[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Installing Fedora for a mate, what DE should I give him?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: wallhaven-192825.png (479 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-192825.png
479 KB, 1920x1080
Installing Fedora for a mate, what DE should I give him?
>>
MATE, obviously.
>>
>>51270189
i3 or awesome if he's competent.

Mate if he's not.

Gnome if you hate him.
>>
do you hate him or something?

why would you pick the worst distro?
>>
Post in sqt or flt, this doesn't deserve a thread
>>
File: Konqi.png (27 KB, 220x233) Image search: [Google]
Konqi.png
27 KB, 220x233
there only ever was one right answer, anon
>>
Unity
>>
>>51270209
got any suggestions instead
>>
>>51270189
Gnome,if he's not a complete faggot.
KDE or Unity if he is.
>>
>>51270280
I think you misspelled "such" as "not" in that first sentence, and the second one is just a lost cause.
>>
>>51270189
mate
>>
>>51270219
kek
>>
>>51270228

literally anything else
fedora is the laughing stock of distros
>>
>>51270385
>used by the creator of the linux kernel.
>it just works sometimes
>laughing stock
>>
>>51270385
that's arch
>>
>>51270548

Last time I saw a Linus video he had OpenSuse on his screen senpai
>>
>>51270580
>>51270562
>>51270548
Actually he and Stallman agreed that Arch was the most user-friendly and best distro.
http://www.linuxveda.com/2015/02/11/linus-torvalds-awarded-arch-linux-consumer-friendly-distribution/
>>
>>51270650
>Editor’s Note: It’s spoof, satire, humor. It’s all made up stuff. It’s fake. If you liked the humor piece, send us more ideas for future stories. If you can write a humor piece, just send it across.
>>
GNOME might be laggy depending on hardware, and a lot of people end up needing to rice ti to be productive
KF5 is buggy
KDE4 is ugly
Cinnamon is usually a good bet, but if gnome is laggy...

I'd go with KDE4.
>>
>>51270189
Cinnamon if he is coming from windows.
>>
>>51270385
As an ex arch user who no longer had time to babysit and arch install so is now using fedora i disagree.
>>
>>51270209
Fuck off m8. Fedora is a great distro.

>>51270228
Don't listen to that kuck.

Anyway what is the hardware of your friend? If it's a relatively newish hardware, around 2-3 years old then I suggest to stick to the default Workstation spin that comes with GNOME.

If the hardware is older, like a Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM or less then I suggest either MATE or Xfce.
>>
>>51270189
if you have to ask: defaults.
only Gnome is considered release critical, so others will be buggy.
>>
>>51270217
except Fedora's lead KDE SC maintainer stepped down and called Fedora's 23 KDE spin the worst ever.
>>
>>51271703
>I'd go with KDE4.
only Fedora 21 still has KDE Plasma 4 and will reach end of life within a month. so great suggestion.
>>
>>51272718
I don't use KDE but the KDE packages that bad in Fedora?

I imagine they are upstream packages straight from KDE itself.

Fedora usually doesn't change shit.

If the KDE spin is shit, is because KDE itself is shit.
>>
d
>>
a
>>
>>51272963
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kde/2015-October/016315.html
>>
>>51272963
>I imagine they are upstream packages straight from KDE itself.
>Fedora usually doesn't change shit.
that's not true. Gnome always had priority and if Gnome devs wanted some special system library, KDE maintainers had to live with it and provide hacks.

here's some KDE blog post from 2114, where all KDE maintainers that matter responded:
https://blogs.kde.org/2014/08/13/upstream-and-downstream-why-packaging-takes-time
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.