[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fast Food Counter Jockeys on Suicide Watch!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2
File: momentum%20machines.png (612 KB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
momentum%20machines.png
612 KB, 1200x750
A company called Momentum Machines has built a robot that could radically change the fast-food industry.

The company's robot can "slice toppings like tomatoes and pickles immediately before it places the slice onto your burger, giving you the freshest burger possible." The robot is "more consistent, more sanitary, and can produce ~360 hamburgers per hour." That's one burger every 10 seconds.

The next generation of the device will offer "custom meat grinds for every single customer. Want a patty with 1/3 pork and 2/3 bison ground to order? No problem."

Momentum Machines cofounder Alexandros Vardakostas told Xconomy his "device isn’t meant to make employees more efficient. It’s meant to completely obviate them." Indeed, marketing copy on the company's site reads that their automaton "does everything employees can do, except better."

>"does everything employees can do, except better."
GET REKT. Enough demanding getting paid more otherwise BURGERTRON 9000 will come and do your job for you.
>>
Didn't expect to see this here. I worked on the vision system of that machine. Pretty cool.
>>
this is awesome.

fresh burger vending machines when?
>>
>robot making my food instead of a teenager who will spit in it or an indian who uses his never-washed hands to wipe his ass
BASED. Now let me use a touchpad to pay for my meal and it's absolutely perfect.
>>
Is it capable of custom orders or is it going to pump out the same burger every time?
>>
What if someone wants something specific like no pickles or ketchup? You can't just take it off, they'll taste it and get mad.

Also, imagine the backlash. I'm sure tons of college students in the US will be rioting.
>>
File: old_men_for_money.gif (965 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
old_men_for_money.gif
965 KB, 300x297
>>51284334
>mfw my state just passed that stupid 15 dollar and hour law for fast food workers
Get ready to get fucked wage slaves. Your greed has opened the Pandora's Box for technological advancement. It will be nice to get fresher better food for the prices that are already rising.

>>51284407
The commissary in my college lets you do just that. Some places are already rolling them out. It is so much more convenient. The future is now.
>>
>>51284442
>calling others wage slaves
>going to college
>>
>>51284462
If you're implying that I'm tens of thousands in debt for an art degree working a wage slave job to get along, you're wrong.
>>
>>51284417
Reading is an invaluable skill.
>>
>>51284361
How does it feel to contribute to the downfall of burger flippers?
>>
>>51284334
One step closer to eliminating the need for humans.
>>
>>51284523
Anyone who works for a living is a wage slave. Unless you own a business or are a trust fund kid, or worse a NEET you are indeed a wage slave.
>>
I have bets you will end up spending more money maintaining the machine than you would on the burger flippers and the customers wouldn't even appreciate the difference.
>>
>>51284425
I'm pretty sure if it can cut the ingredients to order, you can decide which specific ingredients (and condiments) you want on your burger.

also, fast food isn't the only entry-level job out there. there are a ton of jobs for inexperienced people as long as they're willing to work.

I put myself through college having never worked a single fast food or food service job in my life.
>>
>The company's robot can "slice toppings like tomatoes and pickles immediately before it places the slice onto your burger, giving you the freshest burger possible."

when i think fast food, definitely the first thing that crosses my mind is "made with fresh ingredients"
>>
>>51284334
The only reason fast food employees still exist is because most customers prefer to be served by human beings than faceless robots. They will not go anywhere as long as this attitude persists.
>>
>>51284578
>Anyone who works for a living is a wage slave.
You're fucking stupid, a wage slave is someone who works and just meets end's means, not anyone working for a living.
>>
>>51284619
You'd still be served by a human, just your food wouldn't be put together by one.
>>
>>51284578
Anyone who lives paycheck to paycheck is a wage slave. There's a difference.
>>
Hack the machine to get triple deluxe combo meal with happy toy, for only 99 cents.
>>
>>51284619
Wut, the order terminal things are the first thing I go to, especially when ordering with 3 of four persons. The humans always make mistakes or think that certain menus don't exist etc. And they have to take orders within 60 seconds or something. Not a very relaxed experience.
The only problem is that the terminals are a bit slow, but they are still better than humans. Do murricans have these btw?
>>
>>51284819
Reclusive 4chan users =/= most people
>>
>>51284898
My dad too
>>
>>51284334
Good
>>
How long until all unskilled labour is replaced and society can move forward?
>>
>>51284553
glorius.
>>
>>51285024
about 5 years before skilled and 2 after creative

why don't I have an AI in my phone constantly feeding me new music?
>>
>>51284587
The already low wages will surely go down with a sudden influx of fired burger workers. Nobody's gonna ask for more $$$ if there's 30 people out there that would do more for less.
>>
>>51285393
We're one combination of speech recognition software and a machine learning algorithm connected to Pandora away from it.
>>
I saw a spongebob episode like that
>>
>>51285492
Minimum wage prevents this, but what will happen is selection bias. So we'll end up with the best fast food workers from the existing pool; the kind that seem happy to be working and not angry at their life decisions.
>>
>fast food
>fresh
>>
>>51284334
good luck cleaning that thing.
>>
>>51285985

fast food can be fresh tho
look at in n out
>>
>>51285533
i was more so thinking making it all on the fly..
but that could be cool too
>>
>>51286033
>good luck cleaning that thing.

