[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
“It just works”: 5% of Mac users at IBM call help desk, compared
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 9
File: Apple.jpg (43 KB, 874x1024) Image search: [Google]
Apple.jpg
43 KB, 874x1024
http://bgr.com/2015/10/15/mac-vs-pc-ibm/

>Making a strong case for the Mac in the enterprise, Previn touched on a few points, including the fact that while Macs may have a higher up-front cost, they ultimately help the company save money.

>Previn continued the Mac@IBM conversation by saying the the upfront cost of PCs is lower, but the residual value of Mac is higher. “A Mac still has value three or four years down the road,” he added. With the provisioning and automation practies used to manage Mac, IBM does not need to create images for all of their machines — saving their IT staff significant time.

>“Every Mac that we buy is making and saving IBM money,” Previn said.

>Over the long run, “the incremental purchase price of a Mac pays for itself several times over the life of the device,” one of Previn’s slides read.

>Speaking to the ease of use that the Mac is famous for, Previn said that just 5% of Mac users call the help desk, in stark contrast to the 40% of PC users who call the help desk.

>Driving the point home, Previn cited a Gartner statistic which says that the optimal ratio of IT workers to employees is 1:70. At IBM, with respect to Mac users, that ratio is 1:5,400.

>“We just need a lot fewer people to support these machines,” Previn added.

Brb switching to Mac
>>
I tried to tell people this literally years ago. They all laughed at me. Now IBM is saving crazy money because their new computers have lower TCO. Who'da thunk?
>>
it's normal for pc users to have more calls when windows has like 90% of fucking market share.
>>
>>51308378
>40% of PC users
>5% of Mac users

Are you really this fucking dense?
>>
>>51308378

It's calls per capita, you mouthbreather.
>>
it's because the more experienced users go for OS X. it's a unix without the hassle of staying up till 3 in the morning compiling graphics drivers.
>>
>>51307767
>eating this much shit from your hands
>>
>>51308402

Or maybe it's because it's not a cobbled-together Frankenstein's monster of a product that went through dozens of completely separate committees in at least three completely different corporations like some kind of digital Human Centipede before being shat out onto the desks of IBM employees everywhere.
>>
>yfw you realize that this is due to the majority of workers using Macs at home, which is why they needed to call help desk about their PCs
>>
File: 1434155765474.jpg (50 KB, 389x366) Image search: [Google]
1434155765474.jpg
50 KB, 389x366
>>51307767
>IBM does not need to create images for all of their machines
>mfw IBM are creating images
How does a technology company manage to fuck up so badly? Maybe Macs are better for them - they're obviously not doing anything useful nor are they smart enough to leverage any kind of utility out of a machine that isn't a walled garden.
>>
>>51307767

The problem is, they never discuss the uses of theses PCs, versus what the Help Desk does or doesn't do.

For example. Faggot in regional media division of B2B for fucking east canada. Uses a combination of 8 different softwares to render videos/transport videos/transcode videos/compress videos/etc on a remote render farm in the building. One server, which got replaced last week, isn't doing work since it's host name/IP/however the rendering system identifies it is no longer the same for some reason. He calls the Help Desk. Does this count, since it'd be a Windows Server Server more than Likely?

For example. Faggot works as a on-site Repair Tech for IBM POSs in -blank- district. He basically uses his pre-setup Macbook Air and Verizon MiFi to email, do ticketing, or look up PDFs from a remotely connected source. Basically he needs Safari and Adobe Reader to do his job. 2 Programs. He never calls the help desk, but never would have with a PC either.

Like, if they could tell me: "Company-Wide, Help Desk calls for machines doing Media work have gone down XX% after switching to Macs" then I'd say fine, they obviously have great benefits. But this information is both vague and click-bait otherwise.

Also, Apple DID use POWER based processors at one point. I'd imagine IBM has a massive stake in Apple.
>>
>>51308477
get a load of this NEET
>>
To be fair, where I work, all the support staff are given an entry level Lenovo. Only managers are given mac Book shit. Managers are (typically) not retarded like a typical support rep, so the stats are probably cherry picked from a similar situation.

