't for Symbian. I loved the form factor, the anodized monocoque aluminum chassis design, the AMOLED screen, and the battery life. It got great signal, phone calls sounded great, it always got instant GPS lock unless I was underground, it had a great camera, and the spring-loaded unlock switch was way better than the useless button used on other phones, which does exactly nothing to prevent accidental unlocks. Plus, it was completely indestructible. It survived years of mosh pits, mountain biking crashes, and general recklessness without any kind of protective case, and it was still in good shape when I got rid of it. It was beautiful, too.

I was sad to get replace it, but I had to get rid of Symbian, which is the worst operating system I've ever used by a wide margin. I would rather go back to using a dumb-phone than use Symbian. It offers the user no meaningful control of the operating system, and it's the buggiest OS I've ever used. Completely unusable.

Android has a lot of serious problems, including, in my opinion, some very fundamental design flaws, but it's nowhere near as bad as Symbian.
>>
>>51399229

I still use mine for mysic. It's the perfect music player with it's awsome DAC.
>>
>>51397819
>Or the K-mart brand Android knock-off they took 5 years to build for an audience of no one?
I'm curious about this, tell me more please.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.