[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since 2013, I have been developing a web server suite in QB6
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: website.png (281 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
website.png
281 KB, 1280x1024
Since 2013, I have been developing a web server suite in QB64 (www.qb64.net).
The suite contains a server with an integrated scripting language.
Scripts may utilize cookies, forms, subs, if/then blocks, strings, arrays, and more.
I also developed an IDE and documentation. Everything is open source.
Through countless hours of trial and error, I have a stable release that seems to work seamlessly.
My website started out on freewebs in 2007. In 2012, I started experimenting with SimpleHTTPServer and Apache.
In 2013, I started porting my website to run with my server. This gave me incentive to develop it's features.
Now, my website has a dynamic index page and serves files with great speed.

I intend to develop similar software in other languages such as python or C++ using what I learned from this project.
If anyone learns something from my project or has any questions or comments, I would like to hear from you.

The software is available on my website here: http://geekbasic.com/index.gbws?$page=downloads&%23pointer=3
If anyone wants to contact me: [email protected]

On my website, there are many features that depend on the scripting language.
This includes the login interface, dynamic meta tags, random quote display, forums, etc.

The image is of my website.
>>
>>51302967
ugly as fuck
>>
stop trying to reinvent the wheel
>>
>>51302974
Retro themed. Atari 800 inspired color scheme.

>>51302980
No, I would like to learn how the internet works.
>>
File: Xayqs3IS.jpg (321 KB, 1971x1971) Image search: [Google]
Xayqs3IS.jpg
321 KB, 1971x1971
Do a Project with Terry A. Davis. You two seem to fit perfectly together...
>>
>>51303453
LOL? Are you implying that I am absolutely insane, yet freakishly talented? ;)
>>
Fuck the haters, this is awesome OP. Especially the part where you made it all yourself open source. We need more human beings like you. I hope I can one day do something this cool.

Anybody posting shit about this should go die in a hole. What you are doing is awesome. Keep it up, for humanity!
>>
>mfw I made a raytracer in qb4.5 back in 2007
The shitty resolutions color modes qb4.5 limited me to really killed it.
Though it could render to a bmp which could then be viewed by some external program.
>>
>>51303527
Yes.
>>
>>51303656
Thank you. :)
>>
>>51303804
I grew up using qb4.5 and always loved it.

QB64 shares the same syntax, but doesn't have the same memory limitations.
>>
File: original.png (98 KB, 379x363) Image search: [Google]
original.png
98 KB, 379x363
>>51302967
very interesting
Good one, OP
>>
>>51302967
you should post this on the programming subreddit

reddit.com/r/programming
>>
>>51303848
Glad to hear it :D

>>51303864
Good advice, thanks!
>>
>>51303819
It was OK I guess. It was actually my first programming language because my dad had a floppy laying around with it and I didn't have internet until a year or so after that. Was qb4.5 ever used in a serious program with an actual purpose other than being a teaching tool?
Because even when I got on the internet all I could find were obscure hobby sites and VisualBasic (which disappointed me because the syntax was way different). DirectQB was one of the first libs I got for qb4.5 so I could make programs with sound and better graphics.
Have you considered a qb web browser?
>>
>>51302967
I commend you on your efforts. You're working with quite obscure tools.
>>
I can't believe how long it's been since I've actually felt respect for any post on /g/. Rest easy knowing that you're literally the cream of the crop anon, motivated, creative people like you are one in a million.
>>
>>51303864
he should also post it to hacker news. Mark it as "Show HN: ..."
>>
Very interesting, thanks for the post OP.

I don't know a lot about BASIC yet, is the download provided also the source code? I want to read through it.
>>
File: gbc.png (20 KB, 800x602) Image search: [Google]
gbc.png
20 KB, 800x602
>>51303932
Qb has been used for many professional apps. Here is a link to a guy who created a TCP/IP apps in QB4.5 including a web server: http://www.rubbermallet.org/oldindex.html

Qb is also great for creating GUI's to run over MsDOS/FreeDOS. This link contains reviews of many QB GUIs: http://theguiblog.com/

This link is of a GUI that I created: http://geekbasic.com/index.gbws?$page=downloads&%23pointer=18

I created a web browser in QB64 already as well. :) You may connect to it via telnet here: telnet://geekbasic.com:738

I also created a web browser for windows in Just BASIC and Blitz BASIC (open source) (pic related): http://geekbasic.com/index.gbws?$page=downloads&%23pointer=6
>>
>>51303985
>>51303992
Thanks for the kind words!

>>51304007
I will try that.

>>51304033
The source code is provided in the download along with scripting examples.
>>
I will be posting here weekly with updates on this project.

Currently, I am implementing a new security feature regarding login tracking with cookies, something I have been procrastinating to do.
When I am done, I will share what I did.
>>
It's been so long since I've used QBasic. I've since moved on to more modern languages like C, C++ and Python but this one always held a special place in my heart.
brb reinstalling dosbox.
>>
>>51302967
well that's really cool and also completely useless

when all knowledge of the internet is wiped out during the nuclear holocaustopocalypse and the only thing left is your programming in BASIC, you will be one of the great heroes of humanity

congratulations on the posthumous vindication of your complete waste of human effort
>>
>>51304758
Don't listen to this spaz OP you probably have a better understanding of how webservers work than this fag. He's probably also a Communist and an Indian.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.