[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Types of Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: distribution-linux.jpg (186 KB, 849x849) Image search: [Google]
distribution-linux.jpg
186 KB, 849x849
Hello /g/, I'll going to start using Linux, but I do not know what, can you help me?
>>
>>51314026
What are you using linux for? What do you want out of it?
>>
>>51314026
> not writing your own OS
fucking noob
>>
Pick from centOS, Fedora, Debian, openSUSE, slackware and gentoo. Read about each of them and see what suits your needs best.
>>
>>51314026
Try out a shitload of distros with different DEs. Try the buntus to start, maybe Mint and a few other easy to use distros. Once you find a DE you like install it on a distro you find easy to enjoy. Then when you get comfortable with using linux (particularly the CLI), try some other distros like Debian, Arch, OpenSUSE etc.

I pretty partial to XFCE with Debian, but its all person preference.
>>
>>51314130
Daily reminder that if you do write your OS it has to be in assembly or you are shit.
>>
Mint's nice
>>
>>51314126
ubuntu 15.10 + Gnome
>>
>>51314026
There's only three that matter - Fedora, Debian, and openSUSE. Everything else is either a derivative or hipster shit
>>
>>>/g/flt
>>
Go with Mint or *Ubuntu
>>
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux
>>
>>51314026
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/
>>
File: chicken is gonna die.jpg (16 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
chicken is gonna die.jpg
16 KB, 480x480
>>51314026
>using linux
fuck outta here
>>
>>51315124
>using ios
fuck outta here
>>
>>51315183
>ios
slow down there
>>
>>51314310
This desu senpai.
I am hesitant to even recommend Ubuntu to a beginner. Really, the Debian live CD is great and a lot of Ubuntu help and support applies to Debian (and most other distros, really) so you can't even use that argument.

Of course the not-a-retard test is to install Debian with the net install image and run testing. I'm hard just thinking about it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.