[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newfag here, how can I get into CAD? Which Software is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: CAD.jpg (265 KB, 1001x725) Image search: [Google]
CAD.jpg
265 KB, 1001x725
Newfag here,
how can I get into CAD?
Which Software is the best for a newfag like me?
Any ideas?
>>
File: 2.jpg (805 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
805 KB, 1280x800
CATIA is pretty good.

It's rather user friendly and it's what Boeing uses to design their aircraft.
>>
>>51277924
It depends on your needs, but SolidWorks is an excellent software, very intuitive and easy to use.
>>
Start with PTC Creo, its good.

>>51278252
CATIA is only useful when designing aerodynamics, other than that, its shit.
>>
>>51277924
Solidworks is amazing.
>>
Austodesk inventor is BOOTYFULL it may be fucktons of money but its worth it.
>>
>>51277924
not op but same question

i used to 3d though, cinema4d was my shit.

most cad software seems fucking wacy though.
>>
File: a.png (345 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
a.png
345 KB, 1920x1080
i use solidworks myself

didn't do any training or anything, just figured things out as a i went, still doing so actually
just search for things you're trying to do and you'll get the hang of it

ps. get a 3D mouse, they're awesome
>>
>>51278478
>3D mouse
Whats that ?
>>
>>51278473
C4D Isn't bad
Its actually good, even as a starting point.
>>
>>51278491
I don't understand why you can't google.
>>
File: 05.jpg (169 KB, 1400x943) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
169 KB, 1400x943
>>51278491
mine's a 3dconnexion spacepilot which i got second hand

basically, it's a mouse that uses a large 'nub' which can be moved in all 6 axis, allowing quick 'natural' camera movement

i can do things like zoom/pan/rotate all at the same time in one movement
>>
>>51278505
Google is botnet
>>
>>51277924
the closest thing I came to working 3d was Hammer (map maker for CS 1.6)
>>
File: 7_62x39.jpg (74 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
7_62x39.jpg
74 KB, 900x675
>>51278502
i said it was my shit, not it was

the tree style modifiers were so much nicer to use than max's

pic related, once i figured out the basic physics engine i was using it for all kinds of random shit, like sticking gunpowder in a shell.

those were made as realistic as i could make them (physically, not rendered)

is there one that works in a very similar way C4D does?
>>
>>51278619
Nice work there.
>is there one that works in a very similar way C4D does?
Yes, go with Modo, it even can be used as a CAD software.
>>
>>51278665
is that the thing that a few years ago was going to be open source or something?

i remember something i think about that, ill look into it thanks.

Maybe i can finally design that AK pattern rifle i want.
>>
>>51277924

start with sketchup

then move into solidworks
>>
solidworks is a big player in industry (creo, AutoCAD, catia have a share too) and the built in tutorials are quite good
>>
>>51277924
get a Catia V5 student version, do their tutorials
in my opinion it's the best CAD-program out there, on the other hand i only have experience in SolidWorks+SolidCam, Autodesk Inventor and ProE, started as a design engineer in the automotive industry some years ago

depending where you're from, all german automotive OEMs, except mercedes, are using catia, so do their suppliers
>>
Looking to build a computer solely for CAD/CAM work at home. Probably Solidworks/SolidCAM, AutoCAD, and Catia. I do lots of contract work and companies like to have their stuff done in their preferred program for comparability reasons. I don't mind.

Regardless, would it be a good idea to go with a Linux-based OS to maximize performance, or are there no emulators available?
>>
librecad
>>
>>51279508
Can you even run Solidworks on Linux?
>>
>>51279508
>Regardless, would it be a good idea to go with a Linux-based OS to maximize performance, or are there no emulators available?
The performance would be shit on Linux since you have to use Wine.
>>
>>51279890
Nope, but there's BRL-CAD, LibreCAD, OpenSCAD and others if those are your cup of tea.

BRL-CAD is the US Army's cup of tea.
>>
>>51279944
You forgot FreeCAD, KiCAD, Salome etc.
>>
>>51279944
>and others

the list of good software is too long :)
>>
File: Solid-Edge.png (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Solid-Edge.png
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>51278406
If you enjoy using bottom-tier shit.

Solid Edge and NX are the only parisolid modelers worth using, just ask Tesla or SpaceX.

Dassault literally has to buy prisolid from Siemens just to keep their shit tier Solid Works alive.
>>
We have a board for this
>>>/3/
>>
>>51277924
Get Fusion 360. It is free for students, private persons and startups and has an integrated CAM and structural analysis module and a similar interaface like Autodesk Inventor.

You don't need that professional pirated shit anyway.
>>
>>51281928
Good luck waiting a week to get a reply.
>>
>>51281664
>Dassault literally has to buy prisolid from Siemens just to keep their shit tier Solid Works alive.
The thing is, Dassault also literally bought Solidworks to keep CATIA alive.
>>
>>51283027
CATIA and Solid Works were never really in competition though. CATIA is positioned against NX while Solid Works competes with Solid Edge.

The way I see it, NX, Solid Edge, and Solid works all use parisolid with CATIA being the outlier.
>>
>>51278478
>>51278538
>>51278491

Professional Solid Edge user here. Stay away from 3D mouses. I was given one to try for three weeks. All I got was cancer and unproductive work.

>>51281664
How would you compare Solid Works to Solid edge? Why is it shit?
(I'm a sheet metal designer, therefore I mostly use .psm, .asm and .dft areas of the program).
>>
File: download.jpg (128 KB, 1280x908) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
128 KB, 1280x908
>>51283677
The Spacecontroller I was given.
Nothing you can't do with ctrl+shift+mouse.

Not having your left hand on the Keyboard to type in number is also annoying.
>>
>>51281664
NX is good but expensive as fuck. Not really an option for home or small company use.
ProE now Creo is more and more retarded with each version (just count how may steps you need, how many mouse clicks you need to do the same thing as in SW or Inventor)
Haven't used Catia for like 6 years or more so I cant comment on that
>>
I'm a machinist's apprentice and a lot of my normal days go by in Catia where I draw up 3D parts and make assemblies from them.

I like Catia much better than Inventor or Solidworks, but then again; I don't really use any of the super advanced engineering features like stress testing and whatever other things they can do.

The thing that makes Catia really great is the built-in CAM software, which runs in the same program as the part designer.

No need for MasterCAM or stuff like that as long as you have the right POST-processor for your machines in Catia.
>>
Solidworks
YouTube vids
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.