[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What /g/ thinks about raspberry py? What can you teach me about it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: Raspberry_Pi_Logo.svg.png (14 KB, 150x190) Image search: [Google]
Raspberry_Pi_Logo.svg.png
14 KB, 150x190
What /g/ thinks about raspberry py?
What can you teach me about it?
>>
install gentoo
>>
>tech related thread
>zero posts
>>
meme
>>
>>51298089
its computer. use your imagination.
>>
>>51298186
This
>>51298089
Well it's a credit card sized computer that can be used for numerous things, but when people buy them 50% of the time then don't know what to use them for.
>>
>>51298216
/thr3@d
>>
>>51298216
>then don't know what to use them for.
what do you use them for, though?
>>
mine is currently seeding some distros.
>>
>>51298089
Check this out, /g/ won't be any helpful.
https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/2qaasn/congratulations_you_received_a_raspberry_pi_as_a/
https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/
>>
>>51298290
Not much, unless you're extremely experienced with home automation and have a dozen Arduinos or similar laying around unused.

They're not powerful enough to use as an actual computer outside of very basic web browsing and SD Youtube. They cannot accept enough storage to be used as a word processor/office computer, even though the specs otherwise would be perfect for that (some spinoffs can accept a SSD though).

They're bigger and less powerful than something like a Roku/FireTV stick and are barely adequate for serving streamed video at 1080P30 (much less 1080P60 or higher) as an HTPC.

So far the only real uses I've seen for them outside of custom home automation are:
>wifi repeater/homebrew router (with the addition of about $400 worth of extra network cards, a real waste when you consider the RPi is $20)
>testbed for SoC development (only on models with a serial port)
>print server (why are you using a standalone device as a print server?)
>Ahmed-clockbomb-tier bullshit
>actual bomb (why not just a cheap cellphone?)
>>
>>51298572
Must be some pretty fucking tiny distros if you got the OS and more than 1 distro on a 64gb SD card.
>>
File: rpg.png (36 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
rpg.png
36 KB, 512x512
>>51298089
they are cheap computers with a wide variety of uses:

>first computer for someone young and learning.

>xbmc media player

>web server

>storage server when hooked up to a external hdd

>computer for old people with basic needs

>retro gaming computer

>poorfag desktop pc

the list is endless
just don’t buy one if you don’t have a use.
>>
File: seeding.png (54 KB, 825x449) Image search: [Google]
seeding.png
54 KB, 825x449
>>51298903
old ratios
>>
>>51298912
>computer for old people with basic needs
>poorfag desktop pc
Perhaps when you can get hardware acceleration for MPEG4 through mplayer or vlc. You're better off buying a 10 year old computer from Goodwill for this.
>>
>>51298903
du -h /
4.7G .

What the hell are you doing with your OS' that you can't fit several of them on a 64GB drive?
>>
>>51299011
>arch
>Raspbian
I was right.
>>
It will teach you how to put it in a drawer and never use it after getting the lights to blink.
>>
>>51299011
>>51299037
Oh, images. My bad.
>>
File: Screenshot_3.png (13 KB, 573x315) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.png
13 KB, 573x315
My OrangePi was cheaper :^)
>>
>>51299046
like these distros, and how big do images really have to be?
>>
>>51299021
true, but form factor can come in handy for some too, I guess they could get a laptop for that as well but you know.

also you could use it as a:

>seed box
>ssh box
etc....
>>
>>51299037
Using something other than Arch or Raspbian.

Hell my kubuntu install is 9gb by itself with literally zero anything else installed. The iso is 4.3gb. Now imagine if I actually had programs installed on that computer. The average (not Arch/Raspbian) linux computer has ~40gb tied up between the OS and the dozen programs most people use.
>>
>>51299100
>Using something other than Arch or Raspbian.
I'm using OpenSUSE.
>>
>>51298089
I liked the idea but never had a use for it. Now I got a car that has screens for the rear seats. Those screens are 4:3 ratio and are perfect for playing vidya (tested one drunk night with a SNES).
So now I ordered some parts and will get a RetroPi going on in there so people riding in the back can play comfy vidya.
Will probably post pictures somewhere once it's finished.
>>
File: Screenshot-210.png (198 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-210.png
198 KB, 1440x900
>>51298903
maybe he is just seeding the .ISO files, they are small enough and might have a external hdd for extra space.
>>
File: 1405899687960.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
1405899687960.gif
2 MB, 300x290
>>51298089
Haven't you seen Mr. Robot.

