[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GPUpgrade
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: $_35.jpg (17 KB, 300x291) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
17 KB, 300x291
Hey /g/,

I want to upgrade my GPU after 4 years with my GTX 560ti. It was a pretty decent card when I first got the computer but it's really showing its age now. Finding a better one isn't difficult, but choosing the best one for the money is a pretty tough task.

I'm looking around the $200 range and so far the best contender seems like this Sapphire Radeon R9 290 100362SR 4GB. It's pretty much right at the $200 mark on newegg (after a $20 rebate). I've heard some bad things about the GTX 960, not that it's necessarily a bad card outright but that it wasn't really worth the price. Is this still the case? Is the R9 290 a better value? I'm pretty out of the loop on stuff so help is appreciated.
>>
the 290 is better. but better look at a r9 3xx Series Card.
and no reference card!!
>>
Just got that exact card, its okay but i still experience a decrease in fps after 2hrs of gaming due to heat which can easily be resolved by just revving up the fan speed for a minute
>>
>>51297365

I'm not really sure how to tell a reference card from a non reference card.

The 3xx series in the same price range were R9 380 cards. Would that be a better route? They seemed more dated than the 290.
>>
>>51297670
The 380 is similar to a 285, which is on par with a gtx960.
A 290 would only be beaten by a 390(x) or a 290x and head to head with a meme 970, so go for one of those.
As for reference vs aftermarket, just look for moar coolers and a gayming design, those usually offer better cooling with better clocks
>>
File: speccy.png (58 KB, 966x532) Image search: [Google]
speccy.png
58 KB, 966x532
Semi incompetent hijacking the thread. Pic related is my comp and I'm looking at getting a new gpu for ~$250, suggestions?
>>
Would this XFX be a better choice? The 290x is really just pushing the price way too far for me. The clock speed on this is marginally better than the Sapphire and I've heard Sapphire makes the best AMD cards.
>>
>>51299509
The desirable thing about Sapphire is their good triple fan coolers, not the quality / warranty. I'd get the XFX if the price is close
>>
>>51299509
>>51299543

The tip top sapphire coolers only matter if you are overclocking - at stock any non asus cooler gets the job done.
>>
File: te.png (32 KB, 753x394) Image search: [Google]
te.png
32 KB, 753x394
i dont know how /g/ works but i want to hijack this thread, can you guys tell me how can i upgrade this piece of shit?
>>
>>51299543
The xfx is about $30 more than the Sapphire in the OP.

>>51299814
Are you saying the one in the OP should be fine or would you suggest the xfx as well?
>>
>>51299879
Every component is shit.
Throw the whole thing out and buy a new one.
>>
>>51299899

>Are you saying the one in the OP should be fine or would you suggest the xfx as well?

Well the reference cooler works if you don't mind going deaf. Honestly never get any gpu cooler that has less than two fans on it.

Top tip: a good 290 > a shit 290x.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQhqOKKAq7o
>>
>>51297243
Hijacking thread here:

Im a college student trying to do a modest build to replace my 660ti and i5-3550

>CPU: i5 6600 skylake 3.3 GhZ - $230
>GPU: MSI R9 390 - $300
>Mobo: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GA-Z170X -$170
>RAM: G Skill Ripjaws V series 2x4gb DDR4 2133 - $52
>SSD: SanDisk 240GB - $80
>PSU: Corsair Hxi HX750i 750 W 80+ Plat. - $130
>Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $90
>Cooling: H100i GTX 240mm Rad. - $110
Total: $1,154.92

Ive had my current rig since my sophomore year in highschool, and I am a sophomore in college so its about time. Im trying to do a full build and only retain my 1TB HDD from my old rig. I am also trying to sell my my old rig currently for like $200-300, if that goes well it'll dampen my expenses.

>Any recommendations
>Im unsatisfied with Nvidia especially with how poorly Fallout 4 has been on my current card (constant crashing)
>>
>>51300025
Use 64 bit version, otherwise it looks gud
>>
>>51300069
thanks senpai, im using 64bit naturally.

Any advice on where to trim some fat or cheapen it? I have built my own rig once before, but it was less sophisticated. I often struggle to remember what will allow overclocking or wont. I know 'K' processors will in the intel line, but ive heard rumors that skylakes will be able to overclock in some capacity or another. Maybe I could run afterburner on the r9 390, and maybe just maybe if I sack up I can Crossfire 2 390's down the line. Which is why I am getting the 750w PSU.
>>
>>51300142

Ditch the AIO and get a cooler for 20-30 burgers. If you aren't overclocking you don't need a cooler capable of handling 200w +.
>>
>>51300168
I really like to keep everything cool, and sometimes when girls come over to watch netflix the CPU fan is going "WHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" it kind of ruins it.
>>
>>51300368
also; I live in New Orleans, but go to college in Baton Rouge (LSU), and ive had it happen twice where we've lost power for whatever reason but our house generator runs everything BUT AC. So, as odd as it sounds I do need some hefty cooling incase that were to happen.
>>
>>51300368

Thats nice, but still doesn't mean you need that beefy of a cooler, the infamous hyper evo 212 will keep that chip nice and cool. That chip has a TDP of around 90w - most single tower coolers are good for 12-150w or so.

You really don't need an AIO on a locked chip.
>>
>>51300416
thank you for your advice my friend, I will adjust accordingly.
>>
>>51299879

That's pretty damn shitty, but that GPU is way crappier than the chip in my laptop. Get that first if you don't have the budget to chuck the whole system and start new. You should be able to run a GTX 750 TI assuming you're working with a prebuilt, thus probably 350W PSU max.
>>
>>51297243
either get the sapphire tri-x, vapor-x or any 290 that isnt made by asus and be done with it
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.