As another note, my management doesn't face the same technical problems because they don't have to set up 20+ VPNs in a VM running on their Laptps. Some VPN clients dont play nice with eachother.

All they do with them is generate Google Docs reports and take attendance and use the company IRC etc. There really isnt room for error.

tl;dr -- cherry picked stats from unfair situations.
>>
>>51307767
OFC. If there's a problem with it, they just buy a new one
>>
File: 1328420401063.jpg (55 KB, 340x310) Image search: [Google]
1328420401063.jpg
55 KB, 340x310
>>51308602
>Managers are (typically) not retarded
>>
>>51307767
From my experience working at support, the main need of support doesn't lie in using the operating system itself, but rather the special, retarded "only this appplication can do this job" programs.

Those kinds of programs that hasn't been properly developed since 2003 but nobody wants to change to a different one because of the costs required to train the staff.

These programs are usually Windows only. These programs break and generally suck, requiring support. Mac users are those who don't use these programs. They probably spend their time writing Word documents and shuffling papers. This is a job that can be done equally well on a Windows or a Mac, at the same user threshold.
>>
I work at IBM and we all use redhat on our thinkpads
PC != Windows
>>
>>51307767
Apple outsources some of its support to Xerox ACS. Wouldnt be surprised if it was the majority of its call centers. Also wouldn't be surprised if they collected the days from only Apple call centers while sweeping the Xerox stats under the rug.
>>
>>51307767
>Now IBM is saving crazy money because their new computers
IBM should keep this a secret. Now every Fortune 1000 is going to switch to Mac to catch-up with IBM.
>>
>>51309122

No, no, I like this. Microsoft has been fucking up for so long, so casual and cavalier, thinking that there's nothing anyone can do but continue to buy their products anyway, that I'd love to see Apple cannibalize a huge chunk of their favorite market.
>>
>>51307767
The other 95% go into the store.
>>
>work at IBM
>can't work with Windows
what kind of retards do they hire?
>>
>>51309188
Microsoft also makes MS Office BTW. I'm sure they'll find a way to remain relevant.
>>
>>51309188
they're starting to wake up though.
>>
>>51309229

Oh, I know they will. Nutella sees the writing on the wall, too, and that's why he's going all-in on Azure and Office 365 and OneDrive and shit like that. They're going SaaS because their OS is a dead-end street.

This will sting them, though. Some much-needed humiliation.
>>
>>
File: 1276873706225.png (510 KB, 856x1214) Image search: [Google]
1276873706225.png
510 KB, 856x1214
>>
>>51309207
Kek, if you used windows for anything more advanced than gaming in your basement or writing fizzbuzz in glorified notepads then you'd understand all the "beauty" of it. Or, god fucking forbid, had a job at supporting windows users in professional environments. Windows is as cancerous as piece of software can get desu senpai.
>>
>>51309495
>Windows is as cancerous as piece of software can ge
How do you figure?
>>
>>51309519

How do you *not* figure? It's a huge fucking rat's nest of legacy code and bullshit nobody needs or cares about, it breaks randomly at the drop of a hat, and because the company who makes the hardware doesn't even bother talking to the company who makes the OS, the end result almost always ends up disjointed, hackish, and failure-prone. I've seen literal *piles* of broken Dell Optiplexes that were so cheap nobody bothered to fix them, but so prone to breakage that they had to be phased out anyway.
>>
>>51309558
Breaks randomly? I don't know what you've been doing to your PC but mine hasn't broken since XP.
>>
>>51307767
windows is a piece of garbage in every sense of the word. Macs are the only good computers there are, it's linux without the faggotry.
>>
>>51309574

You may not know what I've been doing to my PC, but I know what you've been doing to *your* PC: absolutely nothing.
>>
>>51309599
Ha, if you think so pal.
>>
Give all employees macs, including the dunces.
You will then find that over 40% of mac users call for technical support.
>>
>>51307767

Flawed studies - the post.
>>
>>51309669

Because I'm sure IBM knows nothing about metrics or analytics, and has no vested interest in properly figuring out whether or not their expensive new investment is paying off.