They're for hacking, duh.
>>
>>51299188
>usb2 external hdd
>would rather stick my dick in a blender
Unless it's not actually a -raspberry- Pi and actually has a sata header (like a Banana Pi), in which case he's a lying sack of shit for saying it was a Raspberry Pi.
>>
>>51298764
thanks. Kek'd mediumly
Quite a shame they are so useless. If I had a use for one it'd be a really interesting contraption to play around with.
>>
>>51298764
what about running as a torrent box/seed box?
>>
>>51299242
Only if it's not actually a Raspberry Pi and has a sata header (like a Banana Pi) so you're not stuck with a grand total of 64gb of storage.

But yeah, with a Banana Pi they make a fucking fantastic seedbox. Doubly so if you're a sneaky git that can discretely install it somewhere not directly connected to you so any cease-and-desists go somewhere else (uni tech room, public library, McD's wifi, etc).
>>
>>51299278
I use my OrangePi with a 2TB external hard drive and it works fine?
>>
>>51298089

I love them.

I have replaced my old Pentium 4 junk server with several of them doing single task operations.

> Less power
> Easier to wipe out and reuse
> Less physical space.
>>
>>51299291
Not familiar with Orange Pi.

But again.
>IT IS NOT A FUCKING RASPBERRY PI
It is an Orange Pi.

This thread is about the Raspberry Pi. A different fucking thing. That does not have a SATA header on any of the models.

Because it does not have a SATA header, the RASPBERRY Pi is shit.
>>
>>51299312
Doesn't have a sata header I use it through USB 2.0

also it was $15
>>
>>51299232
>>51299278
0.60 USD has been posted to your account.

I'm kidding, but jeez shill much?
>>
>>51298089
There are way cheaper paperweights out there
>>
>>51299320
Not shilling. There are about a dozen [not Raspberry] Pi's that have a SATA header. That is literally all I care about--that the Raspberry Pi lacks one.

Banana Pi
Banana Pi 2
Orange Pi Plus
Orange Pi 2
Orange Pi Plus 2
etc
etc
etc
>>
>>51299318
Eh, not bad for $15.

My BananaPi 2 was $23 off Aliexpress, pretty happy with it. Stomps the shit out of the first-gen RaspPi I was gifted.
>>
>>51298089
One of mine is an MPD server (analog noise isn't that bad on a RPi2), one of them is attached to a passive lan tap for sniffing (not fully set up though) and one of them will be dedicated to playing sandcastlebuilder.
Last 2 are B+ btw
>>
>>51299368
Do you understand that not every computing device requires 6GB+ of space and that a Raspberry Pi fits many usecases with the added benefit of an online community larger than a dozen snarky contrarian shills?
>>
>>51299677
64GB+*
>>
>>51299698
Do you realize that outside of a print server, everything that a normal person would need to do with a computer does require more than 64gb of space?
>>
>>51299756
a rpi wouldn't be used for desktop use.

it is a tiny computer to ssh into and do shit, or maybe htpc.
>>
>>51298089
There are better boards out there, but Raspberry Pi has a larger community around it, and better support. The only board that beats it in terms of community is Arduino, but they really aren't that comparable.

I'm building a homebrew tablet. I thought about going with the Odroid board, but ended up with a PCDuino instead. The PCDuino has a Sata port, and can actually boot from it, and that's why I chose it. SSD > SD cards and eMMC.

Also it's one of the few boards specifically supported by OpenBSD. It may end up being more trouble than it's worth, but I want to see how OpenBSD does as a mobile OS.
>>
>>51298089
> raspberry pi
> massive binary blob of backdoored goodness
>>
Has anyone installed Android on it? Maybe it'd be a bit better at playing media that way
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.