[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a decent score?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 00i0i_9W4kjveNN2D_600x450.jpg (18 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
00i0i_9W4kjveNN2D_600x450.jpg
18 KB, 337x450
Gotta guy on Craigs' selling an old PowerMac G5 for $75.
I'm a Windows-Linux guy, but hell, $75? It's IBM based and fancy metal.
I can at least bag it for tunes-vids-dabbling right?
Is it a 50-pound paperweight or a decent deal?
>>
>Is it a 50-pound paperweight

you answered your own question
>>
>>51307324
copy that. mahalo, bro.
>>
$75 bucks is alright

What you really bought was the beautiful case and (if you wanted) the little stuff the internals can run
>>
>>51307316
Gut the case and build something new into it. You'll probably have to dremel most of the old mounts as I don't think anything is standard within it.
>>
>>51307316
The case is ok, you can mod it and put some real shit in there.

Just grab yourself an older macbook pro if you want some silver piece of shit
>>
>>51307335
The case might be worth that, some people mod them.

As for the computer in general, pretty worthless. Firefox might still be updating their browser on that but lots of modern web shit will be shitty.
>>
In terms of price, you're more or less getting market value. I've seen G5s go for between $50 and $100 regularly on eBay.

In terms of value... if you don't particularly need PowerPC for some reason (such as doing MorphOS or doing native PPC Linux development), it's pretty much going to be junk. The PowerMac G5 was sold between the years of 2003 and 2006, and has been far outclassed since then. If you invest even a little bit more money, you can build a better machine for your audio/video editing needs.
>>
>>51307316
It really depends on your use case senario and what specs it has. If it is any single processor/core model its worthless. the dual core/dual processor ones can still do some stuff, but the powerpc architecture not being supported by anyone anymore makes it thing alot less useful. Also if it is any dual processor with liquid cooling, run away screaming, its probably already leaking.

That said. It can run all the programs a powerpc mac in 2006 could run. Linux support is still good on ppc. But it is still limited when compared to its x86 counterpart. Lastly, the case would make for an amazing hackintosh. if you are willing to do some modding, of course.
>>
Many Many Thanks for the serious wisdom, /g/ !!!
I never frigged around with Mac hardware.
'Figured a cheapo side project would be some fun.
I do have a Dremel and will prolly mod the crap out of it. pWhipped on that damn case.
>>
File: PowerMac_G3.png (924 KB, 1072x712) Image search: [Google]
PowerMac_G3.png
924 KB, 1072x712
>I'm a Linux guy
Great, you just found yourself a hell of a Debian PPC machine. I'm jealous as fuck of you right now. Hope it's one of the models with water cooling.

Here's an oldie - Blue PowerMac G3 dual booting Debian 5 PPC and like Tiger or one of the later OS X PPC editions (which are actually pretty nice)
>>
>>51307621
Inspired.
Now I am definitely gonna sup her up, dual boot that pup with MintCinnamon and a Hackie SnowLeo or Win10 if poss.
The old guy has 8 Gb, 2 vid cards, and the case is pristine like a damn old lady tea set.
>>
>>51307328
>mahalo
Shit. You on Oahu?

fwiw, I saw what I think is a 21" G5 iMac on the shelf of the Waipahu Savers store this afternoon.
White case with no camera, so I think it's a G5 model. $40. No guarantees it works though. I didn't think to drag it to the outlet nearby to see if it powers up.

If I didn't already have my 17" model still sitting around, I might've been tempted to get it.
>>
>>51307842
was in 96815 for years, had to transfer back home to this overpriced 400 year old fucktown called Boston.
I MISS MY OAHU OHANA
>>
The only thing that determines if it was a good buy or not is what you intend on doing with it.

Learning about old operating systems that only run on powerpc or something that you don't have experience with? Good deal.

Going to just plop it somewhere running a shitty lightweight http server because you dunno what to do with it? Shoulda let the africans scrap it.
>>
>>51307902
I'll be back in 2017. Can't damn wait for me 808.
>>
>>51307913
bwah !!!!!
good un.
no I will pump life into it and get something outta it.
promise. no freeloaders in my (retired) bench tech world.
>>
>>51307902
Isn't hawaii literally the most overpriced place on earth?
>>
No, Australia.
>>
>>51307316
Do you eat shit out of your own hands my friend?

But seriously build a pc in the case m8
>>
>>51308303
Curry break is over, Apu.
Get back to your call station.
>>
File: Really Nice.jpg (2 MB, 3433x2033) Image search: [Google]
Really Nice.jpg
2 MB, 3433x2033
>>51308168
That's the rumor. No. You cannot earn less than 35K per annum to survive.
Apart from that, I rented for 900 a month, I had a straight job & bartended at the airport PT for some extra moonlighting cash.
Don't need a car. Rent one if ya want to jaunt OR rent a Harley fro the weekend.
I cycled, walked, or took the bus everywhere.
Racism: a bit, but doable. 3 fights in 1st 6 months. 3-0. One was JUST for having a Red Sox hat on (wtf?).
Once friends become your friends, they treat you like family. I never forgot that feeling. They are genuine, tough, funny, and the best people on the planet Earth. Haoule hate I understand. But I didn't do anything to anybody. Like Captain Cooke or Yank exploiting or whatevz they hate for.
Hawaiians.
>>
>>51308303
gonna overhaul the fuck out of it.
you are 111% right.
thanks. gonna try to bag it for 50 bucks.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.