I mean, it's not like they're so good at analytics that they can just build a Jeopardy champion out of silicon...
>>
>>51307767
This is probably more to do with the fact that mac users at technical companies chose that system for technical reasons and therefor are not retarded. I'm guessing the average computer user at IBM simply gets a PC with Windows, where the technical users and engineers may choose their platform.
>>
>>51307767
Actually, this doesn't take into consideration that MOST Mac users call every other helpdesk EXCEPT the ones they're supposed to.

Do you realise how many calls printer support lines get from Apple users regarding technical problems outside of printers or printer-related issues?
>>
>>51308602
this desu senpai
>>
>>51307767
>6 month old computers have fewer problems than 5 year old hardware that's ready to shit the bed

News at 11.
>>
>>51307767
Maybe because most IT departments have Windows machines locked down like a sheikh's harem and Windows users need them to unlock permissions
>>
>>51308389
Anon is that dense but your logic is still flawed. If I have 10 MAC users in a department and 1000 PC users it isn't reasonable to assume they'll have similar patterns of requesting help from the IT department. There are a ton of external variables. The larger the sample size the more likely issues with arise.
>>
>>51309930
Are you gonna like post a study anon? I mean please don't tell me that what you said was conjecture
>>
>>51310513
this desu

This literally reads like post-purchase rationalization by the moron who made the purchase to avoid getting fired for gross incompetence.
>>
>>51307767
Wrong!

As a professional trend analysis and educated in bother service desk problem shooting, this is wrong.

First off, MAC computers would be used for different purposes then PCs. Second the TCO is not lower since the larger body os PC users also means help desk has to maintain two KBases.

With educated services desk employees, the costs to employee operators also is increased.
>>
>>51310626
THIRTY-FIVE. thats all you need for a statistically sound sample.why are you making excuses for trash? OP's numbers don't surprise me at all, windows has always been a piece of half-functioning garbage. frig off
>>
Macs are easier to use than Windows PCs. It really amuses me to see PC faggots try and produce excuses as to why.
It doesn't matter why.

I don't use windows or Macs so don't put me on either side. Just the side of reality, and the reality is that a lower level of intellectual engagement is required to use Macs.
>>
>>51310756
>IBM acknowledges its employees are retarded

game over
>>
>it's harder for idiots to have problems with things that are literally made for idiots
whoa......
>>
>>51310739
I'm not sure where this 35 number came from, but I've seen it around recently.

This is based on an assumption (probably normality) that is likely not met about the underlying distribution.

For small effect size and some distributions, thousands of individuals in a sample might be needed. For other scenarios, you could get a statistically sound and significant result with five or fewer individuals.

TL;DR don't talk about things you have no knowledge of
>>
>>51310789
So you agree that Mac's are more sturdier than windows machines?
Well i guess that settles it
>>
Insider story for /g/
>IBM employees on Mac can't even do their yearly performance assesments
The official solution is to use their old Thinkpads because they're too jewish to pay for VMware or parallels.

ayyyyy
lmao
>>
Actually working in IT, 95% of problems have nothing to do with hardware or software, but simply the user being unable to figure out shit like how to print in some special format, can't connect to some bank's system, trying to pull report from a database, etc. This is not the type of shit accounting/management people need macs for, but they create the most issues with all the dozens of databases they use and paper work they generate.

