[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do I do with this useless shit general. I have two raspberry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: raspi.jpg (177 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
raspi.jpg
177 KB, 1280x1024
What do I do with this useless shit general.

I have two raspberry Pi's, one older model and one new model. Everything I do with this is either useless or I scrap it because I realize I don't need it anyways.

Radius server: Who cares I live in a neighbourhood of old people. No one is trying to crack my WPA.

VPN: I use a normal service I pay for.

Home server: SpiderOak syncs my files anyways

What do I even do with this, even if its a meme.
>>
>>51302959
why the fuck did you buy them in the first place, fucktard?

shove one up your ass an the other up your vagina, so you can support feminism even more, dumbass

gtfo
>>
>>51302959
Shove it up your ass, and take pics.
>>
>>51302959
They're a cheap DIY, fun solution for the things you pay for out of laziness. So really, they're completely useless to you.

A hobbiest would make a media server, file server, mail server, web server, munin master for another server, or maybe even a console for old games. You would just buy a NAS, roku, or a GCW-Zero or hosting.

P.S. Installing gentoo on this is torture, so I can't even give you a meme recommendation
>>
>>51302973
listen here nigger I got one for free and the other for a discount.
>>
>>51303085
I pay for certain features that the Pi doesnt do for me, specifically in the hosting but aside from that...

Do you own any? I know there must be more than just what you listed because i've tried all those (except for mail) but nothing actually is worth the time to put into it. There must be something....
>>
>>51303144
I bought one initially for a hardware course developping a game on bare metal arm assembly with some debugging mechanism.

I now use it as a munin master node that receives diagnostics from my server. If my server crashes I can use the node to diagnose it.

One thing that might be cool is if you made a low powered headless seedbox with it.
>>
>>51303144
Kodi

Pirate everything into it and stop paying for cable and their stupid fucking ads
>>
>>51303089
>a discount
buys something he doesnt need even though he already has one he doesnt use: because discount

wow you are fucking retarded. You couldnt set up anything with it which is why your bitching.
now gtfo.
>>
>>51303210
I was thinking a seedbox but I want to be able to setup my VPN on it as well if I do that.
>>
>>51302959
Run the fucker on a power bank with a usb wifi + massive storage, install LoonX and Transmission with remote admin enabled.
Sign it in to public wifi and torrent fucking everything.
Bonus points for wiring it into your car and wartorrenting
>>
>>51303276
You certainly can. Your provider should have instructions for setup, but if it should be compatible with OpenVPN.
>>
>>51303085
Use a cross compilier for initial install, distcc, or a build server after deployment you dumbass.
>>
>>51303280
I could probably drop this in my college's wifi as long as I find someone elses login as it is WPA enterprise and I dont want it tied back to my ID
>>
OP Here

Whats the most fun I could have with a rogue FM transmitter setup on the pi? I could drop it in a public place and hope to overide the popular local stations?
>>
My current pi project is wiring up the gpio to a c64 expansion port. I then plan on emulating a superCPU to communicate with the pi and writing some extensions that make loading games and demos really fast.
>>
>>51303396
It wouldn't be powerful enough to override anything, except maybe in a very small area (wer're talking feet here, not blocks).
>>
>>51303435
Shit. So not cars driving by? I know nothing about radio.
>>
>>51302959
make an energy monitor for your home

openenergymonitor.org/emon/buildingblocks
>>
>>51303514
Thanks have you tried this?
>>
File: 2015-06-14 15.43.43.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
2015-06-14 15.43.43.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
>>51303534
yes i have however the pi its just like 20% of the project, its very well documented, and you will learn a lot
>>
File: adap.jpg (1 MB, 2907x2298) Image search: [Google]
adap.jpg
1 MB, 2907x2298
>>51303566
heres my phones and computer monitoring my energy consumption

everything you need to do this is in the building blocks page, but as i said its a lot of info, you might want to tackle the problem slowly,
>>
>>51303591
Very impressive. Thanks for the resource thats great
>>
>>51302959

Network surveillance, at home or in the field. Learn common attacks, how to spot them and how to defend. Then hook your Pi up to a battery pack, and have it do the same out and about *without causing harm*, autonomously. Log your results.

Create an interactive "honey pot" with a tempting name at your local coffee shop. See who drops in and snoops around. Leave subversive literature on it, see what weird shit people leave in return. Or make port 80 redirect to a web server with a "choose your own adventure" type story...see what choices people make. Each week have a different installment.

