[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me a few years ago >bought mom a old pentium 4 w/HT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: dell.jpg (108 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
dell.jpg
108 KB, 1024x768
>be me a few years ago
>bought mom a old pentium 4 w/HT & 1 GB RAM Dell. fairly decent since only spent $100
>tfw Win XP died

she's graduated from most bad habits old people have with tech and can stand an upgrade.

but she hates to throw anything away, and i hate clutter and useless shit not being used taking up space.

if i buy her a low-level win-10 laptop for ~$250, what should/could i do with the old machine? make some use of it? can i get any cash from it?
>>
Fill it with hard drives and have a low power storage server?
>>
>>51318614
only room for one HD
no extra connectors for extras without buying new main board... unless you know some trick i'm currently oblivious to
>>
>>51318614
>low power
>Pentium 4 with hyperthreading
Nope.

The uses for that the are dwindling rapidly. You could maybe throw an AGP GT210 in there and use it for XBMC (or whatever they're calling themselves these days) but even that is a bit of a stretch.>>51318614
>>
You fucking greedy jew, get her a propper computer, im not talking about a gaming pc but what about an x86 tablet?

Its your fucking mom faggot
>>
>>51318738
she and i are both poor
i bought her an GS3 and she's still trying to figure it out.
but why buy someone a corvette when they can't/won't drive over 30 mph?
>>
>>51318738
>x86 tablet
>Proper computer
Yeah, no, she's better off with the pentium the HP stream 13 he's likely to buy her will have over the lower clocked Atom.

Also, I'd like to point out that you misspelled the word proper.
>>
>>51318544
seedbox, linux server, donate it for a tax write off

I don't really like throwing out old gear if it's worth a shit (high-end/interesting hardware, cool design, etc) but these Dells were dime a dozen shitboxes that are all over the place.
>>
Chromebook anon

now im just shilling for bestbuy, but the /g/ rated second best chromebook, acer cb3 (acer chromebook 11 but better), second only to the C720 is going to be 100$ at bestbuy on black friday

then refurb the computer with 'buntu
>>
>>51318544
That thing could run just fine with any modern Linux Distro
Hell, it can run Window 7, if you add a gig of ram it would be responsive
>>
>>51320122
i'm the only /g/eek on /g/ who don't gentoo
i can't linux
and damn sure my mom can't either.
win-7 is dying as we speak.
i put win-10 on her this machine for the lulz.
but it didn't authenticate. but it runs 10.
>>
>>51320200
I've had one of these desktops before and they have great hardware for Linux.

You could take the opportunity to try to learn Linux by using the hardware as a testing and experimenting bed. You might find yourself using it more than your main PC if you like it.

Otherwise it'll probably just be collecting dust unless you want to pay for more Windows licenses.
>>
> $250

You say you want to get her a laptop, but your budget of $250 says that is a lie.

Get her a fucking ipad mini they're $200 at walmart, $300 if you get the new model, she'll never have issues to speak of.

Friend of mine got a HP Steam 11, in one day she got so much freaking spyware and ransomware, if i wanted to get my computer so pus infected I wouldn't know how to do it.

Old people know how to use ipads for some reason, you barely have to show them anything, set her up a icloud acccount and walk away. she'll be fine.
>>
>>51318806
Buy her a Thinkpad.
Thinkpad: Its More Than Just a Memeā„¢
>>
>>51320922
>thinkpad
>lets hope its just a dream
>i dont want to partake in this meme
>from the jews its just a scheme
>oh thinkpads make me steam
>because thinkpads melt steel beams

get your outdated trash laptops the fuck outa here
>>
Go on craigslist and get a core 2 duo
4 gb ram dedicated 32gb ssd for ramdisk 2 sata 120gb or lager disks in raid for os and tripple boot linux windows and mac os
>>
Wanting to keep the hottest, loudest Prescott Dell ever smothered in a clamshell alive FOR WHAT PURPOSE you greedy kike?
>>
>>51318544

buy 2012 mac mini for 500$
it'll be fine for many more years plus it's upgradable
>>
>>51320366
>start learning Linux
Or do something not retarded like join a gym
>>
>>51318544

Use it as an air-gapped home computer for storing your most sensitive stuff. Fresh HD with your distro of choice, and *never* plug it in to the net. Backups go in a safe deposit box.

Think about it, OP. It's incredible peace of mind to have something effectively immune to cryptolocker, or just another pathetic router backdoor. My wife came up with this idea for storing and viewing family photos.
>>
>>51318806
Buy her a cheap laptop and put a 240gb ssd in it.
>>
>>51322673
>raid
>for os

Get out.
>>
>>51318544
thinpad t420 instead of "low level win 10 laptop"
>>
>>51323498
Learn linux, get results immediately and have fun.

Join a gym, get results after months and months of hard work.

Or you could do both.
>>
it's literally worthless, the only value to be extracted from it is by some african at a tech dump.

People are ripping on the thinkpads but I reckon you'll get more for your $250 from a thinkpad than any other laptop.
>>
>>51318544
Linux/streambox, maybe homeserver.
>>
>>51321032
>2012-2013 technology is outdated
>>
>>51323972
this, you'll have a laptop that is a million time better for less money than any cheap laptop
>>
>>51318544
>Win XP died
>>51320200
>win-7 is dying as we speak

Microsoft wants you to actually believe that.

Protip: no OS is dead for as long as it's usable and people still use it. And I can assure you that hundreds of millions still use XP, let alone 7.
>>
>>51318654
You could put in a PCI SATA controller and try to mount a HDD caddy in there.
>>
from the picture I thought this was some sort of weird xbox 360 mod
>>
>>51325244
>And I can assure you that hundreds of millions still use XP, let alone 7.
Man if DirectX11 didn't only support the latest OS I'd have zero reason to upgrade past XP, let alone 7.
>>
>>51325323
I have an old SFF HP like this that takes a custom size power supply with proprietary connectors. My limitation is power connectors. It's a micro ATX board with a few low profile pci express ports and a pci port (16x, 1x, 1x, pci). To add more than three hard drives, I have to replace the case, motherboard, and powersupply. At that point, I may as well buy a new PC since those atom boards are pretty cheap and save a lot of power. I am currently using a splitter for power so I have 3 storage drives and an ODD.
>>
>>51319574
why the fuck would you put Ubuntu on a computer for an old lady when it already has Chrome OS
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.