TL;DR OP is full of shit, and so is the clickbait article.
>>
>>51310830
Pretty much. The more freedom you have within something the easier it is to fuck it up, if you literally can't do anything other than browse normiebook on it then you probably won't break it.
>>
>>51310811
>I'm not sure where this 35 number came from
>TL;DR don't talk about things you have no knowledge of
The irony here is amazing. You clearly haven't taken a single Statistics course in your life or read any Statistics book, but you're trying to tell people that they're the ones talking about something they know nothing about.
This is beautiful
>>
>>51310853
>no ssh
>no bash
>no C compiler

>hurr windurrs is mor free than mac
Okay, sheeple
>>
Your average Joe is stupid as fuck when it comes to IT, and has no drive to learn how to use a PC. Especially not if they use a Mac at home.

No amount of OS Fisher Price is going to change that.

>>51308405
I love you, man. No homo.
>>
>>51310881
>average Joe
>IBM
>>
>>51310863
30, not 35, works from a general population standpoint you brain dead retard, not all pulled from a single pool/source with zero variation in the selected population.
>>
>>51310890
They can be just as incompetent as anyone.
Had a manager who could not touch type when I was there.
>>
>>51310890
You'd be fucking surprised what people can do if they just have to follow a script, without actually understanding what they are doing.
>>
>>51310912
#rekt
>expecting anything more from a mactoddler that's probably barely scraping by his first stats course

t. minored in stats
>>
>>51310912
>from a general population standpoint
Making up rules now ehh?
Don't bother responding, this argument is over.
>>
it doesn't matter. they'll be dropping support for the Mac real soon with the iPad Pro looming
>>
>>51310941
Got my Masters in applied Mathematics from UPenn, buddo. I'm guessing you're another CS baby.
>>
>>51309558
>it breaks randomly
You sound like a typical soccer mom that just repeats the shit she heard from his basementdwelling neckbeard son.
>>
>>51310881
it's more fun when it's with homo tho :^)
>>
>>51310863
I'm one class away from a degree in statistics. Do you really think that it's so simple as 35 every time? There are entire textbooks written on this very topic.

http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm
https://www.qualtrics.com/blog/determining-sample-size/

I know it can be hard to comprehend. Do try actually informing your opinions before showing them to the world. If you're really curious ask a statistics professor; they'd all be happy to help correct your misconception.
>>
>>51310962
i invented stats, fuck u fgt
>>
>>51308579
This guy gets it. With nothing but "in company X windows IT calls are higher than Mac IT calls" we can't make any actual, reliable interpretation.

How is this data collected? Are all calls recorded or only ones where the issue was actually the person's machine? Which departments are calling/which departments have more Macs or PCs? What's the average use of the computer?
>>
File: 200.gif (4 MB, 273x200) Image search: [Google]
200.gif
4 MB, 273x200
>>51310962
>UPenn
>>
>>51310962
>I'm just a freshman who will drop out before finishing undergrad, much less grad school, buddo.
>>
>>51310811
35 is an empirical estimate of the minimum amount of samples required for a mann-whitney test or for the gaussian assumption to hold.
>>
>>51311024
Ironically I got a 4.0 for my first two years at Uni. But assuming that you were projecting, I'll say that you'll do fine friend. Don't forget to study for finals :)
>>
File: 1446129471481.jpg (9 KB, 227x200) Image search: [Google]
1446129471481.jpg
9 KB, 227x200
>>51311136
>bragging about 4.0'ing 100 level classes
>UPenn
>>
>>51307767
So what you're saying is, 35% of mac users are too stupid to even know how to make a phone call?
>>
>>51310999
UPenn is Ivy League kid
>>
>>51308378
I was thinking the same thing but that argument is wrong because it's percentage based not total consumers. Market share is irrelevant unfortunately.
>>
>>51311145
kek
>>
>>51311143
What are you even talking about. Did you even read the post of the person I was responding to?
>>
>>51311147
>ivy league
>anything more than social club degree mills
ayylmao
>>
>>51311174
I think you might now know how grad degrees work
>>
>>51311143
>implying I got my undergrad there
How old are you?
>>
IBM is the worst thing that's happened to computing.
>>
>>51307767
Of course a Mac failing is less likely. Wanna know why? Because there are only a handful of different Apple devices put there, while Windows is running on about any hardware configuration you can think of.
Geeee, I wonder what's more likely to fail?!
>>
File: 1446218349883.jpg (39 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1446218349883.jpg
39 KB, 1024x1024
>arguing about windows/Mac
>mfw Mint is the surpreme overlord
>>
>>51311136
Is it even possible NOT to 4.0 your first 2 years?
>>
>>51311277