Install Snort, have it sound the alarm and shutdown your OpenWrt router if someone ends up on your network without your permission. Figure out how you would identify the outsider in this situation. Then do your best to break in and try to trip the alarm.

Hook a GPS module up to your pi, and as you drive around have it log all of the open wireless networks in your town along with their location. Then figure out how to create a mobile wireless dead drop...

This is the age of ubiquitous computing. The possibilities are endless.
>>
>>51302959
Media machine? Hook it up to your TV and plug in an external HDD and just play movies and shit off of it? Emulation box? The Pi 2 runs PS1 games beautifully, I use mine to play Wipeout 3SE (PAL only) on my NTSC TV.

really, it's best use is as a super-low-power home server if you aren't going to be using it as an overpowered microcontroller to build something with, but you have that problem solved

and I need to set mine up as a seedbox, hot damn
>>
LOAD KODI ON THAT WITH GENESIS!
>>
>>51302959
Make a piratebox, fill it with cheese pizza and turn it on at a Starbucks
>>
>>51303591
How the fuck are you using 5KW?
Wait, hours, my bad.
So that counts how much you've used that day?
>>
>>51303644
You are full of good ideas arent you. Very interesting ideas... I like these.

Network surveillance is a interesting concept. I don't know of any tools made for this other than manually sniffing 100% of the time and recording all packets but that seems not very efficient.

Has anyone ever told you that you have an unique way of writing which is very inspiring?
>>
>>51302959
>two
so
you bought one and then, like
>fuck, i have no idea what to do with it
and then you've bought one more?

i'm making timelapses with my old dslr and rpi, rpi presses shoot button since my camera doesn't have this function (timelapse, i mean) at default. its GPIO is good enough for most amateur usages, i think i even seen somewhere hd44780 screen driver written from system on highest level, and if it's fast enough to communicate this way even from OS - it's great.

it's also good music player if you have usb soundcard (because standard rpi soundcard is worse than hitler) and proper audio equipment that you'd want to manage remotely by phone/whatever.
>>
>>51302959

Create a simple website that teaches people to be a little safer with their computers, step by step. Teach them how to not get hacked.

Leave it running at the coffee shop, see who stumbles in unintentionally. Entice them with some non-invasive information about the other people currently on the network, clue them in on this invisible world they're a part of, that they're vulnerable to and know nothing about.

Have poll questions where they're encouraged to answer honestly, and spaces for comments. See if anyone actually learns anything.
>>
>>51303591
Still, I'm curious what's using those 2KW.
>>
>>51303935
I was inspired by another anon to do something like this. I am making a honeypot right now actually and might drop it at my college. Luckily I had an adaptor with AP lying around from some other project. I am unsure about the ssid however. Is it more effective to suprise people with a cloned ssid of an expected network or a ssid which is out of place but they know something is up?
>>
>>51303945
A clothes dryer?
>>
>>51303783

Well thanks. There's so many cool things you could do with a Pi and some bash or Python. Fun, performance art type stuff. Real world, mobile things. Little projects like these will be valuable, because....

....we're less than 10 years away from widespread consumer adoption of "Google Glass" type devices. Much less than that for homebrew folks (LIKE US) using maybe a c.h.i.p. $9 computer, and a viable hud that doesn't make you look like a moron. It could handle a simple augmented reality overlay, and send more intensive processing like facial recognition & tracking, and cross referencing with social media, off to your own cloud computer via GSM.

The consumer devices will be walled garden, voice operated, iOS type things with crippled functionality. "Google Glass, tell the Starbucks to have my coffee waiting for me. Google Glass, should I order a merlot or a pinot noir?" And of course everything you do will be tracked by advertisers. Locked down, no CLI, proprietary connectors. No fun, fuck that.

But by the time the above come out and become fashionable, DIY hackers will have already put together all sorts of weird cutting edge things: menu input by pupil tracking, throat microphone voice input, custom configured application packages so you're always unobtrusively online, experimental hud setups, personal web and file servers to work in parallel with your real-time social interactions, mesh networking...basically like the first section of Charles Stross's "Accelerando".

So learning ahead of time to do weird shit with a fun little mobile computer, TODAY, might be a pretty important part of this.
>>
>>51303980

I would do the latter, if only because with the former it becomes very easy for administrators and authorities to say you perpetrated some sort of evil "hack". They wont be sympathetic if you say you did it to educate people, everyone will just be eager to appear tough on "computer crime" and advance their careers.
>>
>>51302959
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Raspberry_Pi
>>
>>51303514
I tried this and my utilities have locked/encrypted the meters here.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.