[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What VPN do you use, /g/? Trying to decide on one for myself,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: What_is_encryption.png (282 KB, 550x482) Image search: [Google]
What_is_encryption.png
282 KB, 550x482
What VPN do you use, /g/?

Trying to decide on one for myself, but I'm rather picky. I looked at the list on privacytools.io and they seem nice but I have a few requirements and questions:

>nodes in multiple countries
>can I pick the dns server and forwarder they use?
>>
>>51285848
CactusVPN
>>
>>51286046
Are there any vpns that use dnscrypt?
>>
>>51286305
>Are there any vpns that use dnscrypt?
Alright, so I did some research since I wasn't entirely sure and it seems it is possible for ME to use dnscrypt (client) and the queries will go THROUGH the VPN and be returned to me with the site, at least according to http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/misunderstandings-about-vpns-dns.372060/

Can anyone chime in on this? I thought VPNs used their own name resolvers and there was no way to change this.
>>
expressvpn
>>
>>51286593
>expecting /g/ to know anything that's not completely trivial
>>
I use DNSCrypt. Does OpenVPN send the encrypted DNS queries through the tunnel, to my resolver, or does it use its own resolvers, ignoring dnscrypt, or even using the VPN server's nameresolver, creating a leak (making itself vulnerable to a MITM attack assuming it's not using it)? It seems to me like the latter would happen, since it needs to resolve the name independently of my computer.
How will this play with Unbound, knowing that it's caching DNS queries?

What I suspect will happen is:

DNS query is sent to VPN, to name server, then back to me, then the resolved address will be sent to the VPN and then back to me again.

Am I right?
>>
Private Internet Access
>>
PIA and Vypr
>>
>>51287165
>PIA and Vypr
What's the throughput like? Privatoria is apparently shit in regards to performance, maxing out at 10 megabit, when my internet is 100/10.
Is P2P throttled? Matter of fact, is ANY protocol throttled?
>>
>>51287165
>PIA
It's located in the US... Bad.
>>
>>51287236
Not together, just have multiple accounts at each.

So far PIA has been a champ. Vypr has been giving me issues with the app's. Direct config works fine.
>>
>>51287262
Depends upon what you are doing and wether you really care about subpoenas and storage of log files.

This is a good breakdown for a privacy minded decision : https://www.privacytools.io/#vpn
>>
>>51287263
Is PIA any good in regards to network throughput? I want to be able to max out my 100 mbit connection at will.

>>51287310
>Depends upon what you are doing and wether you really care about subpoenas and storage of log files.
Well, I just don't want data retention and deep packet inspection.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.