[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY LANGUAGES!? JESUS CHRIST. THIS IS THE ONLY
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_1.png (27 KB, 650x478) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
27 KB, 650x478
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY LANGUAGES!? JESUS CHRIST. THIS IS THE ONLY BARRIER DETERRING ME FROM LEARNING HOW TO CODE ANYTHING.

WTF? WHAT DO I DO!?
>>
>>51314079
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY TOOLS? I SHOULD BE ABLE TO BUILD A HOUSE WITH JUST A HAMMER!
>>
Figure out what you are going to program most often. Pick the "correct" language for the task. Branch out when you feel limited.
>>
Fun fact: you can learn one at a time. Also you don't need to learn them all.
>>
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY WORDS?! THIS IS THE ONLY BARRIER DETERRING ME FROM TALKING TO OTHERS!
>>
>>51314115
I've already learned html and css. Seems pointless with wordpress and squarespace shilling out the webdesigners.

What's next?
>>
>>51314138
>>51314093

Don't mock me. There must be a language that's the best. English > Caveman Speak, for example.
>>
>>51314079
>WTF? WHAT DO I DO!?
start with assembly
>>
>>51314169
>Don't mock me. There must be a language that's the best. English > Caveman Speak, for example.

Wait, so you claim there is a best

>tool
>language
>programming language

Please, get the fuck out
>>
>>51314169
>English > Caveman Speak, for example.
how do you figure?
>>
obviously you should start from the bottom. you want to learn a language? start with the alphabet.

you want to learn math? start with learning the numbers.

with programming, its the same thing. start with binary.

if you cant code a simple program like a random number generator using only binary, you probably dont have what it takes to be a programmer anyways
>>
>>51314093
Hammer is great tool for building house.
And I think it is free as part of Source SDK.
>>
Here's a secret to learning languages.

They all, in the end, have to do the same shit.

Take input, print stuff, read files, write to files,close files.

Learn one language really good and you will not be asking how to use one language, you will be asking how does java print instead
>>
>>51314314
FUCK! THANK YOU. I FINALLY GET IT!!
>>
>>51314169
> There must be a language that's the best.
What's best is relative to your comparison. Your example of 'Caveman < English' is completely arbitrary. English is much more descriptive and much harder to learn than say a few thousand grunts or grumbles that can effectively communicate every message. You'd just need a bit more creativity to equal the complex definitions of English words.
>>
>>51314187
>start with assembly
just not x86, tis a silly instruction set (pretty much made for compilers, not people)
do MIPS or something more straight forward
>>
>>51314093
>English > Caveman

Yes, but German > English and Turkish > German.
>>
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:List_of_languages
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY LANGUAGES? JESUS CHRIST.
THIS IS THE ONLY BARRIER DETERRING ME FROM LEARNING HOW TO COMMUNICATE.

WTF? WHAT DO I DO!?
>>
If you know one language, you most of them. Also, you only need Python, Java, C++, C#, PHP and JavaScript. They are pretty similar. Similar enough you don't have to learn too many new concepts. Nobody but some autists (and legacy codemonkeys) use Lisp, Haskell and the others.
>>
>>51314370
You learn English, the only language that's needed in modern society. It's common, efficient and doesn't consist of a fuckload of moonrunes.
>>
>>51314079
Ignore hipster languages
>>
>>51314079
Just decide the type of programmer that you want to be. Latex for example is for fucking mathematicians, stop being an idiot and just pick up c++, the rest depends on you
>>
>>51314370
what exactly are you trying to prove?
>>
>>51314079
C++ and Java/C#

all you need
>>
>>51314169
Yes, a hammer is better than a wrench for hammering stuff, I agree.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

FREEEDOOOOOM!!!!
>>
>>51314406
>PHP and Javascript
Dumbass

>haskell
>legacy code monkeys
Confirmed for retard
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.