[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me >windows keeps bluescreening >go through linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>be me
>windows keeps bluescreening
>go through linux os discs i have lying around
>all of them are scratched to hell
>ubuntuMATE one is in good shape
>install ubuntuMATE

How fucked am I, /g/?
>>
using physical disks at this point in time
>>
>>51284556
You have a hardware problem if you're getting that many BSODs, so pretty fucked.
>>
>>51284572
I always use physical discs to install operating systems. Is that a bad thing?
>>
>>51284572
>not greentexting
>>
File: BXG7IyGIQAAsgqQ.jpg (36 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
BXG7IyGIQAAsgqQ.jpg
36 KB, 600x450
>>51284572
>>
>>51284579
It's running fairly well as of right now, three firefox tabs open and nothing else really going on. Will keep posted.
>>
Linux won't fix your hardware problems you know that?
Unless the reasons for the BSOD's were because you messed up system files
>>
>>51284606
Fucking
>>
>>51284610
Keep us posted, I'd be interested to see how it behaves.
>>
>>51284611
Pretty sure my room mate was fucking around on my laptop, this thing has run perfectly until he moved in. If it's a hardware problem I'll just buy a memepad :^)
>>
>>51284610
Please keep us posted, I'm very interested in how this pans out.
>>
<implying
>>
>>51284859
20 minute check-in. Everything is fine, importing photos for another thread and getting ready to rice this shit up.
>>
>>51284590
It's not a bad thing if you're updating OS after installation and you have Disc Drive
I mean updating Linux. not Win 7 to 10
>>
>Ubuntu MATE
>rice

yh ok kid
>>
>>51285167
You can't rice this shit, install Gentoo
>>
>>51284556
Install gentoo.
Install trinity.
>>
>>51284556
>jack
Does this mean you are a UK citizen?
>>
>>51285270
>i have literally 0 installation media available to me
>>
>>51284579
My laptop has constant BSODs under windows. It hasn't had a single issue ever since I installed linux on it. I tired real hard to keep windows too, I installed windows 7 enterprise and ultimate, vista enterprise and ultimate, and even xp.
>>
>>51284556
Stallman copypasta in action
Son, I am disappoint
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51285293
>gentoo livecd not needed
You can install Gentoo through the Ubuntu Mate installation disk?
>>
>>51285361
I also don't want to instal Gentoo. I wish my Debian disc wasn't kill.
>>
>>51285353
Oh man I done fucked this up.
>>
>>51285361
Yeah. The cool thing about Gentoo is that you can do the install from anywhere as long as you have unix tools and a stage3.
>>
>>51284572
>physical disks
oh, you are one of those cloud faggots. how do you even boot into your operating system? forget that, how would you install a new OS without using a physical disk?
>inb4 with a flash drive (aka physical disk)
also a disc isnt a disk you stupid fuck, kill yourself
>>
It's been an hour and everything is till great. I'm digging through my house like an A B S O L U T E M A D M A N trying to find installation media to get over to debian quick, but i guess it was just windows. Thanks, /g/.
>>
>>>/r/13930654
>>
>>51285784
All of my why
>>
Ubuntu mate is pretty good
>>
>>51285167
See you soon senpai.
>>
>>51285243
>>51285167
You do realise ricing is distro neutral
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.