You say that like it's somehow a bad thing.
>>
Ability to customize, compatibility, and repairability are some of the most important things for enterprise workstations. Ease of use is secondary to having a machine that can be managed and fixed as well as made to work with everything the business requires. OSX has very little in the way of enterprise support and does not have bulk deployment/management solutions. It doesn't have any Active Directory equivalent either. This is why Windows always prevails.
>>
>>51311995
>It doesn't have any Active Directory equivalent either
Good thing there's Linux and Samba :DDD
This is why Windows always loses.
Losing to Linux in mobile
Losing to Linux in Enterprise
Losing to Apple in Home Computers
>>
> only 5% of Mac users can successfully navigate telephones
> 40% of Windows users have mastered same

Must be a millennial thing
>>
>>51312078
kek
>>
what tardy ass statics...

>less than 5% of employees use macs
>less tech complaints from mac users

no shit guy

if no one used a mac, you'd have 0% mac users requesting tech support. does that mean it's flawless?
>>
>>51308579
Totally agree. Worked for a major company with a similar split.
Those who had Macs (majority) typically worked in sales where most of their work was done on the phone or via email. Otherwise it was power users who had either a second machine or mac with a windows vm. The power users also typically requested Red Hat 6 on PCs and a mac for nothing too intensive.
The amount of issues revolving around the users rather than the machines made it pretty clear cut. People with admin privileges doing development work and using more than one IDE or program, depending on the project, ran into far more issues than people looking at expense reports. Most of the time IT was working on bizarre dev issues rather than "Windows blue screened again".
>>
>>51312160
Are you retarded?
>>
>>51309558
>>51309594

it's so bad that no one wants to switch from it
>>
>>51312299

I assure you, people aren't staying with Windows because they like it. They're staying with it because they're afraid of change, or because they're poor, or because they play video games, or because they have some 40-year-old business software that only runs on it.

>>51312160

PER. CAPITA. YOU. DUMB. SHIT.

PLEASE learn to read. For reals.
>>
File: staysafe.jpg (113 KB, 944x544) Image search: [Google]
staysafe.jpg
113 KB, 944x544
>>51307767
>>
>>51311188
You sure you have a degree?
>>
>>51312515
so, what you're saying is that macos is too different from windows to be readily usable by 90% of the market share or apple isn't marketing their similarities enough, that apple makes their shit much more expensive than the competition for no "dealbreaker" reasons, game developers don't give a shit about the apple ecosystem and niche software makers don't code for mac

and, somehow, apple makes great products that everyone wants to buy but, through no fault of apple, they can't because they happen to need something else

sound logic bro
>>
>>51307767
>Mac vs PC
>Implying that mac is not a personal computer

This apple fags are getting worse as the time goes by, noe I hear people saying "I dont have a computer, I have a mac" or "This is not a PC, its a mac"
>>
>>51308389
No, but you are. His post made total sense: windows is a shit OS, and over 90% of PCs use windows (excluding Linux, BSD and ChromeOS), so of course PC users will call more.
>>
>>51314528
>windows is a shit OS
Nice arguments, dude.
>>
>>51307767
Its because half of PC users are tech retards and osx is designed for tech retards
>inb4 minimalism
>>
>>51307767
I work at helpdesk, I can confirm this.
My worst nightmare is grannies using vanilla windows 8. This kills the productivity.
>>
>>51317127
>allowing anyone to use vanilla windows 8

All of you morons should be fired desu if you're this grossly incompetent.
>>
Windows users are the lowest common denominator, whether they are skilled or not. There are very few people who grew up using nothing but Macs and have never had experience with anything else.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.