Well thats no problem, we can hire all the ex-counter jockeys to come back and clean the thing that took their jobs away. they have to eat, so they'll take any wage.
>>
What happens if and when this thing inevitably breaks down and I have to wait to get my burger? And what is the cost to operate this machine even on a slow day?
>>
>>51286650
>And what is the cost to operate this machine even on a slow day?
Probably less than paying a bunch of workers on a slow day if it can output fast enough. Long term they'll no doubt be more efficient in terms of cost of operation.

If it breaks, best solution is a backup and the vendor providing support within warranty or contract, which should be common for any sophisticated technology to appeal to business-class buyers.
>>
>>51284361
Does it use OpenCV or some other CV kit?
>>
jesus christ did anyone even think about the unemployment?
>>
>>51285978
>the kind that seem happy to be working
No one is happy about working at a minimum wage job. Some people are good at faking it though.
>>
>>51284586
400 burgers an hour with small waiting time, everything electronic you just use a machine to order and there you go without the need to get other people plastering food "deals" in your face when you just want that one thing.
Sure, everyone is not even going to notice a difference.
>>
>>51286650
>when this thing inevitably breaks down and I have to wait to get my burger
Redundancy, and ideally servicing it regularly so that doesn't happen.
>>
>>51287206
>being a neo-luddite
>>
this is going to be a good thing, something making your food that doesn't need to go to the bathroom and get shit on its hands and doesn't wash it off so everyone gets sick

i'm more than game to see more and more robots coming into the work place, i say this as an unemployed leech that doesn't even have a high school diploma, the only people could blame for not getting their order right is themselves, no one needs to deal with the general public and all the bullshit they start
>>
I've seen variations of these machines proposed, but they never go into service because they're much more expensive to install and maintain than all the manufacturers let on.

Another thing to consider is that paying $15 an hour is much cheaper than paying $200-500K each for a fleet of these machines with another $2 mil in yearly maintenance contracts per location, especially since the majority of fast food chains aren't directly operated by corporate ownership, but by franchisees looking for a turnkey business.

Fast food franchisees are going to have to bite the bullet and pay $15 an hour at some point, because the alternative is even more expensive and less likely to increase revenue.
>>
>>51284334
It's about fucking time, Why we pay people to make burgers when a robot could easily do it is beyond me. This is gonna fuck the economy badly though.
>>
>>51284664
>>51284737
>wagekeks actually believe this
You're giving away 1/3 of your life to make someone else money in return for a tiny fraction of his profits, this is slavery. You have to do things the bosses' way or the highway and he can discard you whenever he wants. Working for other people is shit-tier.
>>
>>51287907
By this logic train stations wouldn't have switched to automatic ticket machines. All it takes is for someone (maybe this guy) to make the tech affordable enough for it to be worth it.
>>
>>51284361
>somebody posting on /g/ actually has a job in tech

Holy shit.
>>
>>51287907
[citation needed] for those numbers you blatantly just pulled out your arse
>>
Then who's gonna hire all those lib art, english, women's studies, history and music majors? They can't even claim patriarchy because robots don't identify as male/female without being programmed as such or given freedom to choose
>>
>>51287966
>to make someone else money in return for a tiny fraction of his profits, this is slavery
That's not slavery, that's called having a job. Stop over-exaggerating things. I bet you're such a special snowflake that you think you deserve all the money for none of the risk of running or starting a business. You're only one person of a massive team who all need to get paid as well, get over it, you're not special.
>>
>>51287907
My time in fast food, every machine would break down.

Pretty much every week you would have a technician out for one thing or another.
>>
>>51288092
>I get my entire worldview from the internet: the post

The idea that the majority of graduates in those fields would respond like a Tumblr special snowflake is pretty ridiculous. Not to mention the fact most of them won't end up burger flipping anyway. Try media/management/advertising/publishing etc.
>>
>>51284898
hey fuck you man, I had to bike out today on my bi-weekly ramen run
>>
>>51288209
Are you telling me you've been in all these fields and met people with useless degrees holding jobs in them?
>>
>>51288478
not him, but my project manager at grooveshark had only some kind of art degree, she had no education in tech to my knowledge, she had a fucking javascript for dummies book on her desk she was learning with.

This caused many fights arguing that javascript is indeed not php.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.