[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have an old Windows Vista laptop, 1gb of Ram and just generally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1437597103504.webm (1 MB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
1437597103504.webm
1 MB, 400x296
I have an old Windows Vista laptop, 1gb of Ram and just generally really slow to run windows. What type of Linux would be best? I want something that will breed new life into machine.
>>
I forgot to mention that I have no prior knowledge with Linux.
>>
>>51300109
I've tried all of them - lubuntu, puppy, elementary, debian, you name it. They we're either slow and/or ugly and unintuitive as fuck.

Now I'm back to windows and I'm the happiest person with shit laptop alive.
>>
>>51300109
I stuck lubuntu on an old notebook (intel atom, 2gb ram) and used it for running a media server and browsing the web; was ok
>>
>>51300109
damn small linux if you want just a browsing facebook flash games.Thats about all you're gunan get with those shit specs from a decade ago
>>
>>51301701
GNOME is the answer
>>
What a satisfying webm
>>
>>51300109
>breed new life
I guess you'd need a second one for that, given that both are still in their fertility age.
>>
>>51300109
>Upgrade Ram to 2~4gb
>Put an SSD in there, HDD in caddy, fuck ODD
>Install Windows 7/8.1
There you go, fast as fuck machine.
Linux with 1gb ram is still fucking slow nowadays unless you want to use it for anything but web browsing.
>>
>>51301753
Can't say the silly nog didn't have it coming because he did a long way, but he sure as fuck didn't _see_ it coming.
>>
>>51301803
>fuck ODD
Did ODDs died yet...? ;_;
>>
>>51301835
For me yes, I just download the usual 8gb bluray rips and most software is download only now.
I have a spare on my desktop but on laptop I prefer storage.
>>
>>51300109
tiny core
>>
>>51301817
>nog's friend who was recording his sheenanigans casually just walks away upon nog getting hit by van, not giving much of a fuck apparently
>prolly went off to make a webm right away and post it on chinkchan
>>
>>51300109
if it has expresscard34 - buy a usb 3.0 card, buy a sandisk 64gb ultrafit for like 20$, do WIndows To Go on it (Windows 8 basically uses the flash drive as an SSD), and you'll never look back.
Shit gets hot sometimes, and it might throttle if you do a lot on it, but its an SSD for 20$ + expresscard
Or you can buy an SSD 120GB for like 50$ and do that, then go Win8/10.
>>
>>51301895
Don't fool yourself, he used his $20 boost Mobile Android phone to upload it to worldstar and some white guy found it and converted it to .webm
>>
>>51300109

I've got mint on my old as fuck laptop. It runs a lot better than it did with Vista and does a lot more to be honest. I've tried kubuntu and ubuntu on it and wasn't as happy with them.
>>
>>51301868
>most software is download only now

Fucking Larry Ellison got his way. He was ranting in "Triumph of the Nerds" almost 20 years ago how he hated software being recorded onto CDs, CDs being put into cardboard, cardboard with CDs being put into trucks etc. and wanted to have everything being sent over the wire instead. Oh well.
>>
Throw an extra GB of RAM there and install Windows 10.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.