[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
stupid questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: JUST_DO_IT.jpg (78 KB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
JUST_DO_IT.jpg
78 KB, 456x320
No stupid questions thread. Figured I'd start.

>spent 20 hours downloading fallout 4.
>When extracting the iso file it give me a corruption error.
>mfw

I'm more of a hardware person. If anyone has questions about soldering I'd be happy to help.
>>
what is your question?
You downloaded a torrent from an unkown source and it turns out to be shit, wouldn't be the first time this happens nor the last time.
>>
>>51278259
It was by codex. My question is can repair the torrent or do I have to redownload?
>>
>>51278277
no idea, ask /v/.
>>
>>51278245
With high profile games, trolls and devs like to post fake torrents to fuck with pirates. Well done.
>>
>>51278288
I doubt codex would upload a dud.
>>
>videogames
le >>>/v/eddit
>>
>>51278296
Oh, so we're not talking about a torrent here?
>>
>>51278287
I'd rather ask /t/

/v/ is shit
>>
>>51278245
DDL? You are fucked. Torrent? "Check hash" in your client.

My question: Can a slightly inflated capacitor near pcie slots cause this? I'm pretty sure it's hardware issue with motherboard - tried replacing everything including cpu, tried reflashing.
>>
File: 20151105_211956.jpg (535 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151105_211956.jpg
535 KB, 2048x1152
>>51278430
Fuck me.
>>
>>51278245
if its a torrent

open up your client
right click
"force re-check"

torents dont download a single file they download chunks off everyonbe in the network, this will re-validate those chunks and redownload any that fail.

could be 5mb to redownload could be 5gb to redownload
good luck

if its not a torrent re-download the whole thing sorry, its either a bad upload (AKA troll) or just a bad download
>>
>>51278455
Thank you I actually started thus process this morning but had to leave for work. I hope it rights itself. If I remember correctly my machine crashed during so there's probably a few bits missing. Hopefully not a few gigs.
>>
>>51278449
time to replace capacitator / change motherboard
>>
>>51278484
This
>>51278449
That sucks. What type of mobo do you have? Estimated hours on it?
>>
>>51278501
Asus Crosshair (The Crosshair, before the numbers, before they made a dozen rog boards per chip)
Bought it in 2008, maybe late 2007. Back when $150 for a motherboard was almost unacceptably high. Had it running nearly 24x7 ever since.
>>
>>51278484
>change
I'm way too attached to it, probably going to spend more money on repairs than some temporary replacement would cost.
Though maintenance mode leds could make a nice nightlight if I can get them to work without using the whole atx plug and brick.
>>
I was talking about shitty security cam security and how there were a lot of websites that showed all the video from these badly secured cameras. I wanted to find a link to share but I can't seem to find one. Does anyone have a link perhaps?
>>
The external fan controls on a case only control the chassis fans, right? Not the gpu fans or cpu cooler?
>>
>>51280367
They control whatever you connect there.
>>
how the fuck do i set up a steam controller for pirated fallout 4
>>
>>51278277
If it's a torrent, there should be an option to force a recheck.
>>
>>51280459
This, I downloaded a corrupted iso before. After I forced a recheck it turned out only 97% of the data was validated. Let it download the missing 3% and bam, iso was working.
>>
>>51280517
many people don't realize .torrent files contain a list of hashes for each block, and can be used to verify the 'contents' of a torrent

the files you verify don't need to be 'from' that torrent either, just have the same name

you could say, download a ubuntu iso from their website, and verify it with a torrent 'containing' the same iso (and possibly redownload just the blocks that fail the hash comparison)
>>
>>51280794
Holy shit that's awesome. I'm surprised we haven't invented a way to backup data through p2p sharing.
>>
>>51280986
>backup data through p2p sharing.
that's quite vague, i bet i could point you towards something if you could be more specific

for example;
a way to copy only the /difference/ (determined by hashes) between two data sets? try rsync
a whole net where data is looked up by its hash instead of specific server/path naming? check out ipfs
>>
>>51281086
No I was thinking more of a giant ~500 TB torrent archive of music, movies, tv shows, isos, and programs.

However instead of seeding the whole thing millions of users would seed 1-2GBs of random data and in unity would give the archive more than a GB of download speed for any file you wanted.

If you ever accidentally deleted a movie or your hard drive got corrupted you could use the giant archive torrent to download the file again or recheck files and fix the corrupted data instead of downloading the entire file all over again.

I know it sounds crazy but with 1gbps internet becoming more widespread and affordable I wish this could become a reality.

Also instead of backing up data to the cloud you could back up data to a private torrent and seed it from home. This way you can access pc data files from your phone like hq movies or other files.
>>
>>51280986
There was once a project called "localhost" that was somehow forked from azureus and thus used torrents to create sort of singular public version-branching cloud/share/repository kinda resembling japanese p2p systems (PD etc) but based on torrents.

Also literally bittorrent sync.
>>
>>51281329
sounds like IPFS or DC++ to me
>>
>>51281329
Yup, localhost.
>Localhost is a program that lets you access a shared, world-wide file system through your web browser. This file system is maintained in a fully decentralized way by all of the computers running Localhost. The program uses BitTorrent technology, and P2P Distributed Hashtable technology called Kademlia. (Localhost is a modification of Azureus.)
>You can think of this program as one big shared network drive, built using BitTorrent so that it scales well and doesn't need a central server. You could also think of this program as a decentralized index for files distributed via BitTorrent; one that naturally evolves to keep the most popular files, and remove the unpopular ones. You could also think of it as a Wikipedia for files.
Oh and I've never used it. Pretty sure nobody but devs and their family did.
>>
>>51281429
that sounds very similar to ipfs

>"InterPlanetary File System (IPFS), is a content-addressable, peer-to-peer hypermedia distribution protocol. Nodes in the IPFS network form a distributed file system."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterPlanetary_File_System
>>
>>51279039
>>51279039
what do
>>
>>51278245
So guys I want a tablet for school, because my CCNA classes force us to read all of our content on Cisco's NetAcad website. I don't have a laptop, and can't be arsed to go back home to my desktop everytime I need to read a chapter. I'm thinking of the Galaxy Tab 4. Is this thing good? If TouchJizz is the dealbreaker, I'll just install a new rom anyways. Thanks in advance
>>
>>51278449
Holy fuck. And I thought 2.1v was excessive for DDR2. How has your ram not burnt to a crisp?

Whatever the case, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one rocking a Core2. I've got an Athlon 860k as well, but I dusted off my Core2 so I could make a hackintosh. Feels good.
>>
>>51281593
>Holy fuck. And I thought 2.1v was excessive for DDR2. How has your ram not burnt to a crisp?
It's just that good, fucking OCZ. Seriously though, it _requires_ 2.2v to operate at full speed, despite whatever DDR2 specs recommend.
And it passed 1 hour of memtest after this shit happened, I'm "only" getting bsods in Windows every few minutes, while somehow Linux runs fine - youtube, video encoding, "stress" doing all tests simultaneously. And no, it's not actually hdd or install issue.

Oh and sorry to disappoint you, it's Phenom II. In AM2 motherboard, not even AM2+. This laptop I'm posting from , however, is C2D.
>>
What's a quiet hard drive? I have a wd green and it makes too much noise
>>
>>51283121
Enterprise/media, for example Red and whatever low-rpm RE is called now
But the quietest HDDs I've had were RE4 rev0 with enabled AAM but good luck searching for those.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.