[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Taking an USB stick out without warning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: grossebitedtc.jpg (64 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
grossebitedtc.jpg
64 KB, 800x800
Hey /g/, I was wondering if there was any reason for being extra careful with that nowadays, assuming moderately recent hw and putting aside stupid fs issues (Fsck fatass32!)

pic related, mine is the biggest
>>
>>51314358
there never was any reason to be careful
>>
>>51314358
Honestly who gives a shit? People who refuse to pull a USB stick out without a warning are the same people who refuse to touch the back of a CD/DVD, think a computer is destroyed if you don't use an ESD wrist strap when touching the components, or that you destroy the PSU if you disconnect a fan while the computer is running.
>>
>>51314629
ikr

There is no smoke without fire tho. Could there be an absolute leap moment when on which it is dangerous?
>>
>>51314358
>stupid fs issues
well if you copy a file over its possible that the copy is buffered, so it tells you its done but really its still writing
>>
>>51314671
ikr not that frightening tho
>>
No, the only device you should eject are external hard drives as they tend to buffer a lot while copying.
>>
>>51314655
It could break from you just looking at it. Anything could happen. Maybe you shouldn't disconnect it without warning if it contains the only copy you have of your PhD thesis, but then you're an idiot either way so why care?
>>
>>51314358
Developer here.
The only reason that people said you shouldn't do this is in case that something was writing to it and it could corrupt it.
The buffers may not have closed or flushed when you pulled it out, so it could leave a file corrupted.

Most of the time, this will never happen.
>>
>>51314358
>Corsair Survivor
I have an older one of these, and goddamn are they rugged. Good shit.

>>51314655
As far as pulling flash drives out, I just make sure the activity light isn't blinking before I pull it out and I've never had a problem.
The only "danger" is cutting the PC off in the middle of a filesystem action, and even then it'll likely just be that file that's corrupted.
>>
Jesus fucking Christ. It's called write cacheing. You're supposed to eject because an incomplete write to an inode/FAT can make the disk unreadable.
>>
>>51314358
Just don't pull the USB out when it's still writing.
>>
>>51314358
I've had Ubuntu corrupt drives when pulling after writing files even though the transfer appeared complete. I always eject now just as a precaution that I think is worth a few extra seconds.
>>
>>51314358
When you save a file or do some other write action, the operating system might not necessarily do it right at that moment, but schedule for later. Granted, "later" at most will be on the order of seconds, unless something is going horribly wrong. So try not to yank it as soon as your fingers leave the control and S keys.
>>
>>51319232
Don't do this. Just eject the drive before removing it. It's not hard or time consuming.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.